PDA

View Full Version : Camping and campfire within the state

thelal
06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Anyone know of some nice camping spots where I can have a campfire (as most of state seems to be under fire-ban).
Planning on going this w/e but may head WY way

Thanks

nakman
06-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Lal, as far as I know any of the US Park campgrounds with fire rings would still allow fires. I was at Olive Ridge last weekend near Allenspark and they were selling firewood and everything. :campfire:

bomber22
06-12-2012, 02:50 PM
last week we went to elevenmile canyon. had a fire going on there, in a fire ring of course.

Red_Chili
06-12-2012, 06:53 PM
You guys are freaking me out. There is a no open fire ban - period - in Jeffco, Clear Creek, and Park Counties (and more). Can't even weld outside. Fire ring or not. AFAIK, the Hayman fire started in a fire ring.

We are primed for an historic fire season, I truly hope it doesn't come to fruition. Some kids across the street were setting off firecrackers yesterday. Parents at work... a neighbor gave them some education.

[edit] here, this may help:
http://www.coemergency.com/p/fire-ban-info.html

Red_Chili
06-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh, and FYI, Wyoming is also struggling with some serious wildfires.

bh4rnnr
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Oh, and FYI, Wyoming is also struggling with some serious wildfires.

Dont forget Utah and New Mexico. Last I herd, NM was twice the size of Haymen. And the lady that started the Haymen got her life sentance dropped down to 6 years. Still makes me:mad::mad:.

nakman
06-12-2012, 09:51 PM
[edit] here, this may help:
http://www.coemergency.com/p/fire-ban-info.html

Thanks! Just as I suspected...

Allowable Activities:

Fires within liquid-fueled or gas-fueled stoves, fireplaces within buildings, charcoal grill fires within developed residential or commercial areas, and fires within wood burning stoves.
Professional fireworks displays permitted according to section 12-28-103 of the C.R.S
Fire suppression or fire department training fires.
Tiki torches, small recreational fires at developed picnic or campground sites contained in permanent fire pits or fire grates with flame lengths not in excess of four feet and which are supervised by a responsible person at least 21 years of age.

If that weren't the case, you'd think the camp hosts, county Sheriff, and Forest Ranger who all patrolled the camp within hours of each other would have said something. :beer:

Rezarf
06-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Camping is just sleeping in the woods without a fire. :) however, the national park does allow them in the rings and they WILL FINE you an easy $300 if you dont FULLY put it out... had a friend eat $300 for some smoldering ashes.

Inukshuk
06-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Options: A pile of glow sticks. One of those Halloween lights with the blowing way fabric. Yule Log on your laptop. Coleman lantern on the ground.

My Quasi legal Favorite: Citronella candle metal bucket with small piece of paper towel making a mega wick.

Red_Chili
06-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks! Just as I suspected...

If that weren't the case, you'd think the camp hosts, county Sheriff, and Forest Ranger who all patrolled the camp within hours of each other would have said something. :beer:

Yeah, we're all just twitchy up here. Most people looking to have a campfire want one in an undeveloped, private location like the "good old days".

Coleman lantern, friends, and fine barley pop still work fine...

nakman
06-13-2012, 08:19 AM
You? twitchy? get out.... :lmao:

Have fun camping, Lal! be safe. :beer2:

Red_Chili
06-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Must be the smoke smell when I get down to Denver, and knowing that with buses like they are I am at least 4 hours away for most of the day if we had to evacuate... I keep thinking of the guy who was working downtown when his wife was caught in the Pleasant Park fire.

subzali
06-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Dont forget Utah and New Mexico. Last I herd, NM was twice the size of Haymen. And the lady that started the Haymen got her life sentance dropped down to 6 years. Still makes me:mad::mad:.

Whitewater Baldy Complex Fire: 280,000 acres, 51% contained, HIGH growth potential.
http://inciweb.org/incident/2870/

Hayman was about 135,000 acres I think.

SRT08BUS
06-13-2012, 03:19 PM
the people down hill from us about a acre or two had a fire going on the Friday of Memorial day weekend, the fire department was extremely quick to get up there and the stop by our house to thank us. The stated that they asked if owners if they knew of the fire ban and they said no, I've been in front of and behind the couple and their son as they have driven past one of the three signs up in a area with only two ways in/out. I'm getting freaked out this year as in past years with fire/firework bans people have seemed to given the big middle finger to all of it. I've come across a couple of fires every now and then that are still smoldering with no one around up on Cascade Creek and if their water is showing it is then dumped upon it with a good mixing and the containers will be left close enough to make a point, that has been twice in about 4 years.
I sure hope our fleet of Fire planes gets back up to a number that is more representative of the land mass it must protect as we now have 14, down from 44 or 47...I forget. But I guess that's a no as it would just be more govment' jobs...

Red_Chili
06-13-2012, 03:27 PM
But I guess that's a no as it would just be more govment' jobs...
I am SO done with ideological arguments against any government expenditures... this is public safety for pities sake.

SRT08BUS
06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I am SO done with ideological arguments against any government expenditures... this is public safety for pities sake.

I kinda figure at lest two planes in each of the states that have vast expanses of forest. I'm for government, not big nor small, but of equal size of our nation and our nation is not small by any means.

Red_Chili
06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Interesting timing...

http://webmail.c.earthlink.net/wam/MsgAttachment?msgid=3055&attachno=3
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
CONTACT: Randy Hampton, 303-291-7482, randy.hampton@state.co.us
Deb Frazier, 303-866-3203, ext. 4342, deb.frazier@state.co.us
This news release is also available at www.parks.state.co.us (http://www.parks.state.co.us)

For immediate release: June 13, 2012

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Issues Fire Warning

DENVER – Colorado Parks and Wildlife announced Thursday that county fire bans and restrictions will be strictly enforced in state parks and wildlife areas because the fire danger is extremely high across the state. All fires, including those in pits and grills, have been banned in 14 counties due to dry conditions and the risk of wildfires. Fire restrictions are in place in many other counties. The agency reminds all park visitors and sportsmen that county bans and restrictions apply to the state parks and wildlife areas in those counties.
“Colorado Parks and Wildlife will enforce the county fire bans and other restrictions. We urge visitors to parks and wildlife area take every precaution possible to prevent new fires from starting,” said Rick Cables, Colorado Parks and Wildlife Director.
Counties with fire bans that impact state parks:

· Adams County: Barr Lake State Park
· Arapahoe County: Cherry Creek State Park
· Boulder County: Eldorado Canyon State Park
· Clear Creek County
· Douglas County: Castlewood Canyon and Roxborough State Parks
· Elbert County
· Gilpin County: Golden Gate Canyon State Park
· Grand County
· Hinsdale County
· Jackson County: State Forest State Park
· Jefferson County: Chatfield and Staunton State Parks
· Phillips County
· Pitkin County
· Washington County

The most recent county-by-county information on fire bans and restrictions is available at: the Colorado Division of Emergency Management website at: http://www.coemergency .com/p/fire-ban-info.html (http://www.coemergency%20.com/p/fire-ban-info.html)
Colorado Parks and Wildlife also manages more than 300 state wildlife areas. Many are open to recreational activities. Visitors to wildlife areas are encouraged to be aware of county restrictions and property specific regulations, which are available from local parks and wildlife offices.
“When you are heading out to go camping, fishing or any recreational activity, please check with the state park, forest or land management agency where you are going for current fire conditions,” said Gary Thorson, Colorado Parks and Wildlife Assistant Director for Information and Education. “Because of the hot and dry weather, any fire or ignition source can create the risk of wildlife.”
Thorson said that visitors to the state parks and wildlife areas without fire bans and restrictions must follow the regulations for campfires:
· Do not leave fires unattended or allow them to burn outside the fire ring.
· Be sure to extinguish all fires completely. Check for embers and repeatedly douse fires with water.
· Put out cigarettes and dispose of safely.
· Please check with the state parks’ website, www.parks.state.co.us (http://www.parks.state.co.us), for fire information at the specific park you plan to visit.
· For fire information at state wildlife areas, please visit http://wildlife.state.co.us (http://wildlife.state.co.us/)
Colorado Parks and Wildlife was created by the merger of Colorado State Parks and the Colorado Division of Wildlife, two nationally recognized leaders in conservation, outdoor recreation and wildlife management. Colorado Parks and Wildlife manages 42 state parks, all of Colorado's wildlife, more than 300 state wildlife areas and a host of recreational programs. To learn more about Colorado's state parks, please see: http://www.parks.state.co.us. To learn more about Colorado's wildlife programs, please see: http://wildlife.state.co.us (http://wildlife.state.co.us/)

RockRunner
06-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Hickenlooper may sign a state wide ban on fires of any kind.

Red_Chili
06-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Forrest was coming down from Argentine yesterday, and called me wanting to know what to do.

"Dad, not sure what to do, I saw some guy with a fire in there..."
:mad:
"Call 911"
"Really?"
"Really. These yahoos are playing with our lives and everything we have worked for and they don't think the law applies to them. Call 911."
"OK then!"

Still waiting to hear the outcome.

Red_Chili
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Here is an interesting site, showing all current fire incidents for the USFS. The first one started May 13 near Pagosa Springs and is still burning. Good grief.

http://inciweb.org/

Red_Chili
06-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Statewide fire ban, with some exceptions.

DENVER (CBS4) – Private fireworks are now banned in Colorado.

Gov. John Hickenlooper on Thursday signed an executive order that makes the use of private fireworks illegal and bans open burning. The order was signed because conditions across the state are very dry and the fire danger is at extreme levels in many counties.

Fires will still be allowed in the following areas:

- constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed camp and picnic grounds or recreation sites
- liquid-fueled or gas-fueled stoves
- fireplaces contained within buildings
- charcoal grills at private residences
- specific prescribed or controlled burns for agricultural or irrigation purposes

Public fireworks displays are not affected by the ban.

Hickenlooper said up until Thursday many of Colorado’s counties had similar bans in place, but this order makes it clear what the rule is everywhere.

“Right now, while we know the entire state is tinder dry, we’re going to have a statewide ban,” Hickenlooper said. “Let’s say we start getting a lot of rain in northwestern Colorado, we’ll back off.”

“Right now we felt it was imperative to get everybody focused,” he said.

Rock Dog
06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
The guy in the house behind me was burning a fire in one of those big steel pit things last night, and the fire dept showed up and told him there is an open fire Ban... told him he could use his indoor fireplace, but not that pit thing, even with a grate... he is not a developed CAMP/PICNIC/Recreation site.... So no open fire in the city of centennial..... :hill:

Red_Chili
06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
If it was Evergreen, in the middle of a forest, I would be all over that...

However, I wonder how tinder dry the lawn conditions actually are in Centennial? :lmao:

Red_Chili
06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
FWIW... this came over the scanner and was reported in Pinecam.

As of noon Tuesday, Springer Fire size [fire near Eleven Mile Reservoir west of Divide] is estimated at 1100 acres. Fire is 10% contained. So far it has been stopped at the South Platte River. Fire danger is EXTREME for today and tomorrow. Any small fire can become a large fire very quickly. Winds for today are West - SW at 10-20mph. The fire had laid down well last night and had low activity this morning. Yesterday’s fire movement was mostly to East and Southeast rather than toward Northeast, not sure what it will do today.

An abandoned campfire about a quarter mile from the Weber Fire started a new fire today called “Weber 2”. Crews are on scene.
Two more abandoned campfire incidents have been extinguished north of Woodland Park, one cigarette butt initiated fire put out near Divide.
Good grief...

subzali
06-19-2012, 03:25 PM
:rolleyes: Come on people, is it really that hard?

rover67
06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I was following a car on 70 that flicked a but out of the window. It is really disappointing that people are so ignorant.

DaveInDenver
06-19-2012, 04:10 PM
The guy in the house behind me was burning a fire in one of those big steel pit things last night, and the fire dept showed up and told him there is an open fire Ban... told him he could use his indoor fireplace, but not that pit thing, even with a grate... he is not a developed CAMP/PICNIC/Recreation site.... So no open fire in the city of centennial..... :hill:
True, chimineas and fire pits are not legal to use in the city of Denver either. Currently BBQ pits are OK. Little known fact is that you technically have to have a permit for an open fire in the city all the time, not just during fire bans.

wesintl
06-19-2012, 04:10 PM
People still smoke cigarettes :confused:

Red_Chili
06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
The Darwinian dead enders do... except they still seem to be able to reproduce and muck up the gene pool...

Ooooo that sounded harsh... :lmao:

nakman
06-20-2012, 04:17 PM
We camped at Steamboat Lake State Park last weekend. Yes there were fires allowed in the fire rings, they sold wood at the Marina, couldn't tell there was any sort of heightened fire awareness, other than I've never camped in an area as well patrolled as that one, saw a ranger every 2 hours, minimum. Not sure why, none of them ever asked for my fishing license which I thought for sure would have happened at least once. :confused:

As I was setting up a woman a few camps over came by and started talking to me, she was interested in this fancy awning contraption I had on my vehicle.. anyway she said they got a ticket the night before at 12:45. They had been in bed for 2 hours, the park rangers were going around turning over logs in fire pits, and they found a warm spot one one of the logs in their fire pit. She had poured 2 gallons of water on it, the other side of the log was soaking in a puddle.. apparently her incessant screaming got herself out of the ticket. I found that somewhat interesting, felt like some over-the-top policing to me, but hey I'm no fireman. We emptied the full 7-gallon jug on ours each night, was actually interesting to see how you could keep stirring it and overturn new hot spots even long after it had been submerged. I've never put that much water on a camp fire, but wth we were right next to the spigot.

This was not really camping, IMO, by most standards. it's families pulling trailers setting up on flat gravel with a paved driveway. No brush, no trees, just you & the wind, and kids riding bikes. Being by the lake made it fun though, otherwise not really my thing, other than was cool seeing our 3yo daughter dial in the coasting thing on her Strider bike.

wesintl
06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.campchef.com/images/thumbnails/0/525/gclog12822529494c6da09538e69.jpg

nuclearlemon
06-21-2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.campchef.com/images/thumbnails/0/525/gclog12822529494c6da09538e69.jpg

Probably not.legal in most places since.there's no grate over the top

Typed while.smoking a cigarette because smokers like ohv enthusiasts get a bad rap from.a small.group

wesintl
06-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Probably not.legal in most places since.there's no grate over the top
100% legal under fire bans. Just depends on the level. Much safer than flying embers.

Typed while.smoking a cigarette because smokers get a bad rap from.a large.group

Meh

DaveInDenver
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
100% legal under fire bans. Just depends on the level. Much safer than flying embers.
Don't think so.

http://www.jcfpd.org/coburndefinitions.pdf

It would have to be a permanent fire ring in an established area or gas fueled.

wesintl
06-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Isn't it gas fueled?

Hulk
06-21-2012, 03:43 PM
It would have to be a permanent fire ring in an established area or gas fueled.

It's fueled by propane. Isn't that gas?

Hulk
06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Found this on the Red Rocks website:

The following are prohibited in Denver Mountain Parks during the fire ban:
• Use of propane, gas, charcoal or open fires for grilling or cooking
• Anything that produces an open flame or has the potential to create and uncontrollable fire.
• Building, maintaining, attending or using any fire to burn trash, debris, fence rows or vegetation.
• Any campfire or warming fire.
• Smoking, except within and enclosed vehicle or building
• Operating a chain saw without a USDA or SAE approved spark protector and having a chemical arresting device properly installed in an in effective working order.
• Welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with an open flame
• Use of an explosive initiation system requiring a burning fuse line.
• Permissible fireworks, as defined by Colorado revised statues, 12-28-101.

Denver Mountain Parks cover more than 14,100 acres and are located in Jefferson, Clear Creek and Douglas Counties. For a full listing of Denver Mountain Parks, please visit www.denvergov.org/parks

DaveInDenver
06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
I thought it was charcoal. If it's gas that might be OK.

wesintl
06-21-2012, 03:59 PM
It really depends on the ban level and what county. The most frustrating thing is there isn't a state wide guideline on bans, from what I see ban definitions vary from county to county. It is legal when traditional fires are usually banned but also has potential to fall under a complete ban.

60wag
06-21-2012, 09:36 PM
The forest service has moved to a statewide stage II fire restriction. Most docs describing the restrictions look something like this:

http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/explanation_fire_restrictions.pdf

The Boulder Ranger District has some additional wording including something like: "gas fueled stoves must have a 3 foot diameter zone around them that is free of any combistable materials."

zornff
06-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Here is an interesting site, showing all current fire incidents for the USFS. The first one started May 13 near Pagosa Springs and is still burning. Good grief.

http://inciweb.org/

This fire is now 16,000 acres ! They are not trying to extinguish it, just letting it burn. They do have firefighters on it but its growing every day. The smoke in the morning is brutal, and the plumes in the afternoon are scary. :mad:mad:

farnhamstj
06-22-2012, 05:39 PM
"Exemptions Common to Stages I and II

␣ Persons using a fire fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels."

thelal
07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
In the end I spent a few days camping in WY, Encampment, Medicine Bow etc..
The only place I found that didn't have a fire ban was on the Miracle Mile (N of Seminoe Park) stretch river. Some nice camping spots but not a lot of shade.
5-6hr drive so likely not worth it unless going for 4-5+ days and get some fishing in as well

Now - need to deal with my 'hot' 80- new fan clutch didn't seem to help.
Lal

Hulk
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I bought one of these propane campfires. Little Red Portable Campfire (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/little-red-portable-campfire/34763).

$50 off right now. Not entirely sure that it's legal up in the mountains, but it can be extinguished in seconds with the turn of the dial.

Red_Chili
07-03-2012, 10:22 AM
The signage in Jeffco is confusing, clearly stating

FIRE BAN
NO OPEN FLAMES

Yet it doesn't seem much of a stretch from a legal, propane grill, to what you posted.

It does indeed appear legal in Jeffco: http://jeffco.us/news/news_item_T3_R2635.htm

What is allowed in a fire ban?

• Only devices that are liquid fueled or gas fueled are allowed. Simply put, gas grills, gas fire pits, gas stoves, and gas lanterns are allowed. The rule of thumb is whether or not the fire can be “turned off,” rather than “put out.”