PDA

View Full Version : So here's a problem I've never had to deal with...

smslavin
05-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Just caught the dogs digging to the land of the lost in the backyard. Not sure who started it, the pup or Elfie, but they were both in the hole up to their shoulders. Elfie's huge so it's a good sized hole. We've never had a yard with grass so this is totally new. Any tips on how to squash this one and quick?

..:: Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner ::..

art hog
05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
fill the hole with their poop.

nakman
05-30-2012, 09:13 PM
They dig because they like the coolness of the fresh dirt, and security of the hole. What they need is another cool & secluded place to hang out- like under a deck, or under their dog house, somewhere they can feel it's just theirs.

nuclearlemon
05-30-2012, 09:29 PM
pellet gun

oh, wait, that hasn't taught the squirrels not to eat the dog food.....

smslavin
05-30-2012, 09:34 PM
fill the hole with their poop.

done

They dig because they like the coolness of the fresh dirt, and security of the hole. What they need is another cool & secluded place to hang out- like under a deck, or under their dog house, somewhere they can feel it's just theirs.

great idea. should i do one for each or one giant one?

pellet gun

oh, wait, that hasn't taught the squirrels not to eat the dog food.....

:lmao:

nuclearlemon
05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
great idea. should i do one for each or one giant one?

how much do they like each other? do they sleep together? that's your answer

smslavin
05-30-2012, 09:55 PM
how much do they like each other? do they sleep together? that's your answer

good call. puppy has been around since saturday and the two are pretty much inseparable. elfie has been sleeping outside the pup's crate until she falls asleep then moves to her "protective" position at the base of the stairs.

corsair23
05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
I've got a largish dog house you could try to see if works before spending the :twocents: on one...But I'm not exactly real close to you just to give it a try :)

I'm not sure though if a dog house would be "cool" if it is sitting in direct sunlight though...but I've never crawled in their in the summer to find out either :hill:

smslavin
05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
I've got a largish dog house you could try to see if works before spending the :twocents: on one...But I'm not exactly real close to you just to give it a try :)

I'm not sure though if a dog house would be "cool" if it is sitting in direct sunlight though...but I've never crawled in their in the summer to find out either :hill:

thanks for the offer. i'm going to just build one this weekend. we've got a nice shady corner of the yard that they've been hanging out in so i think i'll put it there.

TIMZTOY
05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
the wife says that the poop wont work. ( i agree )

the coolness, i doubt it.. (makes sense though)

my opinion is they have to much energy, and need to be walked or excersized more. and if they only dig in one place of the yard, there is most likely a dead _____, burried under the ground that they smell.

art hog
05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=TIMZTOY;212591]the wife says that the poop wont work. ( i agree )

I don't agree. It worked for 3 different dogs I've had with digging problems. The running and exercise is a good cure for a lot of dog issues.

TIMZTOY
05-31-2012, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=TIMZTOY;212591]the wife says that the poop wont work. ( i agree )

I don't agree. It worked for 3 different dogs I've had with digging problems. The running and exercise is a good cure for a lot of dog issues.

i've never tried.. i never had a dog with digging problems. so i/we might be wrong... idunno

smslavin
05-31-2012, 10:37 PM
my opinion is they have to much energy, and need to be walked or excersized more.

total agreement on that one. been trying to get up early and take them. missed a couple of days this week but planning on taking them for a long walk tomorrow along coal creek.

elfie is a leoberger and likes to hike but has never been much of a running partner. she's too big (100+) for it i think.

desi, the puppy, is only 12wks old so still too young to run with me. but, with the husky in her, she'll be a great running partner in about a year.

they've got a huge yard and we normally leave the back door open for them full time when we're home. they play really well together and it's been a hoot watching them get to know each other over the last week.