PDA

View Full Version : CUSP needs Rising Sun's help with re-routing closures

LisafromCusp
06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
The Trail Creek Watershed area is currently under major restoration from the Hayman Fire. Sediment entering the streams roads adjacent to roads trails add an estimated 848 tons per year. Proposed re-locations, reduced stream crossings and stabilization should reduce these amounts by 72%.

Planning, scoping and approvals have been a long time in the works. We expect to have approval soon, when it happens, it will happen fast - CUSP will need help hauling materials in 4x4 areas, with trucks, trailers and in tight spots with ATV's.

While I don't yet have a project date to post, I wanted to let you know what is going on and that the crew at CUSP & myself would greatly appreciate your unique help, your can-do spirit and support... and to remind you that I bake killer brownies! :). If you have ideas on some dates that might be better than others, I will do my best to make it happen. You all rock! Thank you!

Here's the plan... Volunteer Projects
Closure Barriers-
At all junctions of closed trail/road and existing route barriers and signage will need to be installed. Depending upon the location the closures might include; metal pipe and cable, buck and rail fencing and/or large woody debris.

Spreading of Compost -
In some areas, due to the nature of the terrain and trail width, heavy equipment will not be able to disperse the vital compost. We will need volunteers to help transporting the material via, ATVs, wheelbarrows, and other means. Large piles will be staged as close as feasible with volunteers helping to move mulch interior.

Trail/Road Re-Vegetation -
Seeding and raking and slashing in - Laying of branches and slash materials on newly raked and seeded areas.

nuclearlemon
06-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Just curious, how.many miles have been.shut down because.of the irresponsible govt agent vs. 6 miles we'll get and when will those trails be open. Sorry, but i've read.this after a bad day and boulder county has a lot of us gunshy with false promises of opening trails in exchange for.closing trails

J Kimmel
06-15-2012, 08:37 PM
mother nature should be banned from the forests, she dumps way more sediment into the rivers and streams and causes so much more erosion than my little tires ever could :)

LisafromCusp
06-16-2012, 02:16 PM
You ask a very valid question. I don't have the answer; though I am certain the numbers in acreage/miles pale in comparison to these small reroutes. Ten years later, damage from this fire is still a very hard pill to swallow. Your group and others are doing what can be done to remedy unprecedented erosion; this is piece of that effort. Volunteers have been invaluable in restoring Hayman waterways, trails and vegetation. I am grateful, future generations will thank you as well.

And to top that off - I need to offer my very humble apology for not spotting in 'Preview Post" my incomplete (and not accurate) sentence regarding 6 miles being added... this is part of an entirely different document. I am embarrassed for my error, and hope you can accept my apology. Lisa

subzali
06-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Lisa, are the MVUM's being updated, then, to reflect these changes?

I think what would be useful would be a map with the proposed changes, and doesn't something like this require a comment period from the public? The Boulder Ranger district just did this for us a couple months ago and we were able to provide our input and get a feel for exactly what they are planning to do in the Jenny Creek area. Should we contact the Pike National Forest for more information?

Red_Chili
06-18-2012, 10:40 AM
mother nature should be banned from the forests, she dumps way more sediment into the rivers and streams and causes so much more erosion than my little tires ever could :)
Put an uphill trail in steep terrain near a waterway, then burn off all the vegetation so erosion takes off, and shazzam, nope, not true at all.

Reroutes in Left Hand Canyon have resulted in significant, measurable reductions in sedimentation and turbidity in the water flow. And Left Hand was not a Hayman scenario even.

nuclearlemon
06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
of course lefthand has gotten better, carnage ran in the stream. bound to be sedimentation there. still waiting on THAT "reroute" tho ;)

LisafromCusp
06-19-2012, 07:13 AM
I apologize for my delay in responding. I live very near the fire in Lake George, and have been in and out of evacuation. I don't have the proposed changes map, yes, there has been public scoping, and yes, the Pike NF is the best contact for details on the proposed changes. What CUSP does is go in and help once the work has been agreed upon... it sounds like agreement is approaching.