PDA

View Full Version : Need to rebuild my balls

smslavin
06-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Actually, the uni-balls in my UCAs. Received the rebuild parts from Icon yesterday and will be attempting this over the weekend. Has anyone done this before? Any specific tools I might need?

smslavin
06-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Did a little digging around and the only thing I'm worried about (besides getting the UCAs off with all my fingers intact) with this is getting the balls pressed back into the UCAs. Any tips? Can I just do a vice with a couple of blocks of wood?

corsair23
06-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Might be worth sending a PM to Robbie (powderpig)...Maybe he can use the question in a future Toyota Trails :thumb:

We just don't have all that many FJCs in the club so finding someone that may have experience with this might be tough over something to do with a 40, 60, 80, or even a 100 series...

nakman
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Didn't Brady & Davis do this when they cut their frames down to fit 35's? Feels like eons ago, I know.. and neither of them have FJ Cruisers anymore for that matter either.

smslavin
06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
no worries. i think i have it figured out. just hope the hoa gestapo don't decide to make run through the neighborhood since i think i'll be making a mess on the street...

rover67
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
I helped Davis with his UCA's when I cut Brady's and his frames and they are pretty easy to pull off. the long bolt that goes through the top can wiggle out toward the front of the truck enough to get it out. Even the one next to the battery comes out.

As far as pressing the mono balls in I haven't done that.. Maybe Davis has. I seem to remember his being totally worn out when I pulled his UCA's off for him before he got rid the runner. I think he got some replacements but I am not sure if he replaced them or sold them with the UCA's. May want to PM him.

Jacket
06-28-2012, 01:23 PM
You might be able to pull the UCA and run it over to a street corner repair shop nearby that has a press, and ask them to do the press out/press in part of the job. It might cost you $50-75, but it might be worth it in time and effort.

I did something similar when I swapped springs on my old coilovers, and used the Meinke on the corner by my house with their spring compressor to do it. I just walked the parts over to the shop, and 30 minutes later came out with the springs swapped.

fjcruzer
06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I replaced the uniballs in my TC UCAs a couple of years ago with a bench vice, some oversized washers and a mallet. Getting the first one unseated wasn't pretty, but it worked out. Starting to souns like I might need to do them again in the near future...

smslavin
06-28-2012, 04:34 PM
You might be able to pull the UCA and run it over to a street corner repair shop nearby that has a press, and ask them to do the press out/press in part of the job. It might cost you $50-75, but it might be worth it in time and effort.

If we had a second car, I'd be all over that. :hill:

I replaced the uniballs in my TC UCAs a couple of years ago with a bench vice, some oversized washers and a mallet. Getting the first one unseated wasn't pretty, but it worked out. Starting to sound like I might need to do them again in the near future...

That's what I think I'm going to do. I feel like I need to beat on something anyway. :thumb:

Jacket
06-28-2012, 05:33 PM
If we had a second car, I'd be all over that. :hill:

hey man - all you need is an appointment, a bike and a backpack.... ;)

smslavin
06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
hey man - all you need is an appointment, a bike and a backpack.... ;)

thanks for the input mr. funny guy :lmao: