PDA

View Full Version : Coyote troubles - suggestions?

Hulk
05-22-2012, 01:15 AM
Our neighborhood is across the road from open space, and we've dealt with coyotes for years. They occasionally venture into our neighborhood and eat small dogs and slow cats. They are usually afraid of humans, so seeing one was unusual.

However, the year there seems to be a coyote that has abandoned all fear of humans. Our neighbor saw it at their back sliding glass door, and we have seen it on the side of our house, trotting down the sidewalk, in the middle of the street, etc.

How do we kill it or catch it? I'm open to suggestions.

Corbet
05-22-2012, 06:00 AM
You probably can't kill it the way I would in our neighborhood. You might contact the DOW about relocating it?

Uncle Ben
05-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Give it it's last meal!

Corbet
05-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Give it it's last meal! Only problem with that is what else might eat it? Neighbor's dog or cat? Something smaller that then gets eaten by your neighbor's dog or cat? Personally I'd take the chance on shooting it in any neighborhood over poison.

Nail it a few times with a BB gun and it probably won't come back.

DaveInDenver
05-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Yeah poisoning them is not good in neighborhoods. I'd call Centennial or Arapahoe County, I think they had someone who was tracking and putting them down.

Uncle Ben
05-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Only problem with that is what else might eat it? Neighbor's dog or cat? Something smaller that then gets eaten by your neighbor's dog or cat? Personally I'd take the chance on shooting it in any neighborhood over poison.

Nail it a few times with a BB gun and it probably won't come back.

Good point! I would definatly make it scared of humans again! Chase it out of your yard while you are slapping kitchen pans together while running at it.

Red_Chili
05-22-2012, 07:01 AM
You probably can't kill it the way I would in our neighborhood. You might contact the DOW about relocating it?
+1 on contacting the DOW. Also your county's animal control. Front range counties are quite a bit more aware of this issue than in times past.

Don't poison it. It's a horrible way to die.

LARGEONE
05-22-2012, 07:04 AM
We've had a lot of issues with coyotes in our area in north broomfield...so much so that they called in national experts to study them. They found that all attacks on children in the Anthem neighborhood were from one red coyote who was not scared of humans. They ended up killing him because they couldn't make him scared of humans.

I would definitely report this particular coyote and tell the wildlife official you have thrown rocks, yelled, chased, etc the coyote and he doesn't act scared of humans at all. They should either relocate him or put him down. If they dont, then I would take him out...especially if there are small children around.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
I have a daisy 880 you can borrow, if you don't have a bb gun. I am a terrible shot, so I use a live trap to catch our neighborhood squirrels.

The bb gun would probably help scare off the coyote, doubt it would kill it.

Corbet
05-22-2012, 08:12 AM
The bb gun would probably help scare off the coyote, doubt it would kill it.

Only a very well placed shot from one of the new high powered BB guns is going to down a coyote. But a few shots in the a$$ will send most anything running. Unless there is a food source to return to I don't see it wanting more.

The last coyote in our yard just looked at me. Did not seem concerned. Once it saw Porter it took off? I would have thought it the other way. Unless it was try to sucker Porter to follow. Coyotes are smart that way with family pets. Once in the woods along a dog is easy picking for the pack. Although Porter had this one on sheer size. I have not seen it again since.

baja1d
05-22-2012, 08:27 AM
.22 & an evening beer. Not too much noise, had a similar issue in the mountains

farnhamstj
05-22-2012, 08:29 AM
I have a paint ball gun you are welcome to borrow.

Red_Chili
05-22-2012, 08:43 AM
You'll be able to tell if it's the same coyote for a day or two that way... :lmao:

Corbet
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
The funny thing about the paintball gun is it won't hurt the coyote but I'd wager you'd get in more trouble "harassing" it with a paintball than you would killing it with the real deal.

Red_Chili
05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
You need a small game license and an area legal to discharge a firearm to do it legally, though.

Except in Wyoming of course.

rover67
05-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Just call the DOW and see if they'll deal. If not then we'll figure something out.

Corbet
05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
run it over with the Cruiser.

Corbet
05-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Dah, this is your solution. You need an Archer... Problem solved:wav:

Inukshuk
05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
run it over with the Cruiser.

Dah, this is your solution. You need an Archer... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=28800&stc=1&d=1337710373

Corbet is spot on, and keep these guys phone number handy!

http://www.wildlifelawyer.com/

Rezarf
05-22-2012, 10:32 PM
I was gonna say bow too, however in my yard with my kiddo's around and I'd lay it down quick with a 12ga. (make my day law ;) )We had one running through our old townhomes, I spoke with many of my nieghbors to call me first if they heard one lone gubshot. If one were in my yard and i had the time, I'd dispatch it.

Red_Chili
05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
MMDL would not cover you. Contact the DOW and / or animal control.

Hulk
05-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll pull out my old pellet gun and get it ready in case I see it again.

Snowrun
05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
I would strongly advise against using the pellet gun. Bill Morgan is right on the money. Let DOW/Animal control deal with it. In many jurisdictions discharging a pellet gun/BB gun/arrow etc is the same as firing off a firearm. Also in today's politically correct world some might construe shooting an animal with a BB without intending on killing it as animal cruelty. Also there are a bunch of hunting/wildlife regulations that apply too. If you are concerned about a coyote them being a threat to your family(Family pets not included) you may consider a CCW for when you are away from the house.

RockRunner
05-24-2012, 07:45 AM
We have them wondering around Roxborough all the time but they are still scared of us. The DOW has set up traps in the area but we have gone old school. I got a nice slingshot for $20 and practiced for a while, now I have hit two of them and our cul de sac is clear now.

Give it a try, slingshots are fun and effective. Also as far as I know they are not illegal to use in the city limits.

Good luck:thumb:

Red_Chili
05-24-2012, 08:32 AM
...some might construe shooting an animal with a BB without intending on killing it as animal cruelty. Also there are a bunch of hunting/wildlife regulations that apply too....
Yep, harassing wildlife. You'd feel dumb for getting busted for such a thing.

They were here first. Says the guy who lives in lion and bear as well as coyote country (we have one who surfs the neighborhood but is not yet bold, and a neighbor lost two goats to a lion fairly recently). Yes I go heeled when hiking in the back 40.

Would only discharge in a case of self defense and only as a last resort.

SRT08BUS
05-24-2012, 09:50 AM
We have had issues with them and we try and do the same thing as we do when we see a bear, make a whole lot of noise and yell at them as to make them not want to be around humans, we also have issues as well with people allowing foxes and coyotes to get close as to get good picks or deciding to leave trash out the night before which kinda desensitize them to us after awhile. Making sure we do not feed our animals outside will help but only help if those around do the same. And for legal reasons I would leave any assaults on animals, no matter how nonlethal, to the D.O.W. or law unless in a life threatening situation.

Hulk
05-24-2012, 09:25 PM
This whole area is new to me. I appreciate all the comments. It's interesting to hear that coyotes are such a beloved animal that shooting one with a pellet gun is against the law. Is that true for poisoning them too (not that I was considering poison)? Can you trap them?

What about rats? Are they protected too? Or is there another category for them?

Can I trap rabbits in my yard, kill them and eat them?

I'm actually serious about all these questions.

066wally
05-24-2012, 11:30 PM
What it boils down to is political correctness. To many people don't get that wild animals are dangerous. Big city mentality is what we have to deal with. Grandad wouldn't have thought twice about blasting one in the front yard with his trusty Stevens 12 gauge shotgun.

Coyotes aren't beloved in my mind but I know better than to kill one in town. They are predators and you can kill them in the wild as long as you have a small game license, year round and as many as you like.

Rats are vermin and there are no laws about killing them as far as I know.

Rabbits have a season and like coyotes I don't think you can harm them except in the wild.

I wouldn't tell anyone if I knew you did though.

I recently found 4 dead squirrels in the dumpster, I now how they got there and I didn't give a hoot about it. My neighbors would have crapped a load if they'd seen them.

I know that not too long ago, the DOW had hired what they called "sharp shooters" to take care of the coyotes out near Lone Tree. I don't know if they are still employing that system of management. Seems to me they were night shooting them. I doubt it was in neighborhoods.

I'd call the DOW, fish and game, or the police if I had a coyote hanging around my place because I don't want to get fined or lose hunting or gun ownership privileges.

I live smack dab in Denver and I see coyotes once in a while. Foxes used to be more prevalent but I think the Coyotes have run them off.

Squishy!
05-25-2012, 12:25 AM
An interesting thing happened today right along these lines. A group of high schoolers decided it'd be good fun to shoot an air rifle at rabbits on the property of the apartments I supervise. They killed two and severely wounded two more. The kids were LAUGHING. It about made me sick. But regardless they may be facing charges of discharging a firearm in public (might have been the cop just scaring them, is that a feasible charge?) and other possible charges.

bomber22
05-25-2012, 05:55 AM
i know alot of people don't coyotes, but i'm thinking along the lines of it's the same as a bear or say a mountian lion. WE just keep squeezing them out of thier own habitat. but at the same time i would't want to see anybody get hurt, what to do

DaveInDenver
05-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Coyotes are not the same as wolves and lions. Not all animals suffer with humans, coyotes (and skunks, raccoons, squirrels, etc) adapt well and often thrive with development because their main competition (wolves for coyotes) or predator do not adapt to development. Before there was a 'Denver' there were coyotes and it's likely there were relatively fewer of them in that ecosystem. For the problems with children and pets they also keep down rodent populations, so there's no reason to exterminate them out of hand. OTOH, they're not endangered and killing one that is aggressive to humans or eating pets isn't something to lament. Just be legal and humane.

Red_Chili
05-25-2012, 11:29 AM
An interesting thing happened today right along these lines. A group of high schoolers decided it'd be good fun to shoot an air rifle at rabbits on the property of the apartments I supervise. They killed two and severely wounded two more. The kids were LAUGHING. It about made me sick. But regardless they may be facing charges of discharging a firearm in public (might have been the cop just scaring them, is that a feasible charge?) and other possible charges.
There is a high correlation between animal cruelty from teens and later more disturbing sociopathic behavior.

It amounts to a diminished capacity for empathy. Yeah that is a professionally trained appraisal, not mere opinion.

Just be legal and humane. +1
The more studies are done, the more we realize animals have as full a range of emotions as humans do, just not the capacity to verbalize them with nuance. Pain and terror and anguish are among them. This is far from political correctness.

rover67
05-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Alright, seriously.... do the "right thing" and call the DOW and tell 'em about it. In the mean time if it looks like it's gonna hurt something tag it's ass with a pellet, sling shot, rock, hell anything.

You aren't gonna kill it. We used to chase dogs off our property like that all the time. It kinda works. Pain is a good deterrent.

If it keeps coming back get creative.

Going around and shooting things for no reason is dumb. Don't do that. If you want to kill something to eat it, read up on what's legal and get a small game license.

wesintl
05-25-2012, 12:01 PM
http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/LivingWithWildlife/Mammals/Pages/CoyoteCountry.aspx

http://centennialcolorado.com/index.aspx?NID=178

harass the city

corsair23
05-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Like the dumb %hits up north that chased the geese into the road so their buddies could run them down with their car :( - Last I heard they were facing some serious animal cruelty charges.

Big difference between harassing or killing an animal for "fun" and doing the same for real fear of an attack on a child or pet.

That said, if it were me Matt I'd be making some calls before I did anything because I imagine what consitutes animal cruelty can be vague at best.

Funny/interesting story...I was leaving work yesterday. For some reason we've had a couple geese hanging around the building. At first it was just one, now it is two. Anyway, the building's glass front doors have a smoke mirrored finish on them. The geese were at the front doors "challenging" themselves :) - Pretty cool to be able to stand on the other side of the door and watch it all for a few minutes.