PDA

View Full Version : H55 Help

baja1d
07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm nearing the end of my engine/tranny/tansfer case swap and I have issues. Just went to pull the rig out of the garage for the first time in 6 months and something is amiss. When in reverse, if I push the clutch in the rig jolts to a stop- as if I'm hitting the brakes. I thought that maybe my rear drums where over-tightened but the rear wheel spin freely when it up on stands.

Here's the swap info:

1. 1986 2F with H55 and '86 split case
2. Emergency brake "drum" conversion. Just happen to find one!!!
Split case was opened and rear output shafts where swapped to
accomidate the "drum parking brake conversion"
3. H55 was in a running 60 that I drove prior to pulling. Nothing in the H55 was
touched except to install the transfer case.

Any ideas?

nakman
07-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Does it also die if you shift into a forward gear? Or only reverse? just trying to rule out the clutch master or slave...

baja1d
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
It never dies and it doesn't act the same way in foward gears. Basically I'll be backing out of the garage and as soon as I attempt to shift into 1st gear the rig jolts to a stop- Engine is still running and no brakes applied.

rover67
07-26-2012, 03:38 PM
so......

Maybe the shift forks moved around when it was shipped/transported. That happens to new ones all the time and some speculate that it is because they get put on their noses or tails.. Did you verify that the Tranny shifted into neutral before installing it?

You may be looking at pulling the cover off of the tunnel and opening up the top cover to see what's up..

baja1d
07-26-2012, 03:44 PM
No I'd didn't verify neutral. I have neutral now but you're saying the shift fork might be off a bit?

nattybumppo
07-26-2012, 07:45 PM
The only problems I have heard of were due to the neutral mis-alignment issue as Marco said. It seems the install works best when the transmission is in neutral when it is installed, so you may have to open the top cover and jiggle some. No first-hand experience as mine went in smooth as could be.

rover67
07-26-2012, 08:45 PM
yeah, sometimes the shift forks get out of alignment.. not really sure how because it doesn't seem like something like that can happen but it does sometimes.

Anyways, it is fixable by pulling the top cover on the tranny, putting all the gears inn neutral (and disengaging reverse) then sliding the top cover down so all the shift forks fall into their places. this is pretty easy but you gotta kinda work it to get the lever for reverse to slide in right. I actually think it is reverse that falls out but I can't say for sure.

Anyways, it basically acts like the tranny is locked up. when you have it in neutral, it'll act like it's in a gear or will be locked. when you put it in gear it feels like it is locked.

Are those the symptoms?

baja1d
07-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Just for clarification, I do have 5 forward gears working properly & it does operate in reverse. It's only when I push in the clutch or let off the gas that is jolts to a quick stop. I think that this may be related to the parking break drum, like a shoe gets hung up. My plan is to take the parking break shoes out to test my theory.

baja1d
07-26-2012, 10:58 PM
BTW, I did pull the top cover but I didn't have a manual. Visually everything looked good but w/o a manual I couldn't identify a problem. If this doesn't work I'll be sourcing a reference, got pull the cover anyway to reseal the cover.

corsair23
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Just for clarification, I do have 5 forward gears working properly & it does operate in reverse. It's only when I push in the clutch or let off the gas that is jolts to a quick stop. I think that this may be related to the parking break drum, like a shoe gets hung up. My plan is to take the parking break shoes out to test my theory.

My 40 does this :rolleyes: - it has an SM420

I'll be backing out of the garage and when I push in the clutch it will sometimes buck like the parking brake is still engaged. No issues in forward gears. I'm with you that I think my issue is with a shoe getting hung up...

FJBRADY
07-27-2012, 02:17 PM
My 40 does this :rolleyes: - it has an SM420

I'll be backing out of the garage and when I push in the clutch it will sometimes buck like the parking brake is still engaged. No issues in forward gears. I'm with you that I think my issue is with a shoe getting hung up...

I too have a sm420 and never had this problem. My parking break does not work, disengaged. Disengage the pbrake and see if your issue goes away.

Good luck.

rover67
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM

nevermind on the gear stuck thing.... sounds like that's not it.