PDA

View Full Version : Telluride area trail recommendations

smslavin
06-27-2012, 08:56 AM
We're taking a road trip to Telluride next weekend to visit my aunt and uncle. Going to head down on Thursday morning and come back Sunday or Monday. I don't want to go all the way down there and not get the truck dirty. If we go for a trail ride, we'll be doing it solo so I was looking for recommendations on trails. I'm guessing we're only going to have time to do one trail as the :Princess:es are going to want to wander town too.

With the girls, I can't just drive, so a trail with some history or natural features where they can get out and explore would be perfect.

wesintl
06-27-2012, 08:58 AM
imogene, If you can make a loop do imogene to blackbear back to telluride but that's most of the day.

last dollar rd is easy and nice and scenic. so is ophir.

smslavin
06-27-2012, 09:33 AM
i was thinking imogene but wasn't sure how difficult it may or may not be. bec doesn't really like being out on narrow shelf roads.

i'll look up the other two. thanks.

nakman
06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
i was thinking imogene but wasn't sure how difficult it may or may not be. bec doesn't really like being out on narrow shelf roads..

Then scrap Imogene then.. it's got the epitome of the narrow shelf, just one spot as you climb up out of Telluride, but scary enough that my wife would prefer to never do Imogene again. though we do have a slight aversion to shelf roads.. :o

Another vote for Ophir- not as scary, not as epic up in the peaks, but downright beautiful. have fun out there.

corsair23
06-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Another vote for Ophir...

I don't recall if it is one-way or not but we ran it in a Dodge Durango from the Ouray side to the Telluride side. Did Imogene on the way back in the Durango as well :hill:

If you have time, from Ouray drive up to Yankee Boy basin. Not difficult and if the flowers are around it is pretty spectacular. The picture of my truck on the officer's page was taken up there.

smslavin
07-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Ok. This place is awesome. Spent the day wandering town with the girls and they loved it. If I could afford anything in this town, I would move without a second thought. Full time living here would be absolutely epic.

Rained hard this afternoon, but I think I'm going to make the drive up Imogene tomorrow or Saturday. Probably just going to go to the top and then head back down to Telluride. I don't think I'll have enough time to go all the way to Ouray.

Talking about doing Ophir on Saturday.

Sunday we've got tickets to Ziggy Marley. :thumb:

On our way back north, we're going to take Last Dollar out of town.

Curecanti is beautiful and definitely needs more exploration. I wish I had a boat.

smslavin
07-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Then scrap Imogene then.. it's got the epitome of the narrow shelf, just one spot as you climb up out of Telluride, but scary enough that my wife would prefer to never do Imogene again. though we do have a slight aversion to shelf roads..

It's been raining here almost non stop for the last 4 days. Woke up this morning to an absolutely beautiful day and we decided on Imogene. Wifey handled it just fine except for a couple of spots. Probably the same spots that got your wife. Once we got around the corner and spotted Tomboy, she was totally jazzed.

Wandered around Tomboy for quite awhile. The little :Princess:es were loving it and my wife and I were just floored. Such an amazing piece of history.

Drove to the top of the pass to check the view and have lunch.

Bec handled the drive down a bit better since she was on the inside and didn't have to look at the drop off out her window.

Very little traffic the entire time we were up there. Bunch of quads, handful of Jeeps but at the very bottom we passed a beautifully restored 40 and a 40 pickup.

This is an amazing area.

Woodsman
07-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I really enjoy watching the wildlife in Telluride . . . the two-legged kind that is.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I bet Imogene was spectacular.. pics?

Had a buddy up there a few weeks ago, Black bear was already open.

Can't wait to be there in a few weeks, helping the massses navigate Black Bear.

rover67
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
That's one of my favorite areas of the state also. lets see some pictures already....

Corbet
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
an't wait to be there in a few weeks, helping the massses navigate Black Bear.

Probably see you Friday afternoon.

CardinalFJ60
07-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Ok. This place is awesome. Spent the day wandering town with the girls and they loved it. If I could afford anything in this town, I would move without a second thought. Full time living here would be absolutely epic.

My buddy John Richter started his photography business there...might still have his gallery, not sure. epic. yes.

smslavin
07-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I bet Imogene was spectacular.. pics?

Had a buddy up there a few weeks ago, Black bear was already open.

Can't wait to be there in a few weeks, helping the massses navigate Black Bear.

That's one of my favorite areas of the state also. lets see some pictures already....

Black Bear is open. Bec saw a picture of a truck coming down it and said no f'ing way. :hill:

Pics coming. We extended our stay a couple of days (one of the few perks of being a virtual employee). Headed home tomorrow. I'll get some pics up tomorrow night.

My buddy John Richter started his photography business there...might still have his gallery, not sure. epic. yes.

I've definitely got to figure out a way to get back to it, even if it's just part-time. Being here has pretty much solidified that. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet but I'm going to spend some time figuring it out.

corsair23
07-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Did you guys make it over to Ouray? IMO I prefer it over Telluride for the small Colorado town feel. A common person could probably actually afford to live in and around Ouray as well :hill:

smslavin
07-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Did you guys make it over to Ouray? IMO I prefer it over Telluride for the small Colorado town feel.

No, didn't make it to Ouray. I had wanted to head down there from Imogene and then come back on Ophir but it would have been a really long day for the girls. They had a lot of fun with just going to the top and back down and I didn't want to push my luck.

A common person could probably actually afford to live in and around Ouray as well :hill:

Ha! No kidding. We looked at a few places here while walking around town. Holy crap. I might as well have been back in SoCal. For now, I'm more than happy to call my aunt and uncle and ask if we can sleep in the basement...

bh4rnnr
07-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Black Bear is open. Bec saw a picture of a truck coming down it and said no f'ing way. :hill:

Pics coming. We extended our stay a couple of days (one of the few perks of being a virtual employee). Headed home tomorrow. I'll get some pics up tomorrow night.

I've definitely got to figure out a way to get back to it, even if it's just part-time. Being here has pretty much solidified that. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet but I'm going to spend some time figuring it out.

I've done Black Bear twice. Enough for one man. No more will I drive down that to narrow of a road. Lots of other places to enjoy.

Did you guys make it over to Ouray? IMO I prefer it over Telluride for the small Colorado town feel. A common person could probably actually afford to live in and around Ouray as well :hill:

Jeff, really? Ouray has to be a bit cheaper. Oh, and it doesnt have the "Mountain Village" next door.

Fishy
07-10-2012, 09:21 PM
My wife and I have spent a bunch of time in Ridgway. We love it. Small Town, Colorado..... you can beat it. http://www.adobeinnridgway.com/. Awesome margaritas! Did you ever notice that Colorado's small mountain towns have the absolute BEST Mexican restaurants in the world??!!

It's hard to beat that entire area at any time of the year.

riderjgs
07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
My wife and I have spent a bunch of time in Ridgway. We love it. Small Town, Colorado..... you can beat it. http://www.adobeinnridgway.com/. Awesome margaritas! Did you ever notice that Colorado's small mountain towns have the absolute BEST Mexican restaurants in the world??!!

It's hard to beat that entire area at any time of the year.

Adobe Inn, according to my co-pilot, may be the best Mexican food in Colorado. Those who consider mass-merchandise chips and a little spicy red sauce or Velveta may not agree, but I do. Good stop while in the area. Also a B&B (communal bathrooms) if you want a night off the ground.