PDA

View Full Version : 2012 40's Only Run!

MDH33
07-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Due to lack of interest and some unplanned knee surgery, the 40's Only Run is postponed until further notice. Thanks.

kurtnkegger
07-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Would we need to make reservations for camping??

MDH33
07-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Would we need to make reservations for camping??

There is a first come first serve loop in the campground, and also a loop for reserved sites:

Recreation.gov and search for pinyon flats.

There is a group site available too if there's enough interest.
:thumb:

treerootCO
07-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Do you know if there is cell reception on Medano?

MDH33
07-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Do you know if there is cell reception on Medano?

Not sure, Mike. But I have had pretty consistent coverage in the Sangre's this summer.

nattybumppo
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
No cell coverage on Verizon.

Sounds like a great rrip. Medano is beautiful, but too far away for me. I unfortunately won't be able to make this one. Have fun

FJ40zen
08-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Great group of pictures. I remember the last two 40 runs. Unfortunately I will not be able to join you guys this time Martin.

Have a good time!

:cool:

CardinalFJ60
08-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm with the in-laws that weekend...totally blows since I think I'll have a fancy-schmancy header and other repairs done by then. I'll have to commit to next year.

MDH33
08-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Sorry you all can't make it.

Am I the only one who drives their 40 more than 3 hours from home? :confused: :hill:

Should be a fun trip, so I hope I'm not running it solo, but if so, maybe I'll camp an extra night and run another trail too. :thumb:

Here's a couple of weeks ago in the Sangre's looking East toward the Spanish Peaks. Quite a bit further South than Medano. Rainy, so not a great photo day.

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/i-z2BbfLd/0/M/i-z2BbfLd-M.jpg

Uncle Ben
08-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Dates don't work for me. :(

FJBRADY
08-13-2012, 08:37 AM
I am out this year.:(

MountainGoat
08-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Am I the only one who drives their 40 more than 3 hours from home?

Don't count me out dude. :hill: If we can caravan there's a good chance I'll throw caution to the wind and join you in my old iron. :zilla:

Old40Dog
08-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Would love to! Unfortunately, the date doesn't work for me this year.

rover67
08-13-2012, 01:39 PM
yeah the date doesn't work for me either.

Sorry dude... have fun though. it'll be the first one I've missed in a little while.

subzali
08-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Here's a couple of weeks ago in the Sangre's looking East toward the Spanish Peaks. Quite a bit further South than Medano. Rainy, so not a great photo day.

Is that up by those bear lakes/cub lakes? I forget exactly what they're called, but I rode my KTM up that forest road in my shorts, t-shirt and chacos with no helmet :hill:

Rzeppa
08-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately I am committed to my annual Kittredge Civic Association Canyonfest on the 8th. I did get my 40 running yesterday, drove her to work today. And Martin is not the only one who drives more than 3 hours in their 40, I have done that most years to/from Cruise Moab.

Air Randy
08-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Since this is such a popular run, and it looks like a lot of people can't make it due to schedule conflicts or because the trail is quite a distance away, would it be a good idea to re-schedule it at a future date and at a trail that is closer?

MDH33
08-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Since this is such a popular run, and it looks like a lot of people can't make it due to schedule conflicts or because the trail is quite a distance away, would it be a good idea to re-schedule it at a future date and at a trail that is closer?

I'm thinking about it. I'll have to look at dates and see. I'm living down in Southern Colorado for work until fall.

Uncle Ben
08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm thinking about it. I'll have to look at dates and see. I'm living down in Southern Colorado for work until fall.

Medana is a great choice! Maybe an option would be to do it the same time as Dan's Blanca trip. Just a thought. In the yesteryears when the club did annual runs down there we would meet at Pinion flats and some would do Medana while others headed south to Blanca. There is a very nice campground south of the monument that has some tee pee's and cabins available as welll as tent and RV sites. Oasis. (http://www.greatdunes.com/) They also do an ice cream social on Sat night! ;-) When my family was young we loved this trip! Don't forget to take your old snowboard or a flat plastic sled to do some dune shredding in the back bowls!

Old40Dog
08-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Nice idea UB. Unfortunately, Dan's Blanca trip is the Rally weekend, so that doesn't work for a lot of folks either.

TonkaToy
08-15-2012, 04:20 PM
I'd vote for another date and location. I'd do this one but still haven't gotten my package from jimC and I'm not running so good right now!

kurtnkegger
08-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Waiting on the sidelines to see if this is on. I was just about to pull the trigger on making room reservations, and thought I would check the thread before doing so. Keep us posted if the run will go as scheduled or not.

Rezarf
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Checking the dates with the wife... I am scheduled to paint the living room with 16' ceilings but I could really use a long drive in the 40 and a weekend in the dirt. :D I used to like wheeling, I'd like to give it another try ;)

Martin, what are the trails like? Would my trailer be okay or are we talking switchbacks and hairpins? I'd love to wheel down there, always wanted to do the triple by pass but haven't had the chance, this would be a good time for me to escape.

I'll let you know.

Rezarf
08-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Martin, I don't think I'll be able to swing it. Sounds like a great trip to a place I haven't been yet. Thanks for the offer. Hope it works out for you to play that weekend.

Rzeppa
08-17-2012, 01:43 PM

Yes, and yes, for me at least. :thumb:

Rzeppa
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd vote for another date and location. I'd do this one but still haven't gotten my package from jimC and I'm not running so good right now!

Hehehehe...I sent him the carb for my 71 in March and just got it back in July... :rolleyes:

ttubb
08-18-2012, 05:30 PM

Am I the only one who drives their 40 more than 3 hours from home? :confused: :hill:

Every run I do involves 4hrs there and 4hrs back, so I feel your pain!:bowdown:

MDH33
08-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Due to lack of interest and some unplanned knee surgery, the 40's Only Run is postponed until further notice. Thanks.

MountainGoat
08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
That sucks Martin. Hope the knee surgery goes well and we can get our 40s out sometime soon.

Let me know if you need anything dude.

TonkaToy
08-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Yeah Martin, hope it goes well and you are on your feet again soon!

MDH33
09-02-2012, 07:00 AM
That sucks Martin. Hope the knee surgery goes well and we can get our 40s out sometime soon.

Let me know if you need anything dude.

Yeah Martin, hope it goes well and you are on your feet again soon!

Thanks guys!