PDA

View Full Version : Mtb & Jc

subzali
07-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Sunday I got a hall pass to get out once more before the baby comes. I haven't been up to Buffalo Creek yet this season (fat and outta shape) and I haven't been up to Jenny Creek since early this spring.

So I'm thinking of a BC/JC day: Get a 8:30-9:00 am start at Buffalo Creek, have lunch in Conifer/Evergreen, then head over to JC via the Peak-to-Peak and check it out.

It'll be a long day but should be worth it.

DaveInDenver
07-12-2012, 09:52 AM
On a MTB? Yeah, no thanks. Way too many paved miles and you have to go through Black Hawk. They can go pound sand with their anti-bike rules. Where are you thinking of starting and finishing anyway? I think a better long day for Buff Creek is Waterton or Indian Creek out and back. I'd be in for a ride Sunday, pretty sure I don't have anything that would interfere.

subzali
07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
No Dave :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant mtb Buffalo Creek (Charlie's Cutoff loop).

Then drive the (in my case) FJ40 back to Conifer for lunch, then drive up to Jenny Creek and use the Land Cruiser to tackle the trail. Only a couple-hour mtb ride, the rest is in the truck.

To everybody - we need some presence up at JC - check it out:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=214890#post214890

DaveInDenver
07-13-2012, 05:42 AM
LOL! I'm a little behind in prep for Laramie in a couple of weeks so my mind thinks of longer rides. We can get in 4 or 5 hours just at Buffalo Creek. Not so sure I want to ride-drive-ride, though I'm basically definite for a ride Sunday.

subzali
07-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Well if anyone wants to come they don't have to do both - I'm just doing both. But anyone up for a mtb ride can do the mtb ride at buffalo creek, then anyone who wants to run jenny creek in the truck can meet me up there early afternoon and we can do that.

Anyone interested in the jenny creek part?

DaveInDenver
07-13-2012, 07:12 AM
What about just doing a long ride centered about Rollinsville? I think the afternoon storms are going to come into play, so we could just start early and put down some dirt road miles getting to and from Jenny Creek. Then lunch and cocktails after. I dig what you're saying, but if we stop in Conifer after BC, it's not gonna be easy to get moving again. :-)

subzali
07-13-2012, 08:01 AM
well seeing as it's been over a month since I've ridden at all, I'm not sure I want to push it and I'm more comfortable with a ride I've already done.

And then, being the Land Use Coordinator and seeing all the activity and requests for projects to be performed up on Jenny Creek/East Portal Road, I feel like I really need to make an effort to get up there and check things out.

Matt Glass is going to be posting up about an education event that I think will happen tomorrow 7/14 with Stay the Trail. So for those of you that aren't excited about Sunday, think about this one.

DaveInDenver
07-14-2012, 03:54 PM
So what is the consensus? I'll ride either Buff Creek or Jenny Creek, but don't really want to drive in the middle. How about 8:30 at the USFS 543 lot, we can go as long as a few hours without too much trouble. If you want to split off early I don't mind just turning laps solo.

subzali
07-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Sounds good Dave, I can be there and ready to ride by 9 I think.

DaveInDenver
07-15-2012, 06:56 AM
OK, see you there. The parking lot is up 543, so coming down 126 turn west on 543 just before you see the USFS work station. It's only about 100 yards up 543.

subzali
07-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Well, Dave and I had a good ride at Buffalo Creek this morning. After a quick stop at the Sonic in Conifer to fuel up, I headed up the Peak-to-Peak highway to Jenny Creek.

Got denied on the obstacle after the water crossing. I could have gone around to the right but I figured I had my three strikes and I was by myself so didn't want to push it. Didn't see any shinanigans or evidence of shenanigans, so I don't know what's being reported...

I did get a chance to explore the stuff below the creek crossing to the right, more exploring is necessary...

Met Maribeth and another ranger who were patrolling for fires.

Oh, and I need to build a contraption like Uncle Ben has in order to manage the potholes and rocks on Rollins Pass road :rant: :mad:

rover67
07-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Did you talk to maribeth about the f250? was it still up there?

subzali
07-16-2012, 07:55 AM
I don't think it's still up there. I talked to a bunch of people and they didn't mention it, and they had driven the whole trail. I also figured that I would drive past it, but I ran out of time and turned around at the creek crossing.

I have some pictures I need to send her this morning anyway, so I'll email her about it.