PDA

View Full Version : Re-Title and CSP VIN Inspeciton

loudbay
07-11-2012, 03:25 PM
So who's had to go through this for a body swap or a 'parts-build'?

I've had a few good conversations with a very helpful lady from the DMV. After a bunch of 'research' on her end she said, take any and all precautions to document the tear down of original vehicle with title (fj80); save the original dash for the inspection date; install whatever body parts I want (fj40 random parts); get a bill of sale for any parts that have VINs stamped to them to help persuade the CSPman to not require bonding the vehicle; and presto chango... they fill out paperwork for a new Colorado assigned VIN and new title.

That almost sounds too easy.

I called the CSP, and the not-so-helpful young woman there said, go to the DMV and get the paperwork for re-titling a vehicle, click.

Helpful lady at DMV didn't mention this packet, but I bet she just didn't know about it.

Has anyone else been through this? Does this sound right? Was the CSP inspector helpful and understanding (I realize that's a long shot)? Anyone been required to bond? What does that entail? Any tips?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
Matt

Corbet
07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
I've not done it on a body swap but a few times for lost title.

Its not that big of a deal IMO. Bonding is just more paperwork and a check. VIN inspection can be done by a licensed dealer too generally. I've never had any issue with the CSP in Avon doing it for me and of course for a while I could just sign my own form :D

Forgive me for know knowing but what have you built? If its a 40 on a 80 series frame? Then why not just title it as the 40? VIN plate on dash/door/engine bay and call it done. I've never seen anyone check for a VIN on a frame rail.

nuclearlemon
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
for a body swap, you don't have to do anything. the title goes with the frame. just drill out the rivets on the old tubs vin plate and re rivet onto new body.

Uncle Ben
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
for a body swap, you don't have to do anything. the title goes with the frame. just drill out the rivets on the old tubs vin plate and re rivet onto new body.

Not a good thing to post up on a public site as removing a vin plate is very illegal! I know this first hand! It can be done but only by a bonded body shop with full documentation. If it does happen by little elves during the night without your knowledge that usually will slide through. :rolleyes:

loudbay
07-11-2012, 05:25 PM
80 chassis w/ title. 60 drivetrain from my rust bucket. 40 body yet to be purchased, but probably won't have a title... Hopefully, but probably not.

Maybe holding out for a 40 bulkhead with title is the smartest thing to do... I really would rather skip the bonded title step...

Cheers,
m.

Corbet
07-11-2012, 09:51 PM
A title for the 40 is not that important. You can just apply for lost title and get a new one. It takes a few weeks but not a big deal. Personally it just seems easiest to use the vin of the body as thats the one easily visible and identifiable on the surface. What are you going to do with the VIN of an 80 series frame. Rivet it on the dash of the 40?

I can't speak for how the state views it, but a 40 bodied rig seems like its still a 40 regardless of drivetrain or the frame under it. Gary might have a better idea as he has built a number of "combined" vehicles in the past.

nuclearlemon
07-11-2012, 10:20 PM
A title for the 40 is not that important. You can just apply for lost title and get a new one. It takes a few weeks but not a big deal. Personally it just seems easiest to use the vin of the body as thats the one easily visible and identifiable on the surface. What are you going to do with the VIN of an 80 series frame. Rivet it on the dash of the 40?

I can't speak for how the state views it, but a 40 bodied rig seems like its still a 40 regardless of drivetrain or the frame under it. Gary might have a better idea as he has built a number of "combined" vehicles in the past.

except gary's 45 isn't registered in colorado. it's registered in montana. in colorado, the title will be based off the frame number, which means it will be an fj80 and will have to match those standards for dot and emissions.

Corbet
07-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Ige, not saying your wrong but I could not find anything on the state web site that stated the frame dictated the VIN/title. Do you know what form refers to that rule?

loudbay
07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm under the impression if I have a 40 title for the body, I could call it a 40, who would know the dif? Without a 40 title, the CSP would issue a new VIN, and they actually stamp it on the vehicle in a CSP friendly spot. They wouldn't say where, and they said to leave the 40 VIN plate intact... Maybe its just a sticker for the door jam...

Again, I think an entire 40 w title, or a bulkhead w title seems easier...

loudbay
07-12-2012, 09:30 AM
They also wouldn't say if CO was frame or body based, CSP lady went straight to builder's title when I asked...

loudbay
07-12-2012, 09:36 AM
What are the mini truck guys doing? Ive read slot about 1st gen body swaps. Keeping the dash? Swapping vinplates?