PDA

View Full Version : What Would Jesus Do?

gr8fulabe
07-11-2012, 12:34 AM
If I were Jesus & I was following your advice? Long story short, I've got too many projects & not enough time or money to ever seem to make any real progress on any of them. And now we need to generate some cash (wife's regular car crapped out the other day). So, I'm thinking of selling one of my 40 projects to make things easier & raise some cash.

But, which one, why, and what is a fair price for it? What would you do?

I've got:
1. 76 40, originally Mustard, but repainted spray can camo on the outside, & I then repainted spray can white. Inside is still yellow. As with all of them, it has rust in the rear quarters, sill, etc... so it would ultimately need body work to finish the job. It has an 84 2F in it, with newly done head (Gunn Machine), new rear main, etc... & was just mated to an H55F (new Aisin cluth/pressure plate/bearings upon mating). I've mounted the engine/tranny into the truck, but nothing is wired or plumbed, and the drive shafts need to be changed over. Lots of little odds & ends to be done as well to finish that deal. Its got a spectacular set of doors from an Olive 77 40, and I also have an OEM soft top frame for it & a soft top that fits it (which one would depend on a lot, but old Kayline/STC or OEM replica, just depends on what the buyer wanted & was willing to pay for, etc... Needs work, but I have a lot of cash into it already at the same time. Seats are like they all seem to be, passenger is basically mint, driver's side has a split seam or two & would need to be recovered for a resto.

2. 74 40, OEM Soft top Model, with PTO winch & oem soft doors installed. This one has the stock 4speed, f.5 as they call it. Head was just done at MHP, to include Chevy valves & all that. I'm still hoping to actually do the in-truck ring job that Randy suggested a while back, but I can't do that myself, so that depends on a lot of stuff. Body is in really rusty shape, but I have another 74 tub in pretty solid shape that i was going to do a few things too, sandblast/paint & swap on for the resto. Seats are in really bad shape (frames are rusty & I think scrap), so eventually would need new seats. Has an 87 large cap dizzy & dented side cover, Offenhauser intake/Holley carb & header exhaust (eissions exempt is a big bonus here). Could be a really sweet soft top 40 one day & they are rare as an original. Probably other stuff too, but I can't think of it all now.

I also have some other odds & ends (Dashman Dash Box, or really nice OEM dash pad, etc...) that I would be selling too, depending on the deal of which truck, & what all was wanted, or not wanted, & that type of stuff. I can add some pics to this thread tomorrow to at least help clarify what the trucks are like. Both are projects, but both have a lot of goods parts & bad parts, and I've spent too much cash on either one, without ever moving forward on either one very quickly either, so I'm feeling like now is the best time to pull the bandaid off...

So what would you do if you were me, and why would you sell one versus the other. Lastly, like I said, knowing that both are projects to some extent, what would you consider a fair price for either (even just a ballpark guess would be helpful)?

Thanks,
Abe

corsair23
07-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Hmmmm...

If I needed the cash then I'd put them BOTH up for sale for whatever price you would be willing to sell them for...Obviously if you put either one up for sale for $1K they'd go quickly. But if you need to get $5K or more out of one of them say, then that is your driving force. Maybe if you post up some pictures people could give you a better idea of what they might pay for each rig.

Whichever one doesn't sell first is the one I would keep and finish off. Personally, the '76 sounds really nice with some nice mods but the '74 would be easier IMO in that you pass emissions once and then register it as a Collector vehicle.

nattybumppo
07-11-2012, 02:39 AM
I would keep the 76. You will never get even close to your money out of it unless you finish it up, but it will be one helluva rig when you do. It also sounds like you are not all that far off if you can de-clutter your life (and garage) and focus on it as your sole project.

The 74 sounds like a good project for someone else and it sounds like you don't have as much money in it yet, so you won't take as big a hit selling it as an unfinished project. Also, it has the big advantage for a new buyer that he would not have to get it to pass emissions. Not even once, since the law now allows collector plates for a 75 of earlier without even getting it to pass the first time. Just register it and you're good to go.

Price, man, I think we would have to see them to have any idea, but I think an un-finished, non-running rig will take a big hit, even if it has great potential...

J Kimmel
07-11-2012, 09:23 AM
If you were Jesus you would simply give them to a needier member of your flock

subzali
07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Don't you have a 45 too?

TIMZTOY
07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I would take a photo where you can see both rigs fairlly easily. And good shots of them. And then post it for sale but leave the color's out of the add.
That will bring in more ppl because they will see what you have.
If you list only the yellow one. Someone might be wanting to buy your other rig but will never know you had it, Because they didnt know it was there.
Kind of a "everything is for sale, at the right price" deal and because it wasn't listed you can ask a higher price.

Rezarf
07-11-2012, 10:04 AM
I agree, get it down to one project. Or bail on the projects and try to regain a little sanity (I know that a project for me can be a part of gaining sanity ;) ) in you life. Projects should be fun and not add to the stresses of life (time, money, marriage relationship, time with kids etc.).

That said I would keep the one YOU like the most, keep the parts you want the most, and liquidate the rest to raise the quick cash you need. You'll get closer to your short term and long term projects that way.

I also, can't see how the title of your thread has anything to do with your decision... everyone knows the Lord would be driving a 45 troopy with enough seats for the disciples.

Red_Chili
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
If you were Jesus you would simply give them to a needier member of your flock
Hmmm... I think if he were Jesus he would own nothing, and give his life for the life of the world.

That doesn't seem to be on his list of alternatives.

The question is... what will Abe do?

SteveH
07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I agree that those are two big projects needing lots of time/money.

I'd keep the '76. If you sell the older one to a non-club-member, I wouldn't throw in too many 'freebies' as they often don't make the buyer much more interested. If they are relevent and useful for that particular truck, then you might include them - I just see too many people 'throw in' a bunch of stuff they could have sold separately and gotten more $$ for it.

An FST sounds interesting to me - can you post pictures?

loudbay
07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey Abe, I didn't know you were all crazy too... (I think) I'm looking for a 40 body swap project, as I have access to rolling 80 chassis, and my 60 has a drivetrain I love, but I don't love the 60 body, so I'm thinking of building a 80/60/40 combo. I'm actually waiting for a call back from the wonderful lady at the registration office as I type this.

So what about parting with the extra tub? Does that narrow down your decisions at all?

J Kimmel
07-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Hmmm... I think if he were Jesus he would own nothing, and give his life for the life of the world.

That doesn't seem to be on his list of alternatives.

The question is... what will Abe do?

ah touche

gr8fulabe
07-11-2012, 11:47 PM
a few pics of the trucks (not great, but I could supply better if need be) & some more details/answers to comments after that. First some pics of the 74& the extra 74 tub...
Best,
Abe

gr8fulabe
07-11-2012, 11:53 PM
A few pics of the 76/hard top. No great pics on this computer, as it is i a friend's garage now, but i have some on the other. My friend is moving, so I have to pull this back to the house, which is another reason I 'm considering unloading. No garage & can only work on nice, summer days/weekends really as a result. Just one bad pic of the truck, after the hood went back on, and a few of when we put the engine/tranny into it.
Best,
Abe

gr8fulabe
07-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Hi all,
I think the answer is red. I'll be keeping the 76 (owned it for 12 years so it is sentimental, among other things) and selling the red 74 (soft top one).

If anyone might be interested in it, you can hit me up via pm now, or you can wait until I get a formal ad going in the for sale section.

Thanks for all the advice!
Best
Abe

nattybumppo
07-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Nice. Decision made...that always feels good. So if you want to keep the OEM seats in the 76, I have the upholstery guy for you. He will fix up that driver's side one cheap and good. Let me know when you are ready for Monte's number and location. He did both the seats in my 40 and they are like new.

subzali
07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
I'll have to check out your seas at a club meeting sometime Sascha...but I'm definitely thinking heated seats next time! :guapo: