PDA

View Full Version : 9/22-9/23 Lead King Basin, Schofield Pass, Italian Creek, Taylor Pass, Richmond Ridge

fjcruzer
06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
This will be a two-day trail run from Marble to Crested Butte to Aspen:

Day 1 – 9/22/2012
Meeting time & location: 11:00am, City Market, 1051 Colorado 133, Carbondale, CO
Alternate/secondary location: 12pm, Beaver Lake, Marble, CO
Route: Marble to Crested Butte
Trails: Lead King Basin, Crystal Mill, Schofield Pass
Trail difficulty: Moderate to Difficult
Trail time: 3-5 hours

Day 2 – 9/23/2012
Meeting time & location: 9:00am, Crested Butte True Value, 607 6th Street, Crested Butte, CO
Alternate/secondary location: 10am, Cement Creek/Reno Divide Junction
Route: Crested Butte to Aspen
Trails: Cement Creek Road, Reno Divide, Italian Creek Pass, Taylor Pass, Richmond Ridge
Trail difficulty: Easy to Difficult
Trail time: 5-7 hours

CB Channel 7 (alternate Channel 4)
My cell: 720-334-1747

Lead King Basin (clockwise from Marble to the Crysal Mill) (9.2 miles)
TrailDamage.com - Lead King Basin (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=43)

Schofield Pass (from the Crystal Mill) (4.5 miles)
TrailDamage.com - Schofield Pass (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=45)

Italian Creek Road (16.9 miles)
TrailDamage.com - Italian Creek (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=117)

Taylor Pass (8.5 miles)
TrailDamage.com - Taylor Pass (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=118)

Richmond Ridge (12 miles)
(Sorry, no link, but it’s easy/moderate following the ridge from Taylor Pass to the face of Aspen Mountain/Ajax. For those who need to get off the mountain sooner, or if we're running late, there's a bailout at the top of Taylor Pass down to Castle Creek Rd)

I've been on these trails several times during my ten years living in the Aspen area, and have done all of these in one day more than once, but it was 16 hours on the trail, which was cool but... It’s 50+ miles on trail, plus travel time to and from the trail heads from Carbondale, Crested Butte and Aspen.

I would recommend arriving in the Carbondale area on Friday evening and planning to return home on Monday morning. If it is still open, I would take the scenic route over Independence Pass on the way there or back to the Front Range.

Vehicle qualifications:

33” tires (something that can take abuse, the talus and shale is unforgiving of sidewalls)
Skid plates (factory will suffice with good spotting)
Sliders
Front and rear tow points
Rear locker (just in case)
Basic recovery gear suitable for your vehicle
All-weather clothing and camping gear (literally, it can be 80+ degrees and snow on the same day!)

My vehicle is well-equipped and stocked with lots recovery gear that I know how to use, so if you don't have the latest and greatest, don't worry about it, I'm sure others will also come prepared!

A CB will be invaluable if you want to keep up with what’s next, when we’re stopping, potty breaks, and details about the trail as we progress (e.g. watch out for the pumpkin buster there… this is Lizard Lake and it’s freakin’ beautiful...!)

Interested parties (those in bold are confirmed participants:

fjcruzer
davestaco
Old40Dog
TacoBlanca97
aspenbugle

akosfj
BigChalupa
cos4x4
kpudden
liveoffroad
ocr14a
RubrSideDwn
Vandy58
vdubplate
Z's Confederate Toy

nuclearlemon
06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Id like to.pencil in pighead and myself

Jacket
06-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Long time no see Eric. :cheers:

Sounds like a fun trip. I'll keep an eye on it for now - that's a busy time for me with kids just back to school.

bgoodheart
06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Goodheart crew is in.

fjcruzer
06-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Id like to.pencil in pighead and myself

Pencil applied!

Long time no see Eric. :cheers:

Sounds like a fun trip. I'll keep an eye on it for now - that's a busy time for me with kids just back to school.

Matt! It would be great to see you. I know the school start makes it tricky - why I haven't been able to do it for so long - but hope to catch up with you.

Goodheart crew is in.

Great, it'll be good to see y'all.

ttubb
06-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Pencil me in for this one. Thanks, Terry

fjcruzer
06-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Pencil me in for this one. Thanks, Terry

Will do Terry. Cheers!

cos4x4
06-09-2012, 11:52 PM
New to the forum, I spend most of my time over at mud but if you have room I would love to join.
I will actually be doing Schofield pass this weekend (if the snow has cleared out), but I would love to make the trek with some fellow Toyota guys and get to know the club!

fjcruzer
06-10-2012, 06:17 PM
New to the forum, I spend most of my time over at mud but if you have room I would love to join.
I will actually be doing Schofield pass this weekend (if the snow has cleared out), but I would love to make the trek with some fellow Toyota guys and get to know the club!

I'll add you to the list and when we get closer we'll evaluate how many folks we have. Let us know how it looks up there!

cos4x4
06-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Ill take some pictures of the possible snowpack at the punch bowls and report back.

Old40Dog
06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Eric, You can put me down in ink if there's still room. Been through these passes on several runs before, this is a great area! I just love Scholfield!

fjcruzer
07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Eric, You can put me down in ink if there's still room. Been through these passes on several runs before, this is a great area! I just love Scholfield!

Absolutely!

nattybumppo
07-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Please put me down as an alternate if enough folks can't make it!

aspenbugle
07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
It looks like the Fall run is full, do you have a date for your Summer pre-run yet? I'd be interested. I'm in C-Springs and want to get more involved (and become a member). I need to get to a couple events (maybe in August) and perhaps a meeting if I can.

In any case, if you don't mind some company and the timing works out, I'd be interested. Btw - I'm lifted, armored, winched, bumpered, slidered etc.

Gary

fjcruzer
07-25-2012, 09:40 PM
A long-overdue update!

First, I am now gainfully employed a little more than full-time, so apologies for not being as quick on the replies. This also limits my ability to pre-run these trails, which has zero impact on the planned trail run as myself and others have been on them many times. If I can swing a pre-run I'll let folks know ASAP.

Second, we currently have 17+ people/vehicles who have expressed interest in this run. I would ask that those that can absolutely commit do so ASAP and let me know so we can finalize some details, and either close the admission gate, so-to-speak, or open it for other folks if we have room.

Please take the time to reply with a 100% thumbs up, or thumbs down, and I'll update the OP with a final tally. Once I have a sense for who's coming from where we can get the nitty gritty meet time/place stuff hammered out.

Thank y'all and cheers! :beer:

fjcruzer
07-25-2012, 09:42 PM
It looks like the Fall run is full, do you have a date for your Summer pre-run yet? I'd be interested. I'm in C-Springs and want to get more involved (and become a member). I need to get to a couple events (maybe in August) and perhaps a meeting if I can.

In any case, if you don't mind some company and the timing works out, I'd be interested. Btw - I'm lifted, armored, winched, bumpered, slidered etc.

Gary

Hey Gary, I just posted an update that clarifies a couple of things. I'm hoping to pre-run, but not sure I'll be able to swing it. Also watch to see who commits and we might end up with room in September.:thumb:

Eric

ttubb
07-26-2012, 07:54 AM
A long-overdue update!

First, I am now gainfully employed a little more than full-time, so apologies for not being as quick on the replies. This also limits my ability to pre-run these trails, which has zero impact on the planned trail run as myself and others have been on them many times. If I can swing a pre-run I'll let folks know ASAP.

Second, we currently have 17+ people/vehicles who have expressed interest in this run. I would ask that those that can absolutely commit do so ASAP and let me know so we can finalize some details, and either close the admission gate, so-to-speak, or open it for other folks if we have room.

Please take the time to reply with a 100% thumbs up, or thumbs down, and I'll update the OP with a final tally. Once I have a sense for who's coming from where we can get the nitty gritty meet time/place stuff hammered out.

Thank y'all and cheers! :beer:

:thumb: I'm in. Terry

Uncle Ben
07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
What a great run!

nattybumppo
07-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Please put me down as an alternate if enough folks can't make it!

Scratch that! Now I have a work conflict. Have fun

cos4x4
07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I am in for sure, also super late update but here was Schofield back in late June. there looked to be some pretty good erosion.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zuuYPJjAFY4/UBV7mAT1ySI/AAAAAAAAAVA/pAVYtF7L4zw/s800/IMG_1427.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6Ls9pehTM1w/UBV7mzstoVI/AAAAAAAAAVI/NlWBQ23hny4/s800/IMG_1422.jpg

jonharis
07-30-2012, 03:35 PM
GREAT Trip plans. I just wanted to share a link with a couple of photos from our July Run up Schofield. I expect that the rockslide that is depicted in the photos will be nothing but a memory once you guys run it. Looks like you have a great plan.

http://www.schofieldpass.com/99/rock-slide-passable-on-schofield-pass/

club run pics.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-book-cliff-cruisers/602303-july-crusin-coffee-gwood-2.html#post7750292

Old40Dog
07-31-2012, 12:27 PM
In! :thumb:

nuclearlemon
07-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Pighead and i will be in 1 vehicle

nuclearlemon
08-03-2012, 07:11 PM
due to my plans to eliminate, debt, i'm going to have to say pighead and i are out of it...:(

fjcruzer
08-19-2012, 02:03 PM
GREAT Trip plans. I just wanted to share a link with a couple of photos from our July Run up Schofield. I expect that the rockslide that is depicted in the photos will be nothing but a memory once you guys run it. Looks like you have a great plan.

club run pics.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-book-cliff-cruisers/602303-july-crusin-coffee-gwood-2.html#post7750292

Ahh, fond memories...!

In! :thumb:

Awesome, thanks!

due to my plans to eliminate, debt, i'm going to have to say pighead and i are out of it...:(

Well now that's a bummer.

fjcruzer
08-19-2012, 02:10 PM
:thumb: I'm in. Terry

Great!

What a great run!

Indeed, can't wait to get back up there.

Scratch that! Now I have a work conflict. Have fun

Bummer. We'll have some fun for ya ;)

I am in for sure, also super late update but here was Schofield back in late June. there looked to be some pretty good erosion.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zuuYPJjAFY4/UBV7mAT1ySI/AAAAAAAAAVA/pAVYtF7L4zw/s800/IMG_1427.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6Ls9pehTM1w/UBV7mzstoVI/AAAAAAAAAVI/NlWBQ23hny4/s800/IMG_1422.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the pics!

kpudden
08-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Possibility for me...love that area and have done some of these trails multiple times.:beer:

bgoodheart
09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Well, bummer. The Goodheart crew can't make it now. Last minute trip to visit family in AZ who have been in and out of the hospital a lot lately. Have a great run, and get some good photos for us!

BJ

Old40Dog
09-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Well, bummer. The Goodheart crew can't make it now. Last minute trip to visit family in AZ who have been in and out of the hospital a lot lately. Have a great run, and get some good photos for us!

BJ

Darn B.J. Sorry to hear. Hope everyone is doing okay now.

bgoodheart
09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Darn B.J. Sorry to hear. Hope everyone is doing okay now.

Thanks Dave. My granddad and aunt are released back into the wild now, but neither of them are doing great just in case they try and pull any funny business. I figure it's a good time to head down and say hello to everyone. We'll put this one on the schedule for next year!

ajax
09-14-2012, 12:32 PM

club run pics.

the "rock slide" is how its been for awhile now, unless someone does it there are no plans to move it, i drove up and down it no problem unlocked... it used to be bad down at the bottom by the bridge but the forest service blew that all out bout 7years ago and made it smooth

Old40Dog
09-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Anybody going up Friday? Thinking of taking the long way using Webster or Mosquito, depending on snow, and Independence. Like to leave Conifer around 9-10 AM.

fjcruzer
09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
OP updated with final details/information, check it out!

fjcruzer
09-18-2012, 03:25 PM

BJ

Family first and we'll make sure you can live vicariously this time :beer:

Anybody going up Friday? Thinking of taking the long way using Webster or Mosquito, depending on snow, and Independence. Like to leave Conifer around 9-10 AM.

Unsure. I'm hoping to get up there Friday, but can't leave work until 4p at the earliest and more like 6p, so might just haul up there Sat a.m.

Old40Dog
09-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Unsure. I'm hoping to get up there Friday, but can't leave work until 4p at the earliest and more like 6p, so might just haul up there Sat a.m.

Thanks Eric! We'll plan to meet up with you guys in Marble Saturday morning! Still planning to head out Friday morning, so if anyone's interested in an extra day of fun expedition style wheelin' you can call my cell, three Oh three, six seven Oh, five, five, nine, eight...to arrange a meet up. :D, :bolt:

ttubb
09-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Looks like I am going to have to pass. Some things have come up.

Jim Deer and Joe Weber will likely meet up with you at the True Value on Sunday to do Italian/Reno/Taylor then back to CB via Pearl Pass.

Enjoy and be safe. Terry

fjcruzer
09-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Looks like I am going to have to pass. Some things have come up.

Jim Deer and Joe Weber will likely meet up with you at the True Value on Sunday to do Italian/Reno/Taylor then back to CB via Pearl Pass.

Enjoy and be safe. Terry

Sorry to hear that. We'll look for Jim and Joe in CB.

aspenbugle
09-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Eric,

Gary from back on pg 2...I saw the page one update. Does it look like there will be room for me this weekend? Looks like a lot of unconfirmed. I think I can still make it happen if you have an opening. If not, I'll try another time.

fjcruzer
09-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Eric,

Gary from back on pg 2...I saw the page one update. Does it look like there will be room for me this weekend? Looks like a lot of unconfirmed. I think I can still make it happen if you have an opening. If not, I'll try another time.

If you want to join us you're more than welcome :thumb:

aspenbugle
09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Cool. I'll plan on the Beaver Lake Noon meet-up as long as that is still an officlal second meet-up place. I'll be coming from the Gunnison/Crested Butte/Paonia direction, so no need to drive into Carbondale. I'll just plan to meet you at Beaver Lake -- my rig is BLUE.

If anything changes, I'm at Seven 19, Six 85, Six 102 Looking forward to it.

fjcruzer
09-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Cool. I'll plan on the Beaver Lake Noon meet-up as long as that is still an officlal second meet-up place. I'll be coming from the Gunnison/Crested Butte/Paonia direction, so no need to drive into Carbondale. I'll just plan to meet you at Beaver Lake -- my rig is BLUE.

If anything changes, I'm at Seven 19, Six 85, Six 102 Looking forward to it.

That works for me. I'm in a blue rig as well :D

fjcruzer
09-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Hey folks. The good news is that today is my 10th wedding anniversary (21 years together!) and I get to spend it with my wife. The bad news is that work prevents Katherine from coming with me on this trip and I’m not willing to leave her slaving away at home while I go play in the mountains. The other good news is that Dave K (Old40Dog) has graciously offered to take over the lead position on this trip and has been on these trails many times before. Look for his gray FJ80 series with the cool roof rack. It looks like the weather will be perfect and the fall colors spectacular and I’m really bummed we won’t be there to share it with you. Have fun and be safe.

Old40Dog
09-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Hey folks. The good news is that today is my 10th wedding anniversary (21 years together!) and I get to spend it with my wife. The bad news is that work prevents Katherine from coming with me on this trip and Iím not willing to leave her slaving away at home while I go play in the mountains. The other good news is that Dave K (Old40Dog) has graciously offered to take over the lead position on this trip and has been on these trails many times before. Look for his maroon FJ80 series with the cool roof rack. It looks like the weather will be perfect and the fall colors spectacular and Iím really bummed we wonít be there to share it with you. Have fun and be safe.

No problem Eric. Have a splendid anniversary.

You guys can reach me on three 03-six70-five598. Its a grey 80 with a Rising Sun Decal on the hood(dead giveaway) pulling an expedition trailer with RTT.

pmccumber
09-21-2012, 05:52 PM
So I'm gonna give it a whirl. We'll see you tomorrow AM in Carbondale.

Old40Dog
09-22-2012, 05:38 AM
So I'm gonna give it a whirl. We'll see you tomorrow AM in Carbondale.

Great Paul! See ya up there!