PDA

View Full Version : Field Day

Seldom Seen
05-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Anyone else making plans?

DaveInDenver
06-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Haven't made any plans but looks like I might be in for something. Whatcha got?

Seldom Seen
06-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Kicking around a few ideas, but you've seen how agile my FD setup is. I could set up anywhere wit a few moments notice. Whatca planning on doin'?

leiniesred
06-12-2012, 08:29 AM
I could make plans. I don't have any right now.
I have a little Kenwood TS-50 that travels well.

Seldom Seen
06-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Going to scout a few locations this weekend. Thinking Lamartine or Mill Creek. Any input would be appreciated.

DaveInDenver
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Sorry not to have added much, been busy dealing with inspection resolutions this weekend and week. Anything look interesting?

rover67
06-19-2012, 08:56 PM
so I will be in Memphis, Tn for the weekend. Can I participate with my HT somehow?

Seldom Seen
06-20-2012, 01:33 AM
so I will be in Memphis, Tn for the weekend. Can I participate with my HT somehow?

1) Tune your HT to a local repeater and ask where the nearest Field day site with a GOTA (get on the air) station is and what the site's "talk-in freq" is.

2) Tune to the talk-in freq in your HT and get directions to the site.

3) Go to the site and ask the site mgr what their GOTA procedure is (you'll usu be assigned a "Coach" and time slot).

4) Get on a REAL radio and start making contacts.

*WARNING* this activity is highly addictive. You'll soon be spending a lot of $$ at HRO.

Seldom Seen
06-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Anything look interesting?

Didn't get up around Empire. Everything that i checked out down south of here is or will be in the path of the Springer fire.

Are you going to get a chance to get out this weekend?

Seldom Seen
06-20-2012, 01:50 AM
I could make plans. I don't have any right now.
I have a little Kenwood TS-50 that travels well.

TS-50 is a great rig. Are you planning on coming out? If so, just pack your radio, a cooler and a tent and as soon as Dave chimes in we can pick a spot and head out.

DaveInDenver
06-21-2012, 07:33 AM
What are your thoughts? Head up Saturday morning back down Sunday? Our realtor is supposed to be taking the weekend off so we might not have any viewings this weekend, but we do have a list of houses to check out at some point. Hoping that happens Friday though.

Seldom Seen
06-21-2012, 10:36 AM
What are your thoughts? Head up Saturday morning back down Sunday? Our realtor is supposed to be taking the weekend off so we might not have any viewings this weekend, but we do have a list of houses to check out at some point. Hoping that happens Friday though.

The way things are going, We may be able to head out early afternoon tomorrow. Still don't know where we're heading but our plans are to keep it to a reasonable distance, get high enough to beat the heat and be in the clear RF wise.

We could reach you buy the CO connection or cell, if we have coverage, and let you know where we land or if you could leave Fri we could hang back and wait for you and head up together

Bring your 857, power supply and analyzer.

DaveInDenver
06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Still working on getting showings tomorrow morning so probably best to assume I'll come up Saturday.

Copy on the gear. Does it have to be the 857, filters swap maybe? Only ask because the IC-7000/AH-4 combo is at hand.

Seldom Seen
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Hold the presses, we were just offered the use of a private ranch 10 mins from pueblo. Further than I was planning to drive but it would save us a few hours of looking for a spot to set up. Details to follow.

Seldom Seen
06-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I was able to secure the use of 80 acres of private land SW of Lake Pueblo State Park that backs up to San Isabel NF. Drive time is 2 hrs or less. Plenty of elbow room, no jerking around trying to find a place to set up, no restrictions on generators. The spot is on Newton road that runs south off Hwy 96 just west of Lake Pueblo State Park. No facilities (bring plenty of water). Talk-in will be via ColoConn and QSY to 460 when close.

DaveInDenver
06-21-2012, 10:22 PM
I will check the maps in the morning, but expect me Saturday morning at this point. I will be in touch via ColCon regardless.

Hulk
06-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Is this just Saturday, or is it Sunday too? I cannot make Saturday, but Sunday is a strong possibility.

Seldom Seen
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
@Matt, Field Day runs till 1200 (noon) Sunday. Get there at Oh-dark-30 and you'll be able to catch some hot east coast action on 6 &10 meters.

Down and dirty directions; South on 25 to Pueblo -> East on Hwy 96 -> go past Lake Pueblo State Park -> Turn Left (south) on Newton Rd.

Addy is 1372 Newton road but there is no house or mail box w/ a number. Were heading out now and I'll post up GPS co-ordinates when I get down there.

I'll monitor the CoConn as there is direct LOS to Pike's Peak from there.

Bring Plenty of water as there is none available on site.

DaveInDenver
06-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Isn't the state park west of town? Lake Pueblo State Park anyway.

rover67
06-26-2012, 10:02 AM
How did it go Gents?

I was not able to do anything while out of town.

Seldom Seen
06-26-2012, 11:55 AM
HOT, dry, breezy, could fry an egg on the radios. Had a difficult time setting up my fiberglass mast and it ended up not being able to support the fan dipole I made, had to resort to plan B and use my crappy G5RV that I'm sure was nothing more than a dummy load and the only thing radiating was the coax. 6&10 were dead for the most part, 15 was up and down, 20&40 were crowded. On the brighter side I was able to break a pile-up and work W1AW made it all worth it.

I was impressed with a seemingly impossible contact on 80 that Dave made on a cool little portable vertical he had.

DaveInDenver
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
KC0YRM's contact with W1AW on 15m was the highlight for sure. I also did make the 80m QRP contact, which was pretty cool. Even idling the radios and power supplies were super hot, which was because ambient temp was >100F and humidity was single digit, just nothing of substance in the air to cool things. It was a great time and the location (with enough awnings!) was ideal.

Hulk
06-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Ah crap, I thought it was this coming weekend. :(