PDA

View Full Version : Red Cone: Sunday 7/8 Ride-a-longs

fjcruzer
06-10-2012, 06:38 PM
1. Name of Trail: Red Cone, Radical Hill, and Swan River (or Deer Trail)
2. Location of Trail: West of Bailey on Hwy 285 to Hwy 9 in Breckenridge (or to Hwy 6 in Keystone)
3. Date, Time and Place to Meet: 7/8/2012, 8am at my home in Denver, or 9am at King Soopers in Conifer (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=King+Soopers,+25637+Conifer+Road,+Aspen+Park,+CO&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.543096,114.169922&oq=king+soopers&hq=King+Soopers,&hnear=25637+Conifer+Rd,+Aspen+Park,+Colorado+80433&t=m&z=17) (the sooner we get on the trail the better - there was a lot of traffic up there on the 24th)
4. Other Trail Info: Links to Red Cone (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=9) & Radical Hill (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=10) on Traildamage and my 6/24 run (http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/2012-06-24-red-cone-radical-hill-deer-creek-bailey-co.html)
5. Short event description: I have four friends visiting from, among other places, the Czech Republic and they would like to have some off-road fun. I'm hoping to get enough folks with shotgun seats available – I would love it if each of them had a front passenger seat for the entire trip, so if you are able to stage at my house at 8am, that would be great as long as you are able to bring passengers back. We can also meet folks coming from the south & west in Conifer.

I ran these trails on Sunday, June 24th, and recommend the following basics:

- 33” tires (something that can take abuse, the granite, talus, and shale is unforgiving of sidewalls)
- Skid plates (factory will suffice with good spotting, but there is some rock climbing involved)
- Sliders
- Front and rear tow points
- Rear locker, ATRAC, or similar
- Basic recovery gear suitable for your vehicle
- All-weather clothing and camping gear (it was 100 degrees in Denver and 58 with some sleet up there)
- My vehicle is well-equipped and stocked with lots recovery gear that I know how to use, so if you don't have the latest and greatest, don't worry about it, I'm sure others will also come over prepared!
- A CB will be invaluable if you want to keep up with what’s next, when we’re stopping, and details about the trail as we progress.
- The first section of the trail is narrow in places and you will get pin-striped
- Several sections of the trail are narrow, steep, exposed (i.e. shelf roads), and on loose rock, so be prepared psychologically

Host drivers and/or attendees:

fjcruzer123 (Denver)(1 front seat)
jimmy-buffet (Denver)(maybe front seat)
Vandy58 (Conifer)(front seat)
Old40Dog (Conifer)(2 back seats)
FJess (Denver)(front seat)
OffRue (Trailhead)(front seat)
arrrghhh (Denver)(access cab seats)
ColoradoTrailPatrol (Conifer)(1 front seat)
davestaco (Conifer)
fj5m&e (Denver)(front & rear seats)

Riders
wakkjobb + 2 (Conifer)(wants to ride along with two friends)

farnhamstj
06-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I'll suggest adding RedCone to the title. That's a beautiful trail. Have fun.

fjcruzer
06-10-2012, 07:26 PM
I'll suggest adding RedCone to the title. That's a beautiful trail. Have fun.

Thanks, yeah, if only I could change that! :rolleyes: Also wanted to keep it consistent with the other forums looking for the same thread posted before we decided to run Red Cone.

Old40Dog
06-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Sounds like a blast Eric! Put me down. Have 2 seats available in my 80.

fjcruzer
06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Sounds like a blast Eric! Put me down. Have 2 seats available in my 80.

Great! Can't wait to catch up.

fjcruzer
06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Oh, and thank you mods for changing the thread title :bowdown:

Hulk
06-14-2012, 03:23 AM
Oh, and thank you mods for changing the thread title :bowdown: :)

fjcruzer
06-30-2012, 03:44 PM
OP updated with lots of details. Please read carefully and confirm with me:

1. If you are joining us
2. Where you plan to meet us (Denver or Conifer)
3. If you can take a front seat passenger
4. If you're interesting in dining in Breckenridge after the run

Greatly looking forward to this!

nuclearlemon
06-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Pencil in pighead and i...no extra seats, sorry

fjcruzer
06-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Pencil in pighead and i...no extra seats, sorry

Done. Meet in Denver? If so, I'll PM my address.

Fishy
07-01-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm trying my best to be in on this one. I won't know about a front seat for a few days. My brother is trying to come out from NY for this run. We/I would meet in Conifer and be in for dinner in Breck.

Old40Dog
07-01-2012, 11:09 AM
OP updated with lots of details. Please read carefully and confirm with me:

1. If you are joining us
2. Where you plan to meet us (Denver or Conifer)
3. If you can take a front seat passenger
4. If you're interesting in dining in Breckenridge after the run

Greatly looking forward to this!

Eric, We'll meet you guys in Conifer, no empty front and dine in Breck.

fjcruzer
07-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm trying my best to be in on this one. I won't know about a front seat for a few days. My brother is trying to come out from NY for this run. We/I would meet in Conifer and be in for dinner in Breck.

Keep us posted.

Eric, We'll meet you guys in Conifer, no empty front and dine in Breck.

Sounds good Dave.

fjcruzer
07-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey folks, I feel like the purpose of this run is unraveling. The idea was to give my 4 friends from the Czech Republic a cool tour of our back country, not our back seats, but to date we only have 1 passenger seat for sure (mine), and three maybes. Help!?

Fishy
07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry. If you're trying to limit vehicles, I can back out. I'm sure there will be another Red Cone Run this summer.

fjcruzer
07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Sorry. If you're trying to limit vehicles, I can back out. I'm sure there will be another Red Cone Run this summer.

Not so much trying to limit vehicles as maximize passenger seats! Let's see who we end up with at the end of the week before cutting sheer numbers. I want it to be fun, and more is better... right? :D

fjcruzer
07-04-2012, 03:34 PM
It looks like we have 9 confirmed rigs and we now have requests for 7 seats total, the first 4 going to my guests, the other 3 for wakkjobb and two friends wherever we have room, and if I do my math right we have just enough to cover everyone!

We're going to have to work out the logistics of getting everyone back to their car or home since the trail run is one-way from east to west, so I hope folks will be accommodating. We'll all meet in Conifer and suss it out before we head for the trail.

For folks who haven't confirmed, get back to me so we don't leave anyone behind.

Happy 4th!
:xrocker:

fjcruzer
07-04-2012, 08:27 PM
ARMY_CRUISER from FJC is going us in his new Jeep with three spare seats, so we're looking good :)

fjcruzer
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
ARMY_CRUISER from FJC is going us in his new Jeep with three spare seats, so we're looking good :)

And now he's got some assembly to complete before hitting the trail, so we're back to squeaking by on seats...

fjcruzer
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Definitely plan for weather (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Montezuma&state=CO&site=BOU&textField1=39.5813&textField2=-105.868&e=0)!!

ColoradoTrailPatrol
07-07-2012, 12:47 PM
I would love to tag along, if the run isnt full. Can meet in Conifer, would have an passenger seat open in the 4Runner. Would be interested in grabbing chow in Breck, but depends on what time we are off the trail.

nuclearlemon
07-07-2012, 07:40 PM
looks like we're out. pighead slept half the day away and the rain took much of the other half, so he didn't get his fuel tank replaced. with the 80 down, that only leaves the blue pig which he'll need to fetch parts:(

fjcruzer
07-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I would love to tag along, if the run isnt full. Can meet in Conifer, would have an passenger seat open in the 4Runner. Would be interested in grabbing chow in Breck, but depends on what time we are off the trail.

Happy to have you along! See you at the Conifer King Soopers at 9am.

looks like we're out. pighead slept half the day away and the rain took much of the other half, so he didn't get his fuel tank replaced. with the 80 down, that only leaves the blue pig which he'll need to fetch parts:(

Bummer! Have fun and we'll see you on the other side some time.

baja1d
07-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Have fun guys, wish I was there. Be safe

fjcruzer
07-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Thank you everyone for helping show my friends a great time in the high country. The weather was perfect and the unplanned excitement added to the spectacular environment. My friends took lots of pics and will share them with me before they leave and I'll post or link them for everyone to enjoy.

Special thanks to the folks who provided seats and helped us cart folks to and from Denver.

fjcruzer
07-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone for joining us, offering up seats for our friends, and help on the trail. Perfect day and just the right amount of strife to make it fun!

Pictures on my site here (http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/2012-07-08-red-cone-radical-hill-north-swan-bailey-co.html):