PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Argentine Cleanup Run #1 - 6/10/12

subzali
05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
So I signed us up for another year of volunteer work with the Clear Creek Ranger District. My schedule is tight this summer with our baby coming in late July and a friend's bachelor party to plan, so I think this will have to do for the first trip out.

The basic plan will be the normal monitoring/trash cleanup on the upper road (248.1) and the lower road (248.1B). Depending on the group size we may try to split up a bit to cover more campsites, or cover more roads (like 248.1A across Leavenworth Creek). We also need to replace the 11x17 poster that advertized the Adopt-a-Road program, as well as the Stay the Trail poster further up 248.1.

I doubt we will be able to get much above Waldorf, but that's pretty typical for this time of year anyway. If by some miracle the snow has receded enough, then I would definitely like to get up to the Santiago Mine.

PLAN
Time: 9:00 AM
Where: Argentine Pass pulloff. If you don't know how to get there meet me at the visitor center in Georgetown no later than 8:30 (let me know if I should be expecting you, if you need my number it's in the roster or you can PM me).
When: Sunday, 6/10/12
Radio: CB Channel 4, 2m 146.460
Bring:
-Food, Water, energy drinks, etc.
-Tools, fluids, etc.
-Hats, work gloves, safety glasses, hard hats if you have one, etc.
-Recovery gear - shovels, shackles, snatch straps, hi-lifts, snatch blocks, etc.
-Maps, compasses, GPS, cameras, binoculars, headlamps, flashlights, First Aid kits, sunscreen etc.
-Because this will be an organized trip with the forest service, no chain saws are allowed unless you are a trained sawyer with the U.S. Forest Service. I will check and see what the status is on clearing the trees on 248.1B, but based on the last time I was up there in April, folks are already starting to do the clearing on their own. There will still be leaners and some unstable root systems, so it will be imperative for us to be careful and mindful of our surroundings, where we park and where we are standing. Especially if it's a breezy day.
-If someone could please bring some loppers, we may have to trim the willows on 248.1B. I know they're crowding the trail a bit.

For those that have never been, 248.1B has a decent creek crossing that can get a little deep in the spring. 248.1B is also a little on the narrow side for those of you worried about pinstriping. Nothing too major though, a truck on stock tires should be fine with some careful driving.

Keep checking this post for updates, see you there! :thumb:

Previous Trip Reports:
2012 Argentine Tree Investigation Run 4/15/12 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17687&highlight=argentine)
2011 Argentine Pass cleanup run 3 10/1/11 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16590&highlight=argentine)
2011 Argentine Pass Cleanup Run 2 9/25/11 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16556&highlight=argentine)
2011 40s Only Run on Argentine Pass 8/28/11 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16394&highlight=argentine)
2011 Argentine Pass Cleanup Run 1 6/26/11 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=15986&highlight=argentine)
2010 Argentine Pass Cleanup Run 6/19/10 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13340&highlight=argentine)
2009 Argentine Pass Cleanup Run 6/28/09 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10273&highlight=argentine)
2008 Argentine Pass Cleanup Run 6/29/08 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7522&highlight=argentine)
2005 Argentine Pass Cleanup Run 2 8/22/05 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6&highlight=argentine)

Old40Dog
05-23-2012, 05:26 PM
We're in Matt!

Probably go up Friday or Saturday to camp. Let me know what I can do to help you on this.

bgoodheart
05-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I think we'll probably be there on this one.

SRT08BUS
05-23-2012, 07:05 PM
I should be able to do this, I'll know 4sures in the next couple of days.

bh4rnnr
05-25-2012, 07:44 AM
In!:cool:

And I just got a book on Argentine Pass (from the 70's). Have not started reading yet, but it has already provided some info that i've been interested about:).

subzali
05-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Great Perry! I'll be interested in taking a look at it :cool:

It'll be great to see everyone there! :thumb:

bh4rnnr
06-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Just refreshing since it's now June and this run is not to far off;)

:beer:

JadeRunner
06-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm in. Let's have some kind of warm lunch on the trail up there. I was thinking burritos. But, I'm not sure how to keep them warm. I don't have an engine warmer yet. I know perry does.

Old40 Dog has a good idea. He suggests a Qdoba taco bar. 10$ per person. Minimum 10 people. See below. Sounds good to me.

Ideally someone would need to come up late. Pick up the taco bar at the Ranchero exit and meet us up there.

Qdoba does a "Taco Bar" set up that's $10/person. You just pick it up at El Rancho and set it up to serve. Here's whats included;

TACO BAR (Minimum 10 people)

GRILLED CHICKEN AND STEAK
Marinated in our own flavorful adobo marinade.
( 1/2 grilled chicken and 1/2 steak).

FLOUR TORTILLAS

Warm, fresh flour tortillas.

CORN TACO SHELLS
Crispy taco shells made from white corn tortillas.

HANDMADE TORTILLA CHIPS
Tossed with lime and kosher salt; made fresh daily.

SALSAS
Three of Qdoba’s unique and fresh salsas: Pico De Gallo,
Salsa Verde and Salsa Roja.

TOPPINGS
Cheese, sour cream, Romaine lettuce and Qdoba’s fresh 
hand-smashed guacamole.

DESSERT
Chocolate chip cookies or fresh double chocolate brownies.

SERVING UTENSILS

Our Taco Bars come with everything you will need - warming 
stands, plates, utensils and napkins.

We could have someone run ahead and set it up at a pre-determined spot so it wa ready to go when everyone arrived.

Easy...Whatcha think?
Dave

MountainGoat
06-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm in for this one, too. Burritos or not! :hill:

subzali
06-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Getting excited :D

I like the Qdoba catering idea! Someone with a fully enclosed vehicle (80, 100, 4runner) would need to be the food person methinks. Some Qdobas open earlier than others (not sure about Sundays though), or someone could get the food Saturday night and bring it Sunday. They have little butane burners that get the food warm and keep it warm. We'll need folding tables and such as well.

JadeRunner
06-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I called Qdoba. The soonest it would be ready is 11am. He didn't think getting it the night before would work as well. I suppose I could leave the cleanup and go back down and get it. Let's think about it some more.

I could just make up a bunch of elk burger burritos just as easy. I wonder how many burritos Perry can pack in his engine cooker.

I'm in Florida on the beach on vacation so that's why I have been slow to respond. I plan to fly back into town just before the Wed. meeting. If I am late Sascha will take over for me.

Uncle Ben
06-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Doesn't RS 4x4 club have a new food vendor? You might check in with Member Rompies!

bh4rnnr
06-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I called Qdoba. The soonest it would be ready is 11am. He didn't think getting it the night before would work as well. I suppose I could leave the cleanup and go back down and get it. Let's think about it some more.

I could just make up a bunch of elk burger burritos just as easy. I wonder how many burritos Perry can pack in his engine cooker.

I'm in Florida on the beach on vacation so that's why I have been slow to respond. I plan to fly back into town just before the Wed. meeting. If I am late Sascha will take over for me.

Would be happy to help, but i'm not going to be able to get the Runner ready for summer wheelin until after Cruiserfest. Need to stay focused on my presentation. And I was going to pm you about the possibility of ride for the clean up...

bh4rnnr
06-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Doesn't RS 4x4 club have a new food vendor? You might check in with Member Rompies!

And here I thought you were going to join us for the clean up day...

MountainGoat
06-04-2012, 08:35 AM
I can do whatever helps the most. If that means going and picking up Perry, taking him up to the meeting spot, then going down to get the food at Qdoba I am willing. Just let me know where I am needed and I can accommodate. :thumb:

DanS
06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
FWIW: I'm in, unless the 40's head comes back from the machine shop this week, then I'll be putting the head back on.

With any luck, I can have the head back on and take the 40 on the cleanup...

Dan

subzali
06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
That would be awesome Dan! I've been following your thread about the head gasket problems, glad you had a reason to replace those precups before they grenaded on you! :eek:

Uncle Ben
06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
And here I thought you were going to join us for the clean up day...

Snorkel isn't quite tall enough to drive from where I'll be to where you'll be!

bh4rnnr
06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Snorkel isn't quite tall enough to drive from where I'll be to where you'll be!

Wild Rice, or the Tower, doesnt have a Snorkel, and ya don't need one where we will be.

Uncle Ben
06-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Wild Rice, or the Tower, doesnt have a Snorkel, and ya don't need one where we will be.

But I WOULD need one if I was to drive from where I will be! :D

subzali
06-05-2012, 07:51 AM
From Dave:
Matt,

I spoke with Qdoba at El Rancho and we could pick up the food Saturday afternoon and put on ice for Sunday lunch with no problem.

Idelle and I will each be taking our 80's and she is willing take care of the setting up and serving the lunch Sunday. I have some tables too. We're taking her two grandaughters so we were planning on taking two cars anyway.

So this would work! Just need to get a solid count.

I'd suggest the post be updated to reflect this and also promote at the meeting.

Dave

I think this is a good option, I don't mind if the food is from the previous day as long as it's on ice in the interim.

Thanks Dave! :thumb:

Now we just need to get a cost to approve at the meeting. I think it was $10/person, and there are I think 8 confirmed right now and a couple maybes. So you maybes get it together and let us know if you're coming! :D

Make sure to bring gloves and safety glasses; we may have to move some trees and you don't want branches catching you in the eye. I'll update the first post. Also if someone has some loppers they could bring we may have to trim the willows back off the trail a bit on 248.1B.

JadeRunner
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks Dave. Let's go with that plan. We can approve money for it at Wednesday's meeting based on head count numbers.

If anyone else is planning to attend please post up.

simps80
06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I am planning on making this.

I'll have my family in tow, the previous times I've been I was solo; not sure if there are any conditions on kids on a cleanup mission, let me know if so

subzali
06-05-2012, 01:09 PM

I'll have my family in tow, the previous times I've been I was solo; not sure if there are any conditions on kids on a cleanup mission, let me know if so

Great!

Just make sure they have water, sunscreen, and you will be there to sign for them on the volunteer register :thumb:

If they are going to be helping with the cleanup activities they will also need gloves etc. to protect their hands.

MountainGoat
06-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Also, participants should wear boots preferably, definitely not sandals or flip flops. Decent tennis shoes would probably be okay, eh Matt?

subzali
06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Long pants and heavy shoes are preferred. I've been fine with shorts and boots before, tennis shoes are probably fine, just be careful if we're moving any rocks or trees.

fjcruzer
06-06-2012, 10:23 PM
After a three year hiatus seems like this is a good time to jump back on board! Need to double-check, but hope to see you up there.

RubrSideDwn
06-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Singed up off a post for the FJ Cruiser family.. looking forward to making it to this event and meeting a lot of you!

JadeRunner
06-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Ok, it looks like about 12 people plus kids if I'm reading the post right. I will get the taco bars stuff the evening before and have it with me. Then I will leave to group mid morning, pick up Idelle at her camp spot. Drive up, setup and warm up the meat at the Waldorf lunch spot.

Anyone else going please chime up so I can get the food count in.

SRT08BUS
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
I am clear to go at the moment but my have to show up late so count me in for going but put a hold on the food for me if you could, thanks though.

treerootCO
06-09-2012, 08:21 AM
in

JadeRunner
06-09-2012, 07:55 PM
I have the taco bar for 15. We are set.

Kenon698
06-09-2012, 08:09 PM
i am in.

subzali
06-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I have the taco bar for 15. We are set.

Thanks Scott! :cheers:

fjcruzer
06-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Last minute cry for help from a friend of mine to haul heavy furniture, so don't wait for me. If I can swing it I'll come find you, so keep an ear open on Channel 4.

nakman
06-10-2012, 12:28 AM
In.

SRT08BUS
06-10-2012, 07:50 AM
My girl friend broke her finger last night and that means I need to cover today for her (this was to be my first day off in two weeks, if I make it it'll be extremely late.