PDA

View Full Version : Truck registration questions/worries????

matte
07-27-2006, 09:08 PM
I just moved to the land of emissions with my '76 desmoged cruiser. I need to register it soon and was wondering what to expect when I take it in.
Please tell me that since it is a collector vehicle vintage and that I won't run into much trouble.
thanks
matt

nuclearlemon
07-27-2006, 09:35 PM
i'd love to tell you that, but, unfortunately, that is why the nuclearlemon is no longer around. passed the sniffer with flying colors, but failed visual.

Rezarf
07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Welcome Matt-

I just got my desmogged 76 fj40 through a few months ago. I would recommend you go to the Boulder emmisions inspectors. Like it is now, I went at the end of a month and they were so slammed they didn't even bother to open my hood.

I failed the test, just barely, and I then took my truck to a Conoco Garage on Broadway and Canyon (I think, maybe it was Arapahoe) it was on the NE Corner. 40 bucks and they could verify that it would pass because they use the same equipment.

Went back through the same day... and passed:thumb:

Then cough up the bucks for the vintage plates and no emmisions ever again!

If you get in a jam, I have a bunch of smog equip on my shelf you can borrow to get through.

Go for it, make sure to do it while it is late in the month, the lines will suck, but it may work to your advantage.

Welcome to town!:D

Drew

subzali
07-27-2006, 11:27 PM
I also have a dead smog pump that you can use to pass the visual...don't keep it on too long though it might freeze up. If they see the smog pump and the air rail then they should be happy. I know mine wasn't that big of a deal and there wasn't much happening at the place I went to.

corsair23
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Hmmmm...

I've found that most of the 'kids' that work at the emissions testing places don't know squat about a 30+ year old vehicle. I didn't have any issues with my '74 last year nor my '76 back in '02. I go to the testing place just south of County Line Rd on Colorado Blvd down in Littleton.

Take it in and just see what happens...:cool:

MDH33
07-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Hmmmm...

I've found that most of the 'kids' that work at the emissions testing places don't know squat about a 30+ year old vehicle. I didn't have any issues with my '74 last year nor my '76 back in '02. I go to the testing place just south of County Line Rd on Colorado Blvd down in Littleton.

Take it in and just see what happens...:cool:

I agree. I recently picked up a 73 FJ40 that has a desmogged 77 2F in it. One of the stipulations for the purchase was that it passed emissions. The PO took it to the Boulder sniffer and it passed. Also, they opened the hood, but as mentioned, I don't think they knew what to look for in there. It passed and the PO said the kid running the sniffer said the engine was "tight". :thumb: I got the collector plates and I'm done with emmisions.