PDA

View Full Version : The flat towing thread

Red_Chili
05-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Any advice on flat towing setups? Just doesn't seem to be rocket science. Tight corners might be a challenge... what about steering forces from the towed vehicle?

Locking rear hubs on the Chili should make this easy.

This looks interesting...
http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Tow-Ready/63180.html

Hmmm... max 45mph??

This one doesn't seem to have that caution, but darned if I can figure out why (except price... :rolleyes:).
http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Roadmaster/RM-020.html

nakman
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
can the Chili fit under a 6' 4.5" door? http://denver.craigslist.org/bfd/3043149012.html :)

Red_Chili
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
No, and my nose is not big enough to extract $5K from ... :lmao:
Hence... flat towing.

Red_Chili
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Geez, this looks even better...
http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-capacity-adjustable-tow-bar-94696.html

Or maybe this...
http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-7514.html (located through a Heep forum, the HF unit had some detractors on YotaTech...)

DaveInDenver
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
The 45 MPH is probably a stipulation of the manufacturer since that is the maximum towed vehicle speed in a few states (Alaska for one). Same reason that U-Haul trailers say it. You'd have to check the various laws but there are also sometimes restrictions based on weight, when a towed vehicle does not have brakes or when the brakes are not integrated into the towing vehicle.

SteveH
05-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Tight corners can be interesting - hop, chirp, hop. Also, almost all towed vehicles (to be legal) need a 'brake buddy' or some braking technology installed in the towed vehicle. You'd have to read the state law for details.

Cheeseman
05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
I flat towed my runner behind a 1 ton van to Moab for about 3 or 4 years. One criteria I got from my neighbor is to have the tow bar angling upward so the towed vehicle wouldn't climb over in a panic stop. I disconnected the rear driveshaft. Then left the key in the ignition so the wheels could turn as they needed. Disconnect the battery for obvious reasons. Got some temporary red tail/stop lights from UHaul for the back. Towed speed was between 60 & 70mph. Worked great. I once forgot to put the key in the ignition and couldn't understand why my steering wheel didn't do what I wanted. Then the lightbulb busted over my head. Key in/problem solved. Oh yah, don't forget about the dead weight on braking.

corsair23
05-31-2012, 06:03 PM
can the Chili fit under a 6' 4.5" door? http://denver.craigslist.org/bfd/3043149012.html :)

Is it just me or does that seem INCREDIBLY cheap for one of those?

That thing is a monster but only $5K - there's gotta be a catch right?

Corbet
05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
I was thinking about it after our conversation last week. My 40 is easy to flat tow but I wonder if the lack of power steering makes it turn easier?

Speed, I'll do 80 MPH without hesitation on the interstate. I got a cheap tow bar from somewhere can't remember probably Wal-Mart for $100. Magnetic lights for the back. No clue on the laws about brakes but if the towed vehicle is within the tow rating of the tow truck I don't wee why you'd need extra brakes. Your new 3/4 ton will be fine. My 80 knows its back there but never wagged its tail. There's basically zero tongue weight which is cool.

Angle of the tow bar is an interesting question. Mine has always pointed down. I've never had to do any panic stops or stunt driving with the 40 behind me so I can't comment on that aspect.

I drove Rabbit Ears Pass with it in a REALLY bad snow storm. I could feel the rear end of the Suburban push if I went too fast in a corner but a standard trailer would do that too.

Overall I view it pretty much the same as towing a standard trailer except tight turns are a little different as the front tires of the towed vehicle scrub. But normal town driving seems the same to me.

Red_Chili
06-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys, very encouraging... Might be worthwhile to put a battery disconnect in with two batts under the rear deck! Not really necessary though.

Yep, familiar with the tow bar angle. Kinda intuitive really, if you stop fast you don't want the towed vehicle to pole vault into your camper!!

I suppose I should weigh the Chili. I doubt it is 5K lbs... but...

nakman
06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Clarify this please... do you disconnect the battery so the truck isn't "on" when you have the key turned?

Red_Chili
06-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Yup.

However, IIRC my steering stays unlocked with only the key inserted once you turn it on and off... :confused: so I will have to check that.

DaveInDenver
06-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Yup.

However, IIRC my steering stays unlocked with only the key inserted once you turn it on and off... :confused: so I will have to check that.
My column is locked even with it in the slot. It seems to be unlocked until you crank the wheel a little and then it locks. I hear the lock click open in acc.

Cheeseman
06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Yah the battery thing is just my brain saying "beware of Murphy....". Besides any current drain that might be there.

corsair23
06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Another option for you Bill :hill:

I wish we got a better picture but when I saw this on I70 on Sunday I was :eek:

What you can't see is that in between the truck's bumper and the hood of the car being towed is just an old tire (unmounted of course) for 'cushioning'. Holding everything together from what I could tell was just yellow tow straps wrapped around the bumpers of both vehicles...We passed him on the flyover from I225 to I70...I'll give him credit for only doing 55mph while towing :rolleyes:

Full disclosure...I don't know if the driver disconnected the battery but he definitely didn't have any tow brake lights on the car :)

The only thing missing from the caption is:

"You might be a redneck if..."

nakman
06-06-2012, 10:34 PM
that's impressive...

Ok what about this setup? http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3042860709.html :hill:

Beachboy
06-07-2012, 08:33 AM
I towed my 40 and 60 for years all over the country flat towing. When I started towing my 60, I had the steering column lock broken off so I could tow without the iginition turned on. I always used a braking system in my towed car as it really helped in stopping distance. As for the law, as one person said, if the truck has the capacity to tow you do not need the braking system. Wrong, if you pull a trailer within the truck limits, many trailers has brake systems on them, there is a reason. Check the state law.

Beachboy
06-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Another question about flat towing for everyone out there. Since I do not have a Toyota at this time I am looking into a Taco (new and automatic). But I need to flat tow it behind our camper. Has anyone used the driveshaft disconnect so it can be towed, and would it be strong enough for off-roading? Not hard core. I am not getting good answers from the internet.

Red_Chili
06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
that's impressive...

Ok what about this setup? http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3042860709.html :hill:
He wants an impressive amount for that redneck toyhauler. It must be absolutely pristine inside... :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Another question about flat towing for everyone out there. Since I do not have a Toyota at this time I am looking into a Taco (new and automatic). But I need to flat tow it behind our camper. Has anyone used the driveshaft disconnect so it can be towed, and would it be strong enough for off-roading? Not hard core. I am not getting good answers from the internet.
Dunno, I expect most simply remove the driveshaft and tie it up.

My runner has lockouts and a full floater in the rear so that makes life easy.

Beachboy
06-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Red Chili,
Where did you have it done?

Squishy!
06-07-2012, 11:25 PM
I think he has a modified Front Range Off-Road kit he installed I think I helped him with it...

Red_Chili
06-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Yup. Like he said. Front Range Off Road.

It came in handy when I shredded a pinion on Wipe Out Hill (damage was done on Cliffhanger the prior day). Somehow I always thought I might flat tow some day, and the lockouts are stronger (Bobby Longificated) than a flange and definitely more so than the stock semi-floaters.

TO DO LIST: 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, 2 1/2"-3" Magnaflow exhaust, SAS, Duals.
You better fuel that baby better than the red runner you had that ate itself!!
Duals??

Squishy!
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
You better fuel that baby better than the red runner you had that ate itself!!

? I got like 18-20 mpg when I wanted :confused:

Duals??

T-cases

Corbet
06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
As for the law, as one person said, if the truck has the capacity to tow you do not need the braking system. Wrong, if you pull a trailer within the truck limits, many trailers has brake systems on them, there is a reason. Check the state law.

I should have been more specific. With-in the un-braked tow limits. I don't recall what it is for a F250 but the Chili could be under that.

OilHammer
06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
I would caution anyone planning on flat towing out here. I used to tow my 40 from NC to Tellico every year. I was using a 2003 Ford explorer with a v8 and tow package. The tow bar needs to angle slightly down towards the towing vehicle. Stab your brakes at speed and what happens? The rear end raises up! If the tow bar angles up, and you try touching the brakes in a corner the result is an unweighting of the rear axle and the towed vehicle tries to slide it. Very scary. My opinion of tow bars is they are fine with an RV towing a car, but I would be hesitant to use one where the weights are anywhere close. I used to put ALL my gear in the tow vehicle just to make sure the 40 was as light as possible. It tracked well, tight corners were never a problem (if your caster is correct) and I could even back it up to some degree. BUT, given the pass and other crazy hills out here, I would opt for a Tow dolly.

Red_Chili
06-08-2012, 03:12 PM
? I got like 18-20 mpg when I wanted :confused:

I meant, as in fuel the engine. Fuel pump and 7th injector etc. with that pulley. The full meal deal from Gadget.

Red_Chili
06-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I would caution anyone planning on flat towing out here. I used to tow my 40 from NC to Tellico every year. I was using a 2003 Ford explorer with a v8 and tow package. The tow bar needs to angle slightly down towards the towing vehicle. Stab your brakes at speed and what happens? The rear end raises up! If the tow bar angles up, and you try touching the brakes in a corner the result is an unweighting of the rear axle and the towed vehicle tries to slide it. Very scary. My opinion of tow bars is they are fine with an RV towing a car, but I would be hesitant to use one where the weights are anywhere close. I used to put ALL my gear in the tow vehicle just to make sure the 40 was as light as possible. It tracked well, tight corners were never a problem (if your caster is correct) and I could even back it up to some degree. BUT, given the pass and other crazy hills out here, I would opt for a Tow dolly.
F250 Super Duty with over the cab camper towing a 4Runner with special care to angle UP from the 4Runner toward the F250 (you do NOT want the tow bar to angle down unless you want the towed vehicle to pogo into the back of the towing vehicle in a panic stop!)...
The Chili is mighty but not mighty enough to lift a laden F250. She will be firmly planted on all fours methinks... :lmao:
Towing with an Exploder... not so much.

Don't get me wrong, tow dollies are nice, but this is the cheapest one on Google...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tow+dolly+price&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6864649684470500514&sa=X&ei=GmzST8eKAcjRhAfQs9TRAw&ved=0CKUBEPMCMAE

OilHammer
06-08-2012, 03:30 PM
When speaking angles, I was referring to "slight" angles. As in maybe 2" drop from end to end. In this scenario when you brake, the bar levels out perfectly. Short of a front end collision, there is no way the bar would lift the front end of my 40. In severe angles, you are absolutely correct that this could be problematic. For your situation, the RV towing rules apply. This link has drawings and engineering principles from BlueOx.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CHgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.towingworld.com%2Farticles%2Fdrops.doc&ei=tG3ST5nXAqjL2QXAp_iCDw&usg=AFQjCNG9bZM98N2Cf5jlmlK0jVikppt4aw