PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a car

rover67
06-04-2012, 02:38 PM
I need to move and Outback with a blown head gasket from Memphis to Boulder. It runs well enough to get on and off a truck under it's own power.

Has anybody used a car hauling service with good luck? Curious on price. Wondering if it is cost effective for me to ship rather than to fly there fix it and drive it back.

I have already done the google thing and have half a dozen ones that sent me quotes.

CardinalFJ60
06-04-2012, 02:47 PM
I've shipped two VWs and an FJ60 (twice).
Since it can get up there under it's own power, that's good. :thumb:

I've had good luck. the thing to keep in mind is that some of the outfits countract with other truckers to fill up a trailer. If they are clear with the approx. time frame, that's a good sign. I was informed of about a 1 week window and they keep in touch (i.e. the driver) as they got closer.

Same with the delivery window...they sometimes pick up and drop off on the way. Make sure you don't HAVE to have it on a certain day...or you will pay a premium

PK out of SLC (family name is Piquet) is who I've used, but I wanna say they are primarily serving the west. Don't quote me on this. my gut tells me that $1000 will get it here from there.

60wag
06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
It might be cheaper to have the HG fixed in Memphis, then drive it out.

Jacket
06-04-2012, 04:25 PM
I spent $1500 to ship Becky's car from Miami to Denver, and it arrived with corrosive drops etched into the hood, damage to the A pillar, and more damage to the rear bumper. Since then I've been pretty disinterested in this type of service, especially if you take the lowest bid (as I did).

I guess the fix vs ship debate comes down to how much you value your time.

Hulk
06-04-2012, 06:02 PM
This service is worth a look.
www.uship.com

I used them to get my 80 engine from Montana to my garage.

treerootCO
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
It is $1000 no matter where to where. I used Kiwi and had no complaints.

http://kiwiskarriers.com/

TIMZTOY
06-04-2012, 08:08 PM
It might be cheaper to have the HG fixed in Memphis, then drive it out.

i vote for this option as well..
because the repair should cost about 5-800 $. and the gas back about 150-200. I persoinally would take a greyhound bus out (cheapeast method i've used in the past)(might not be now)
but bla bla bla. have fixed there, get there the cheapest way possible, drive back.

or drive a truck and trailer there and back. then just gas both ways and food..... oh ya and a thing called time

Corbet
06-09-2012, 01:49 PM
What sucks is you generally have to deal with a broker to arrange the shipping. There are too many hands in the cookie jar so the price is pretty high now days. Do you know anyone working at a dealership in Denver?

Otherwise it comes down to time. It's going to be cheaper to just fix it there and drive it but do you have the time? Or is your time better spent other ways? If you end up shipping it let me know. I'll point you to the right place for the HG job in Denver.

Crash
06-09-2012, 03:23 PM
This service is worth a look.
www.uship.com

I used them to get my 80 engine from Montana to my garage.

I just shipped a Cruiser chassis from Denver to Jacksonville, FL for the new owner. He used uship.com and found someone who delivered it to his door for $650. Haven't used uship personally, but it worked out for the guy the chassis went to as he was very pleased with the service he got and the price he paid.

Myredyota
06-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Marco,
When I had my Packard shipped 5 years ago, we used Exotic Car Transport (http://exoticcartransport.com/). They were very high end, professional and fast. On the Studebaker Forum, everyone uses Peg Trucking (http://www.pegtrucking.com/) for open trailer hauling. They are a Broker but they do right by the Studebaker crew. If you call Peg, let her know that you heard about her from a Studebaker Nut! She will understand!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/myredyota/misc/DSCN0143.jpg

Crash
06-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Hey, we are talking about a Subaru with a blown head gasket aren't we? :p:

Jenny Cruiser
06-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Get it fixed and I'll drive it out there to you. :D