PDA

View Full Version : Waldo Canyon Fire

Rezarf
06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Well, my family was evacuated yesterday with this new fire in Colorado Springs, this may be a ROUGH summer in Colorado. We are safe and sound at a friends house, but the fire is 0% contained.

God bless our firefighters!

Bighead
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
We've spent the last few hours getting ready to bail out. The evacuation areas are getting closer to us in Woodland Park.

Corbet
06-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Wish you all well.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Corbet, I thought Durango also had a fire. Hope you all are ok down there.

Dan Crossing my fingers for you all in the Waldo area.

This heat and wind are crazy for June weather. Supposed to be raining every afternoon.

RockRunner
06-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Hope the fires turn on themselves and burn out, thinking of you guys and all the ohers.

Red_Chili
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Arson is strongly suspected. 20 fires set near highways in the area, usually in the day/late afternoon but not at night. Some folks on Pinecam are itching for the opportunity for arsonist target practice...

It's been 95 in Evergreen. Scary unusual. People are really twitchy up here and for good reason.

Corbet
06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Corbet, I thought Durango also had a fire. Hope you all are ok down there.

I think we are up to 4 fires now. Our immediate area is not threatened yet so I'm just enjoying the smoke. But we do have a pair of good ones going down here.

smslavin
06-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Hope the fires turn on themselves and burn out

Thinking the same thing. Arsonists suck. It should be open season and Hammurabi's Law for whoever finds them first.

Air Randy
06-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Looks like the Waldo Canyon fire West of C. Springs is totally out of control and headed North in to Douglas County. I heard the Flying W ranch & restaraunt is gone now.

Subject: PRE-EVACUATION NOTICE ONLY! THIS IS ONLY TO BE AWARE AND TO PREPARE

CONTACT #1: Sgt. Ron Hanavan, Public Information Officer, 303-663-7755
CONTACT #2: Lt. Glenn Peitzmeier, Public Information Officer, 303-663-7755

RELEASE DATE: 06/27/2012 RELEASE TIME: 1:00 pm CASE NUMBER:

WHAT: PRE-EVACUATION NOTICE ONLY! THIS IS ONLY TO BE AWARE AND TO PREPARE

NARRATIVE: Area of Interest: S. County Line – Rampart Range Rd MM 20 to Hwy 67 MM 93.

This is Douglas Regional 9-1-1 with a pre-evacuation warning. The Waldo Canyon fire burning in El Paso County is expanding and poses a threat to residents of southwestern Douglas County. Parts of Woodland Park are now under mandatory evacuation and will be leaving from that area. The specific area included in this pre-evacuation warning is bounded by the South County Line Rd. on the south, North along Rampart Range Rd. to MM 20 to Hwy 67 to MM 93. This includes the areas of West Creek, Trout Creek, and Rainbow Falls.

Residents in the affected area need to make immediate plans for the evacuation and care of family members and animals. The Douglas County Fairgrounds in Castle Rock can accommodate evacuees and large animals should an evacuation become necessary. Residents are urged to gather important documents, medications, and important personal effects so that they will be immediately available should conditions deteriorate.

Please monitor local news channels for fire updates. If the fire comes dangerously close to your area, an evacuation order will be sent to this same telephone number. However, residents must maintain situational awareness. If you are in danger, DO NOT WAIT for an evacuation order. Take the initiative to leave immediately if local conditions warrant such action.

Please refrain from calling 9-1-1 unless you have an actual emergency. Check the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office website, DCSHERIFF.NET, for updates. Again, this is a pre-evacuation warning for your area.

If an evacuation is necessary, residents will need to evacuate to the North.

Red_Chili
06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Yes, the pix are heartbreaking. New-ish homes engulfed in flames, cars still in the neat as a pin driveways.

We are currently getting a soaker in Evergreen, thanks be. I hope C Springs is getting soaked too... but the fire is so hot the water would vaporize before it hit the ground I would bet.

Corbet
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
I wish the best for everyone down in the Springs.

Buckru
06-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Last year in Texas was horrible for wildfires. I was scrambling to load the cruiser with items that aren't replaceable while I watched an ever increasing cloud of smoke blowing directly over my house. We were fortunate in that the fire came under control .75 miles from my house. I drove over and thanked every fireman I could find. They were actually impressed that someone listened up and started packing as the cruiser was about full.

Prayers going out that none of yall are affected.

Buck

smslavin
06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
We are currently getting a soaker in Evergreen, thanks be.

Good deal. Glad to hear that.

We got evac'd a few years with the big fires in San Diego. First time in history that the fires got within a few miles of the beach. Huge cinders falling out of the sky. Really apocalyptic.

Hope Mother Nature throws the firefighters some relief and eases the stress of everyone down that way.

Rezarf
06-27-2012, 04:51 PM
This has been like nothing I have ever seen. We are safe and about 8 miles from the front lines but to watch the fire cross Queens Canyon and Glen Eyrie (where we are working/evacuated from) down into the homes in about a half hours time was truly terrifying.

The city has been incredibly organized, I am very impressed with how they are handling this situation. Not one loss of life.

We had friends yesterday in the hardest hit areas text things like "Flames all around, stuck in traffic, pray we make it"... it was sobering.

We need some rain and favorable winds. The smoke is nuts.

Shark Bait
06-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Here is a link to pictures: http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2012/06/27/colorado-wildfires-waldo-canyon-fire-colorado-springs/5732/

rover67
06-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow. I don't even know what to say. You all please try to stay safe down there. Holy cow.

LARGEONE
06-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I was so bummed to see so many of the homes above GOG go up in flames. I've been in quite a few of this beautiful homes in mountain shadows over the 7 years I lived down there and I used to run the Waldo canyon trail nearly every week. So sad. I just cannot believe it!

Fishy
06-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Those are some of the most amazing photos I've ever seen. Unreal.

treerootCO
06-28-2012, 08:57 AM
He has more pics up...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2012/06/27/aerial-photos-waldo-canyon-fire-colorado-springs/5735/

Jacket
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
That last set really shows how those retardant sprays do their job in creating a fire line. Crazy to see how the fire spared certain houses in those densely populated areas.

nakman
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Also wild to see how the entire culdesac could be gone, but all of the trees in their front yards still in tact? just amazing..

smslavin
06-28-2012, 03:39 PM
wow. that's just crazy and leaves me totally speechless. i heard something about arson earlier today...

wesintl
06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
we need supertankers!

KvBRWTumoZI

wesintl
06-29-2012, 06:18 PM
cool time lapse
ZBA7eHY022k

smslavin
06-29-2012, 09:26 PM
cool time lapse

that was wild

Rezarf
06-30-2012, 10:35 AM
That was my last week, thanks for posting that really captured the crisis points well.

subzali
06-30-2012, 08:55 PM
That was my last week, thanks for posting that really captured the crisis points well.

You're in Colorado Springs?

Fishy
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
My wife took the kids today and involved them in donating some much needed items to those who lost everything and the brave men and women fighting these fires.

Please give what you can, as a family.

On a side note, my 5 y.o. was excited to tell me he seen someone from our BOWAGWR. Was anyone in DTC/Greenwood Village donating today? I'd be very impressed if he really recognized someone.

4runner
07-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Get to head home tonight and out of this hotel. :headbang:

Fishy
07-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Great news! Is your home in the same condition as you left it?

Rezarf
07-01-2012, 08:18 PM
You're in Colorado Springs?

Yeah, we are leading a Leadership Development Program for folks from around the world at Glen Eyrie Conference Center (Owned by The Navigators).

This was the view from my evacuation home (friends of ours) on Tuesday when fire rained down in the city... 20 minutes later we were in near darkness as the smoke got so heavy the street lights came on. It was flippin' nuts.

We hope to be back in our summer home by the middle of the week, but even today they were fighting fire in our canyon.

Man Jerk
07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
We were evacuated Tuesday night and got to return on Saturday AM. House is fine, family is safe and happy. Never want to experience something like that again. Absolutely horrifying. Watching that fire gain steam for days before it turned on the city like that. We have some of THE BEST firefighters in the country here in the springs and they have said they have never seen anything like this before in their careers.

Rezarf, did you get evacuated to Woodmen Valley Chapel? I know that some people got evacuated there from the navigators before Woodmen Valley itself was evacuated. WVC is our church and we live about 1.5 miles west of there.

It's creepy still, watching fires on the mountainsides work on burning themselves out. We've been watching helicopters all weekend shuttle back and forth.

Amazing work by all of the agencies involved in the effort. So much hard work and sacrifice.

God Bless... :cheers:

4runner
07-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Great news! Is your home in the same condition as you left it?

Yep.

The neighbor burning behind my condo complex (photo from the "Denver Post"). I think I spent above half of my day at work on Wednesday reading the news and looking at photos trying to find out if my place made it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/tbox/Colorado%20Fire%202012/pCAO07AAI.jpg

Then yesterday before they opened the area up I was able to take this photo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/tbox/Colorado%20Fire%202012/IMG_0810.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/tbox/Colorado%20Fire%202012/IMG_0811.jpg

Rezarf
07-01-2012, 10:47 PM
We were evacuated Tuesday night and got to return on Saturday AM. House is fine, family is safe and happy. Never want to experience something like that again. Absolutely horrifying. Watching that fire gain steam for days before it turned on the city like that. We have some of THE BEST firefighters in the country here in the springs and they have said they have never seen anything like this before in their careers.

Rezarf, did you get evacuated to Woodmen Valley Chapel? I know that some people got evacuated there from the navigators before Woodmen Valley itself was evacuated. WVC is our church and we live about 1.5 miles west of there.

It's creepy still, watching fires on the mountainsides work on burning themselves out. We've been watching helicopters all weekend shuttle back and forth.

Amazing work by all of the agencies involved in the effort. So much hard work and sacrifice.

God Bless... :cheers:

Yeah Mark- we were some of the very first to be evacuated and we were sent to WVC, but before I got there (we were locking down doors and windows at Glen Eyrie) they had been evacuated again downtown to 1st Presbyterian. Ironic thing was we were set up to host a 1000+ picnic for 1st Pres the next day, instead they fed us and gave us a place to sleep.

It was nuts, I think it was the most surreal and scary thing I have seen with my own two eyes. I wanted to throw my kids in the car and speed to Kansas, but I have 32 international students here spread out around the city so we came to our senses and stayed. Spooky stuff.

Man Jerk
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Are you still in Colorado Springs? If so we should grab a beer :beer:

Rezarf
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Are you still in Colorado Springs? If so we should grab a beer :beer:

Yes I am, shoot me a pm and lets set it up.

Drew