PDA

View Full Version : Marlin's Inner Axle Seals

Crash
07-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Does anyone stock Marlin's cool inner axle seals in Denver? 60 series to be exact.
Thanks

black95
07-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I have the mini truck version. Not sure if they are the same as the 60 series, but they have to be similar. I used to always think my knuckle leaks were coming from the Birfield grease leaking out, but after installing the Marlin seals, I have been leak free for 5 years or so. As I'm sure you've read, what really happens is the gear oil leaks into the knuckles through the inner seal and makes the knuckle balls leak. I know my axle is slightly tweaked, which probably caused all this in the first place, but I still highly recommend the Marlin seals. The only trouble is, now the knuckles are always dry and rust and pitting start to set in. before they always had a good coating of oil to keep them safe.

rover67
07-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Steve, I wasn't able to find any the last time I did my axle. I called Cruiser Outfitters... Kurt had them here pretty quickly.

Crash
07-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Steve, I wasn't able to find any the last time I did my axle. I called Cruiser Outfitters... Kurt had them here pretty quickly.

Thanks, Marco. That's probably the direction I will head. Kurt's almost local. ;)

nattybumppo
07-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I think I have a spare set somewhere in my garage. You know how that goes...but I'll see if I can find them.

Crash
07-23-2012, 09:31 AM
I think I have a spare set somewhere in my garage. You know how that goes...but I'll see if I can find them.

:lmao:
:bowdown:

Rock Dog
07-23-2012, 10:25 AM
For what it's worth, i will not use the Marlin inner axle seals in my 80 anymore.. the 2 sets or Marlin inner axle seals i tried leak'ed. I have not had any issue since going back to stock (which i got from Kurt).... it is a great idea, but something wrong with it in implementation, because i ended up with milkshakes in both birfs.. twice.. I do not believe that Christo uses them anymore either.... I would use other Marlin seals, and his other stuff is killer, but not the inner axle seals IMHO...

Crash
07-23-2012, 11:24 AM
For what it's worth, i will not use the Marlin inner axle seals in my 80 anymore.. the 2 sets or Marlin inner axle seals i tried leak'ed. I have not had any issue since going back to stock (which i got from Kurt).... it is a great idea, but something wrong with it in implementation, because i ended up with milkshakes in both birfs.. twice.. I do not believe that Christo uses them anymore either.... I would use other Marlin aeals, and his other stuff is killer, but not the inner axle seals IMHO...

I felt the same way regarding Marlin seals in my 80 too. Joe at Christo's has a theory about why they don't work in the 80 so well but I can't remember what it is. In the late 40 and 60 series though, they work great and I will continue to use them in that application.

simps80
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM
For what it's worth, i will not use the Marlin inner axle seals in my 80 anymore.. the 2 sets or Marlin inner axle seals i tried leak'ed. I have not had any issue since going back to stock (which i got from Kurt).... it is a great idea, but something wrong with it in implementation, because i ended up with milkshakes in both birfs.. twice.. I do not believe that Christo uses them anymore either.... I would use other Marlin aeals, and his other stuff is killer, but not the inner axle seals IMHO...

so true
anyone reading this; take it from those of us who learned the hard way,
save yourself from doing it twice, put in OEM seals on 80's

nakman
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
What's the issue? I put one in my 80, but I guess I didn't keep it around long enough to find the bad side effect? :confused:

corsair23
07-23-2012, 12:24 PM
What's the issue? I put one in my 80, but I guess I didn't keep it around long enough to find the bad side effect? :confused:

Yeah, I've got them on the LX and so far so good...It is coming up on 2 years now I think :confused:

I remember reading some not so positive opinions shortly after installing them and thinking :eek:

I was bummed that I bought those and his install tool BEFORE it was figured out that the install tool didn't work for the 80 series seals :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Interesting, I use them in the Chili's rear axles. Had quite an issue with short lived front seals back there. Put Marlin seals in, and voila! no more issues.

(The Front Range full floater kit uses Toyota front axle parts... hence the seals)

They do require some modification to work in my application but that wouldn't affect their effectiveness... if anything, it would degrade it.

nattybumppo
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I will find them for you Tuesday morning Steve.

Rock Dog
07-23-2012, 05:23 PM

they leak (at least they did for me), and let 90 wt into the birf for a gooey mixture of grease and 90wt.. i noticed 90wt leaking past the wiper seals onto the tire when it sat for a week....

i run full synthetic oil in the diff's, so it may have been a factor, but no issues since putting in the OEM inner seals....

Also have a set of them for my 4runner, but have not tried them yet... Sounds like Bill and others have had luck with them on other vehicles..

nuclearlemon
07-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Everything ive heard is that they cause grooving on the 80s because of the full.time 4wd and the fact that the seal will stay constant on the shaft and not have looser spots as the shaft turns

Rock Dog
07-23-2012, 06:01 PM
just did some searching on Mud, and found several posts that talk about this..
The line of thought is that the OEM seals are more flexible and work better on the AWD 80's... The Marlin seals are stiffer, and appear to work well on the 40's and 60's part time applications...

One Quote:
"I like the Marlin type for the earlier rigs, but prefer the flexibility of the stock one on the '80. "

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/505345-front-axle-leaking-after-6k-rebuild.html
entry #7
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/580827-front-axle-rebuild-kits.html
entry #5

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/396682-birf-soup-using-marlin-axle-seals-confused.html
entry #22

Crash
07-23-2012, 07:15 PM
I will find them for you Tuesday morning Steve.

Great, Sasch. Call when it is convenient for you.
:beer:

Inukshuk
07-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Everything ive heard is that they cause grooving on the 80s because of the full.time 4wd and the fact that the seal will stay constant on the shaft and not have looser spots as the shaft turns

x2. Next birf service I will be replacing axles due to the groove. The grooving in the Marlin seal spot is much deeper after far fewer miles than where the OEM seal rode.

Jacket
07-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Bummer. I recently noticed one of mine has a minor leak - a bit of oil on the lower knuckle studs. I rebuilt it a couple of years ago with Marlin seals.

corsair23
07-24-2012, 06:01 PM
x2. Next birf service I will be replacing axles due to the groove. The grooving in the Marlin seal spot is much deeper after far fewer miles than where the OEM seal rode.

Bummer. I recently noticed one of mine has a minor leak - a bit of oil on the lower knuckle studs. I rebuilt it a couple of years ago with Marlin seals.

That will suck if all the 80 owners that put in Marlin seals have to start replacing axles due to excessive grooving :(