PDA

View Full Version : Where to wheel near Glenwood Springs?

kpudden
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
I left my trails book back in NM, so i need some advice on what is around the Summit County area to wheel. I am very familiar with the Central and Southern trails, but not at all with the northern part of the state. 35's w/lockers and sliders, so i should be capable for most plays.

Thanks in advance :beer:

corsair23
07-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Not sure about right around Glenwood but relatively close by (Carbondale, Marble, Aspen) are some...In no particular order are:

Schofield Pass & Devil's Punchbowl (Crystal Mill)
Lead King Basin
Kebler & Ohio Pass
Taylor Pass

The first two are probably what you are looking for difficulty wise

kpudden
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks i may give the first two a shot...i have done Taylor a dozen times in as many vehicles...taking a lady freind out for her first time, gotta be careful its not the last so i may be conservative this go-around.;)

corsair23
07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Maybe run Lead King Basin and see the Crystal Mill then and leave Schofield for another time.

Sadly, I've only run a small portion of Lead King Basin and never made it to the mill.

ttubb
07-19-2012, 02:05 PM
When are you planning to go and where? Terry

kpudden
07-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Terry...i am still trying to decide where. Staying in condo in Georgetown....looking to play Saturday for most of the day. Would be sweet to ge:beer:t group together

ttubb
07-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Terry...i am still trying to decide where. Staying in condo in Georgetown....looking to play Saturday for most of the day. Would be sweet to ge:beer:t group together

Post up when you decide. I may be able to break loose. Still trying to recover from driving to Slees and back yesterday (9 hours R/T plus 9 hrs wait/install time). T

corsair23
07-19-2012, 02:50 PM

You are staying in Georgetown but want to go wheeling over by Glenwood? There are a lot of trails a lot closer to Georgetown :)

84cruzer
07-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Transfer Trail, Grizzly Jeep Trail, Little Box Canyon.... Fun easy scenic trails. When are you going to be in the area?

kpudden
07-20-2012, 10:58 AM
You are staying in Georgetown but want to go wheeling over by Glenwood? There are a lot of trails a lot closer to Georgetown :)

Plans changed...so i don't plan on going further West unless i have to. Feeling prettty lucky the condo i am staying in GT had a "4 Wheel Drive Roads" book sitting on the table :D

Today, i may head out to Waldorf ? around the back side of MT Evans and do some exploring...looks to be a moderate difficulty trail.

Tomorrow, Kingston Peak and/or Bill Moor Lake...this are rated as difficult in this book, but i am thinking they are within the capabilities of a built 80.

Call me at 303-927-9234 me if you can make it either day...i might be up for a close-by run tonight as well. Looking forward to a beautiful weekend :cheers:

Red_Chili
07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Great choices for trails.

Great to choose easy so as to not overwhelm her too! I didn't... Cruise Moab was a bit much, now I am try to choke it back a bit to leave a good taste in her memory for more.

corsair23
07-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Tomorrow, Kingston Peak and/or Bill Moor Lake...this are rated as difficult in this book, but i am thinking they are within the capabilities of a built 80.

You won't have any problems with those...

Go here: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Then do a search for Kingston Peak and Bill Moore. The first two current links are for Kingston Peak runs just done last weekend. I've run both trails. Kingston Peak in my 40 and Bill Moore in my 80 and I wouldn't classify either as difficult really...Not for a build rig anyway

Hulk
07-31-2012, 02:08 AM
For many years, Rising Sun's adopted trail was Deadman's Creek that led to the Hubbard Cave. We would typically run the trail in June, clean up all the trash and clear the trail. Usually we'd camp at the end in a big field near the cave. It was always a great trip.

Some of the trail may be closed now. I just read about an emergency trail closure (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5322696.pdf) to protect bats from White-nose syndrome.

Here's a description of the trail and cave:

Hubbard Cave, located along the south rim of Glenwood Canyon east of Glenwood Springs, is another popular undeveloped White River National Forest cave. Reached by a challenging four wheel drive road leads about seven miles to the Deadmanís Creek trailhead to the cave, Hubbard Cave receives less visitation than either Fulford or Spring Cave. The access road is narrow and steep, and can be impassable in rainy or snowy weather.

At Hubbard Cave, a series of large, parallel walking passages provide easy access to much of the known cave, making it an ideal destination for novice cavers and children. A low, tight squeeze in the back of the cave leads to the Grape Room and beyond, the Gypsum Room, the largest known chamber in Hubbard Cave.

source (http://www.coloradocaves.org/?p=369)

Here are some directions (http://www.bigdaddymaps.com/Colorado%20Directions%20and%20Information/Hubbard%20Cave%20Driving%20Directions.pdf).