PDA

View Full Version : aux fuse box

dr350jja
06-09-2012, 10:50 PM
What seems to work out better; adding an aux. fuse box under the hood or inside the cab? Pros and cons??

Corbet
06-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I would say it depends on what you want to power. Mine is inside as it powers my fridge, HAM, NAV, and other electronic stuff inside. Only one set of supply wire to run to the box. If it were for lights, rad fan, or other exterior stuff I'd put it under the hood. I'm getting ready to do a 2nd one under the hood for just that kind of stuff. Maybe a 3rd in the cargo area for circuits back there. Personally I just hate running long lengths of wire. Rather do one big power feed to the general area then branch out with shorter circuit lengths.

nakman
06-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah, that ^^^ short answer is both, and if you can only do one at a time, what are you wiring up?

Rezarf
06-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Toyota put my fuse box in the cab (FJ40) so I repeated it when I added one.

This is my write up (http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/217352-second-fuse-panel-picture-write-up.html) on Mud. Hope it helps.

My opinion is if you are able to install it inside, then I can't think of a good reason not to, unless you will be passing LOTS of wires back and forth through the firewall.

nakman
06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Toyota put my fuse box in the cab (FJ40) so I repeated it when I added one.

This is my write up (http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/217352-second-fuse-panel-picture-write-up.html) on Mud. Hope it helps.

My opinion is if you are able to install it inside, then I can't think of a good reason not to, unless you will be passing LOTS of wires back and forth through the firewall.

Look in your Sequoia- Toyota put a fuse box in the engine bay too :D

If you're wiring up OBA circuitry, fog lights, driving lights, engine bay lights, rock lights, electric fans, a horn that plays Dixie... The bulk of that can remain in the engine bay, with minimal wires poking through your fire wall for switches. I'd lean towards a fuse block in the engine bay for that, keeping most the juice in the engine bay as well with relays, etc.

Rear seat heaters, aftermarket stereo amps, fridges, tv screens, 12v outlets... I'd probably put those on the fuse panel inside the passenger compartment.

Rezarf
06-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Look in your Sequoia- Toyota put a fuse box in the engine bay too :D

If you're wiring up OBA circuitry, fog lights, driving lights, engine bay lights, rock lights, etc. The bulk of that can remain in the engine bay, with minimal wires poking through your fire wall for switches. I'd lean towards a fuse block in the engine bay for that, keeping most the juice in the engine bay as well with relays, etc.

Rear seat heaters, aftermarket stereo amps, fridges, tv screens... I'd probably put those on the fuse panel inside the passenger compartment.

I agree, if you are not passing wires through the firewall to power accessories (just switches) then yes, the engine bay is just fine. I would use shrink wrap and keep it up out of the elements as much as possible. Blue sea makes great products for our application.

And Tim, we all know a Sequoia does count ;) :lmao:

Jacket
06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Jim - I can't find the pictures of my install, but I put my Blue Sea block behind the back seat of my double cab, and mounted it to that plastic barrier that separates the back of the cab from the seats. I ran a large wire (can't recall the gauge) through the firewall and underneath the plastic caps on the floor below the door to feed the block, with an in-line fuse near the battery. From there, I ran power to stuff in the cab, and ran some wires out the back of the cab and into the bed.

LARGEONE
06-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I ran two...one on firewall, one under pass seat. I also ran a 6 ga to the back of the truck for an inverter and extras back there.

dr350jja
06-17-2012, 12:05 AM
I ran a large wire (can't recall the gauge) through the firewall and underneath the plastic caps on the floor below the door to feed the block, with an in-line fuse near the battery. From there, I ran power to stuff in the cab, and ran some wires out the back of the cab and into the bed.

That sounds pretty good. Just so I understand it better, the heavy gauge wire from the battery to the fuse block, had an "in-line" fuse in it? I would think that it should, just in case there was ever something that shorted-out.

I'm looking to power the CB and HAM radios, so I thought about putting an aux fuse block in the cab. However, I do want to add some exterior driving lamps, so maybe an additional fuse block under the hood would be a good way to go.

decisions, decisions :confused:

Jacket
06-17-2012, 08:32 AM
That sounds pretty good. Just so I understand it better, the heavy gauge wire from the battery to the fuse block, had an "in-line" fuse in it? I would think that it should, just in case there was ever something that shorted-out.
Correct. Close to the battery and on the big power wire. If you can calculate you amp draw for all your anticipated accessories, then pick a fuse size that is 10% higher or so.

I'm looking to power the CB and HAM radios, so I thought about putting an aux fuse block in the cab. However, I do want to add some exterior driving lamps, so maybe an additional fuse block under the hood would be a good way to go.

decisions, decisions :confused:
If it is just driving lights in the engine bay I'd just wire those directly to the battery. The kits usually come with an fuse on the wiring. Keep it simple.