PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Creek Cleanup Sat. Aug. 18

subzali
07-02-2012, 01:54 PM
The Boulder Ranger District has a slot open on Saturday, August 18 for Rising Sun to do a cleanup trip with them!

#1 thing is we need to find volunteers and leaders for this event! I will probably not be able to make it!

See Marco's post below about details

Here's a message from Maribeth:
I was looking over our summer schedule and saw the Jenny Creek Run scheduled for August 18. I remember last year the club was talking about wetland damage occurring along the trail. I wondered if on the 18th, perhaps we could locate that site and evaluate it for buck and rail construction needs – or if buck and rail would even be effective. I know the club has been eager to do more work out there, and it seems to me that would be a good opportunity to have a beneficial impact. If we could figure out how much length of fencing was needed, we could schedule a date, perhaps in early September to build fence with the club. Or maybe we can schedule a day to meet out there before 8/18 to evaluate/measure for buck and rail, and we could build it on the 18th. Let me know what you and the club think.
Thanks, hope your summer is going great!
-Maribeth

Who can lead and who wants to go? Rising Sun camping trip maybe? :camping: :campfire:

Oh wait, maybe it'll be :camping: without the :campfire: this year :o

rover67
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Details of the work day have been hammered out.....

We have a lot of work to do including:
Signage on the lower section of Jenny Creek
Buck and Rail to close off illegal bypasses at the beginning of the trail
Trash pickup along the trail and Campsite cleanup
Post and cable repair
Kiosk maintenance
Wheel the trail
Camp with Friends

Depending on how many folks show up I think it'd be ideal to split up into groups to be able to divide and conquer. The forest service will have quite a few folks there working so each group should be able to have a chaperone.

Please think about whether or not you can make it and post up. The general plan would be to camp on the 17th up near Yankee Doodle so we are ready to work Saturday morning.

Thanks!
Marco

List of folks attending:

Uncle Ben (Kevin)
60wag (Bruce)
TreerootCo (Mike)
Kenon698 (Ken)
Simps80 (Mike)
DanS (Dan)
Fishy (Stan)
Jaderunner (Scott)
Mountaingoat (Dan)
euroford (Tim)
Jacket (Matt)

subzali
07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Sorry Marco, I forgot to put your response to Maribeth's email, which should clarify things for the club:
Thanks for the message!!

There were two areas we identified last year that needed a bit of work.

1). about halfway down there was an area on teh trail that was flooded and becoming muddy. Last year simply draining it worked well. this dried the road bed and eliminated the mud problem.

I think that this year with our lack of moisture this will not be an issue but I have not been up there yet.

2). Near the bottom of the trail where the hiking trails start, vehicles have created another rout up and out of the drainage to the trail head. This is where I think we should focus our efforts. I think that some evident signing would go a long way to help since most people don't know they are going the wrong way.

The upper wetland was doing well last year and will more than likely only need some post and cable repair as is always the case.

I'd like to get up there and do some recon in the next few weeks. Do you have time in the near future?

Uncle Ben
07-02-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm in!

treerootCO
07-02-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm in....let me know if we need to get OHV stickers.

simps80
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm in!

subzali
07-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm in....let me know if we need to get OHV stickers.

Marco talked with Maribeth and it sounds like the BRD is still in the education mode. YMMV.

FJBRADY
07-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Ahhh I thought I could make this, but think of me whilst I drive my daughter back from Boston on the 18th......:eek:

rover67
07-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Alright folks, we met with Maribeth this weekend and had a great time and got some details ironed out, I revised my post to list what we'll be doing up there.

euroford
07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
If ya'll can handle having flatty around, i'd love to tag along and pitch in.

AxleIke
07-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm going to try to make this. Should be good at this point.

And flatty's are way cool! :thumb:

nattybumppo
07-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Love those flatties!

I will be working that day so for me its a no go.

Uncle Ben
07-23-2012, 04:56 PM
If ya'll can handle having flatty around, i'd love to tag along and pitch in.

Flatty's cool but I've heard Tim has bad habits! :D

euroford
07-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Flatty's cool but I've heard Tim has bad habits! :D

he chews too much kodiak, and has to watch his language around children, but he ain't so bad :p:

JadeRunner
08-01-2012, 03:53 PM
We need someone to lead this run and be on point with the FS. Matt and Marco won't be able to make this one.

I will organize and bring a taco bar like I did for the Argentine run but will need to take off early afternoon.

60wag
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
I'll contact Maribeth to coordinate with the FS.

JadeRunner
08-01-2012, 04:35 PM
That's great. Thanks Bruce.

euroford
08-01-2012, 04:37 PM
OOPS :(

I'm out... my wife went through and updated our August calender, and we have already committed that day to volunteer for the Colorado 14er's Initiative for trailwork up on Mount Bierstadt.

I'd like to make it next time, clearly i'm a sucker for trailwork :D

60wag
08-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey, Saturday the 18th is coming up soon. The Forest Service is planning to have a decent size crew spread out doing work along the Rollins Pass Road as well as Jenny Creek. There are a number of tasks that need to be completed. A lot of the Jenny creek work involves sign work in addition to the post 'n cable maintenance.

On Friday, I am hoping to snag the large camp site just below the entrance to JC off of Rollins Pass Road. This will make it easier to coordinate the work on Saturday morning and give us more space than the sites up at the top. There should be plenty of room for all who want to camp and support on one of the BEST trails in the area. AFAIK, OHV stickers are not yet required. That may change next year. Let me know if you want to attend and if you are interested in camping Friday night.

Also, if someone wanted to get up there early on Friday to claim the camp site, that'd be great.

60wag
08-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Lunch will be provided on Saturday - taco bar!

rover67
08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Updated my post on first page to show who will be there.

Kenon698
08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I am going to be there Saturday.

60wag
08-11-2012, 05:21 PM
So who is up for camping on Friday night?

It's a new moon, so there should be some great stars if it's clear.

simps80
08-11-2012, 05:37 PM
So who is up for camping on Friday night?

It's a new moon, so there should be some great stars if it's clear.

how much room is in that camp site?
I am planning on bringing 1 maybe 2 friends (possibly in their own toyotas, but more likely all of us in my 80) that are interested in the club and are wanting to go on the cleanup run, we will be camping Friday but not sure where yet.

60wag
08-11-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm hoping to get the site near the entrance to Jenny Creek. It's got a red circle near the 149 label on the map below. Plan B, if we can't get that site, is up closer to the end of the trail near Yankee Doodle Lake. The lower site is huge and can accommodate a lot of people. The upper sites are smaller but there are a number of them so there should be room.

DanS
08-11-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm going to tentatively plan on being there.

What tools/equipment should we plan on bringing?

I will most likely be in a truck that shouldn't do the full jenny creek trail, but I am happy to ride with someone or stay put at the top or the bottom and work.

Dan

Fishy
08-11-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm trying my best to be there. Working on getting a day shift on Friday and making it out there Friday afternoon, heading home Saturday night for work again Sunday morning.

Uncle Ben
08-11-2012, 11:18 PM
I am planning on camping Friday night. I will try to get up there as early as I can.

MountainGoat
08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
I am in. I will be doing trail work and the family will be along strictly for recreation. :D

60wag
08-13-2012, 07:35 AM
It looks like about 15ish people from the club for lunch on Sat. Scott Y is the only one I know that is coming that hasn't yet posted up. We might have some FS personnel joining us for tacos as well.

I haven't gotten a work start time yet from Maribeth but will post as soon as I hear from her.

Also, the fire ban has been lifted so for the folkes camping, we'll be able to have a nice toasty fire.

As for tools, The FS provides what we'll need for driving carsonites and pushing dirt. Bring some gloves, sturdy boots, sun screen and a water bottle.

Jacket
08-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Looks like my Saturday got freed up so I'll be coming up. Friday night camping is TBD.

60wag
08-14-2012, 05:39 AM
The Forest Service is concerned about safety hazards due to the large number of dead trees and the risk of falling trees. Below is a link to a training video that they want all volunteer workers to view. They will provide hard hats during the work project.

http://www.wlrv.org/community/leader-resources.html

I'm still trying to get a confirmation from Maribeth on a start time but tentatively, let's meet at the lower campsite (near 149 on the map above) at 9:00a on Saturday.

Uncle Ben
08-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks Bruce! Scott, what do you need for the taco bar? I was thinking I would bring my large screen in enclosure (hopeful fly reduction apparatus) and a 6" folding table. Does that sound wise el comadante?

AxleIke
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm out. Wife has other plans.

euroford
08-14-2012, 01:29 PM
unless something comes up (again! ahk!!) i'm back in for Saturday, perhaps to camp friday as well. do we have a meetup time/location for saturday?

very little cargo room in a 3a, so i'll be bringing some well worn trail gloves and an absurdly over enthusiastic work ethic.

JadeRunner
08-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks Bruce! Scott, what do you need for the taco bar? I was thinking I would bring my large screen in enclosure (hopeful fly reduction apparatus) and a 6" folding table. Does that sound wise el comadante?

Sounds good. Cutting the wind is key. The meat will need to be heated. It comes with two can burners (forgot what they are called). They could have heated things up last time with the dual water pan thing if the wind on Argentine was blowing. We had to dump the meat into a fry pan last time and use another burner. I will bring a pan and stove in case we need to do that again.

Any idea at this point where we will want to set up lunch at?

Now I just need a head count including any FS people we want to include. The bar cost 10.00 per person and I have a 200.00 budget I believe.

Uncle Ben
08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Sounds good. Cutting the wind is key. The meat will need to be heated. It comes with two can burners (forgot what they are called). They could have heated things up last time with the dual water pan thing if the wind on Argentine was blowing. We had to dump the meat into a fry pan last time and use another burner. I will bring a pan and stove in case we need to do that again.

Any idea at this point where we will want to set up lunch at?

Now I just need a head count including any FS people we want to include. The bar cost 10.00 per person and I have a 200.00 budget I believe.

I think Bruce already suggested and showed on the map that Saturdays meet up place was the lower campground. We (myself and RS crew) will be all over JC and the BRD group will be focused near the lower campground. That seems like a logical place to set up the food. I ask what to bring as I will be in my 40 for rapid and agile trail use so I do not want to pack more stuff than is needed. I will help where ever I am needed. Sounds like 20 people will get fed.

rover67
08-15-2012, 02:32 PM
OK, as suspected I am def. an out for this one.

Sorry guys..

Rzeppa
08-15-2012, 09:02 PM
As I said at the meeting, I am planning on attending this. I just read every post in this thread and am still looking for where and when to meet for those of us not camping Friday night. I helped with the post and cable project so I know where that part is, but I would like to run this trail and help with the work.

For the work we are planning to do on Saturday, which would be the most appropriate? Shorty FJ40, FJ45 pickup or FJ60 wagon? All are available to me. I read that the FS provides hand tools we might need, and that we should bring work gloves, and that Scott will be providing lunch via the tiki bar. Other than the usual stuff we normally take 4 wheeling, what else should I bring?

Lastly, and this is key to persuading Linda :Princess: to come, when will we be done and able to head home?

60wag
08-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Saturday Meeting place and time:

9:00am at the campsite just below the trail entrance off of Rollins Pass Road. It's the red circle like mark near the 149 on the map. I hope to set up lunch at the campsite as well. If for some reason we don't get that site and end up camping near Yankee Doodle Lake, then meet up at the kiosk next to the lake. Yea, it takes a while to drive up to the lake but starting after 9 won't be a problem.

Bring any truck that you want to drive. We will be picking up trash so maybe a pickup truck would be good but based on recent trips up there, the amount of trash to collect should be minimal. If you want to bring a shovel, that might come in handy.

I still haven't heard back from the FS but that shouldn't alter the plan.

I don't know what time we will be finished. I do know that some folkes have other commitments and have to leave early. I expect the bulk of the work will be completed before lunch.

Uncle Ben
08-16-2012, 07:03 AM
I will drop by BRD today and see if I can get an estimate of rangers that will be there.

JadeRunner
08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Oleg says my Runner will be ready tomorrow with a new clutch so that's good.

Steak taco bar for 20 people is set. It will put us a little over the 200.00 budget with tax and tip but I can make the call to cover that.

See you at the lower campsite at 9am.

art hog
08-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Im free on Saturday, So I'll there.

Uncle Ben
08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Oleg says my Runner will be ready tomorrow with a new clutch so that's good.

Steak taco bar for 20 people is set. It will put us a little over the 200.00 budget with tax and tip but I can make the call to cover that.

See you at the lower campsite at 9am.

We have water? I can swing by costco tomorrow and grab a couple cases.

Rzeppa
08-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Saturday Meeting place and time:

9:00am at the campsite just below the trail entrance off of Rollins Pass Road. It's the red circle like mark near the 149 on the map. I hope to set up lunch at the campsite as well. If for some reason we don't get that site and end up camping near Yankee Doodle Lake, then meet up at the kiosk next to the lake. Yea, it takes a while to drive up to the lake but starting after 9 won't be a problem.

Bring any truck that you want to drive. We will be picking up trash so maybe a pickup truck would be good but based on recent trips up there, the amount of trash to collect should be minimal. If you want to bring a shovel, that might come in handy.

I still haven't heard back from the FS but that shouldn't alter the plan.

I don't know what time we will be finished. I do know that some folkes have other commitments and have to leave early. I expect the bulk of the work will be completed before lunch.

Thanks so much Bruce! That's really helpful. I assume CB 4, right?

JadeRunner
08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Good call. I will have a medium size water jug and some cups. But, could use more.

We have water? I can swing by costco tomorrow and grab a couple cases.

Rezarf
08-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm hopeful to make this on Saturday.

Uncle Ben
08-16-2012, 10:15 PM
So do we need anything else?

corsair23
08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
So do we need anything else?

Yeah, me!! Alas, I'm still without a truck :(...And I'll be down in the Springs for a soccer tournament even if I had something capable. I was REALLY looking forward to making this run...I have still never been on the trail. Sorry that I won't be able to support the club this weekend but thanks to all those that are stepping up!!

Rezarf
08-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry friends, we had a previous engagement I didn't remember till my lovely :Princess: reminded me this evening.

Have fun!:thumb:

JadeRunner
08-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Well I got my Runner back from Oleg today. I picked up the food and was going to put my front skid back on and see that I have gear oil leaking from a transfer case somewhere. I don't want to chance taking my rig. I will have to take my Suzuki SX4 with the food and stuff.

I will have a handheld ham and will need to radio for someone to pick me and my passenger up near the meeting place in the morning. Hopefully that will all work out.

Fishy
08-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Must be the week of broken stuff. I'm out of commision for a few days. :( I won't be able to make it tomorrow.