PDA

View Full Version : Popping Rear Axle Sound

CBone
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Posted this up on MUD this morning, but I thought I'd check in with the locals, as well :D

Following CruiseMoab I noticed my rear axle made a popping noise, not pronounced, but just like a train on the track. The faster I go the faster the popping. I do have an Aussie locker, so at first I thought it was just the locker getting worked in, as it only has a few thousand miles on it. But, this is not the random loud pop associated with the Aussie's. It is a consistent, always there slight pop. I checked the fluid level in the diff, looked for leaks, all is good.

What I've noticed lately though is when I apply the brakes, the popping noise goes away completely. Made me think it's something other than the locker going on back there.
Any thoughts, anything I should be looking for? Thanks.

rover67
06-15-2012, 03:28 PM
could be the brake shoes dragging and clicking back and forth. check to make sure they are adjusted right and all the parts are there (so the shoes are nice and centered on the backing plate).

Sometimes springs can break and fall off in there making a clicking noise too.

I'd get somebody to walk along next to it and see what side it is coming from then take it apart. should a 2 beer kinda thing and maybe a trip to napa for a hardware kit if something is broken or messed up in there.

corsair23
06-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Any thoughts

Drive over to Marco's place with a 6 pack of :beer: :D

CBone
06-15-2012, 04:01 PM
I'll try this, thanks Marco.

Jacket
06-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I like the loose brake parts theory as well - happened to me in the 40. Where is the ebrake on a 60? Could something be loose in there?

nattybumppo
06-15-2012, 04:35 PM
The Aussie in my 40 clicks regularly. I can only hear it when I am driving between two close buildings though. Of course I could only hear my ex-wife talking when she was holding my head between two close hard objects (frypans!?).

Really though, I have some spare used rear brake kit parts if it turns out to be that.