PDA

View Full Version : Hail Damage

Shark Bait
07-01-2012, 09:47 AM
My 80 got clobbered a couple of weeks ago when a bad hail storm moved through Parker. I just got a check from State Farm to do the paintless dent repair and fix it all. Does that work pretty well? Will the cruiser look like it did originally? I figure my other option is to sell it, with or without the armor, and maybe buy a 100. What do you all think? This is a 1997 with 245k miles and it runs great. No other major issues. My pictures do not do the hail damage justice, BTW.

riderjgs
07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Chris:
Done right, you should be happy. Had it done on my first 55 to avoid messing with the original paint when removing minor dents and also have had it done on later model vehicles. No paint matching to worry about, now or later, and minimal down time. Trick is to find someone who's done it awhile and avoid some new franchisee for one of the paintless chains who is still developing skills. I'd check with a dealer or two and see who they use. Most of them use this method, in house or hired out, on their used car inventory. Or ask State Farm for a recommendation, since they're still on the hook if you're not happy.
Jim

60wag
07-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Just lift it some more. The taller the truck, the harder it is to see the hail damage :)

Corbet
07-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Given the age and miles on the truck personally I'd pocket the INS check if you can. Will hail damage really effect the resale or trade-in values of your vehicle. Not really IMO.

Now if you want to keep it for a while and the damage bothers you then I think you'll be happy with the repairs. But you mentioned a 100... so it sounds like your getting ready to move on.

Hulk
07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I had massive hail damage on my black car last summer. They did paintless dent repair on everything but the aluminum hood. It came out flawless.

sleeoffroad
07-03-2012, 07:09 AM
It all depends on the size of the check. If you are ready to move on, then maybe now is the time to cash out. If the check is substantial, it might be more than the loss you will take on selling a hail damaged truck. That way you get a good price for the 80. If it only covers dentless repair, you might as well do that.

We have a really good guy we use. He has done miracles with situations where we thought it would not be salvageable.

Rezarf
07-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I agree, if someone else wants to buy me a 100, and I was eyeing one... I'd take the money and run.

Drew