PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom fever

Overlander
07-30-2012, 03:28 PM
The summer mushroom season is in full swing and that means Boletus Edulis mushrooms - which my family likes to pick. I know many of you go camping or wheeling into the high country and you've probably came across some of the spots that hold them - if you don't mind sharing info about where you see them, then let me know, please. We love picking and eating them.

Our favorite place is about 3 hrs away and I'd like to find something a little closer. Found a bunch this past weekend.

In case you're not familiar with what they look like - here is a couple of pics:
http://sienet.luontonetti.com/en/sivut/boletus_edulis.htm

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/sept98.html

I'd appreciate the tips about where to find more of the goodies.

Thanks!

Romer
07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Boulder :D . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh, did you mean wild or magic?

Overlander
07-30-2012, 03:49 PM

Hehehe - funny. Realy, my friend, all real -

rover67
07-30-2012, 04:41 PM
lot of porchini's up around the Jenny Creek trail. Found several last time I was up there. nice fresh younger ones, not the old wormy ones.

Uncle Ben
07-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Funny thing is I almost posted the same reply! :lmao:

Jacket
07-30-2012, 05:01 PM
nice fresh younger ones, not the old wormy ones.

Just like the town of Boulder by around August 15th or so.... :D

MDH33
07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Seems like a really poor year for mushrooms with the lack of rain early in the season. But, in the past, Bill Moore Lake and the surrounding hiking trails has been a good spot. I haven't seen anything down in Southern Colorado this season, probably due to the drought.

rover67
07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
It has definitely been a slow year, but the recent rain has helped here in the front range and east of the divide.

The Stump in our back yard is even producing oyster mushrooms again.

Must have rained while we were out of town.

Overlander
07-30-2012, 07:31 PM
lot of porchini's up around the Jenny Creek trail. Found several last time I was up there. nice fresh younger ones, not the old wormy ones.

How long ago was that? We maybe asking some members if they wanna tag along with us next weekend.

rover67
07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
like a week ago.

Overlander
07-30-2012, 08:49 PM
like a week ago.

Thanks - how is the trail... you think I can get up there by myself in my 80 better tag team with somebody else.

Overlander
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
...in the past, Bill Moore Lake and the surrounding hiking trails has been a good spot.
How do you get there? Looks like West of St. Mary's Glacier area.

Update - found it on traildamage.com

rover67
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/2010-04-04/brdFinal2_2010-01-01.pdf

Pay attention to the map in the lower sections as the trail is not signed very well. you can get to some non copacetic spots that seem totally legit very easily.

There is one obstacle climbing out of the creek that can be difficult but the locked 80 should be fine (fun). We've gotten stock 40's over it after a few tries.

The trail can be tight in places..

Look for mushies where you normally would... the lower section of the trail (502.1) has a lot of moisture.

Overlander
07-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks Marco

Crash
07-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Here are a few that we saw a few years ago near Leadville. Don't know what kind they are but would like to. The 'shrooms in the first two pics were huge with the largest being nearly 16" in diameter.

Crash
07-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Some other scenes from the same trip:

Overlander
07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Here are a few that we saw a few years ago near Leadville. Don't know what kind they are but would like to. The 'shrooms in the first two pics were huge with the largest being nearly 16" in diameter.

The upper left pics shows what probably is Boletus - need to see the spores under the cap to be sure. The lower two pics both show a mushroom variety called Amanita Muscaria (aka Fly Agaric) - they are poisonous (and psychoactive). Do not pick them - leave'em alone.

rover67
08-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah the brown ones look like Boletus.. but really OLD ones. Probably full of worms.

Other ones are no good as stated above.

That rig you found looks muy beautiful. holy cow.

CardinalFJ60
08-01-2012, 03:25 PM
My neighbor just bought a Tacoma so I brought him up to Coney/Middle St. Vrain last weekend. These were all over the place...snapped this one on the side of the trail. I'm not into mushrooms...(anymore :hill:) is this the same kind as the red one above?

Overlander
08-02-2012, 07:34 AM
My neighbor just bought a Tacoma so I brought him up to Coney/Middle St. Vrain last weekend. These were all over the place...snapped this one on the side of the trail. I'm not into mushrooms...(anymore :hill:) is this the same kind as the red one above?

Yes - the same poisonous ones as above.

DanS
08-02-2012, 08:31 PM
My wife is a mushroom nut. She's gotten me hooked.

She was out yesterday and didn't find anything in an area that last year yielded a decent amount.

I am amazed that the early season drought would effect the mushrooms this late in the season, as it seems that the rain-sun-rain-sun cycle for the past few weeks would be pretty good for waking up the spores.

We will probably go looking for some middle of next week to see what we can find...

Dan

farnhamstj
08-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Why Santa's reindeer fly.

Overlander
08-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Dan -

If you're in Idaho Springs then there should be good spots on Guanella Pass - somewhere around 9000 - 10500 feet is where they should be showing up now. The postings on the local board tell me that the season has started late but it's going strong now.

We found good numbers off Peak to Peak Hwy last Satruday.

My wife is a mushroom nut. She's gotten me hooked.
She was out yesterday and didn't find anything in an area that last year yielded a decent amount.
I am amazed that the early season drought would effect the mushrooms this late in the season, as it seems that the rain-sun-rain-sun cycle for the past few weeks would be pretty good for waking up the spores.
We will probably go looking for some middle of next week to see what we can find... Dan

rover67
08-06-2012, 10:49 AM
We found tons along the sourdough trail yesterday. they are kicking.

Overlander
08-07-2012, 09:51 AM
We found tons along the sourdough trail yesterday. they are kicking.

Do you like eating them too, or just picking them 'for sport'.. :) My wife loves picking them but won't touch 'em with a barge pole... hehe.

Also, we went up the Middle St. Vrain trail starting at Camp Dick. At the end of that trail there was still good 5mi to the Beaver Res. I now see on the map that there is a more direct route to Beaver Res via Co Rd 96 right off the P2P Hwy - if you've been on it - how is that section?

CardinalFJ60
08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
CR96 is a flat, graded dirt road in superior condition.

Once you get to the trailhead, the trail up to the water crossing is tame with a couple very minor spots where you should think about tire placement. There are lots of big and deep :thumb: puddles, and some of the trail is a little tight. (I had my neighbor with me last time in his New to him 2011 taco. he was concerned with some pinstriping, but didn't get any)

rover67
08-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Umm... eating them is the only reason to pick them?

I'd leave them if you aren't gonna much on 'em. I feel like it'd be a waste to not eat them.

they taste buttery. delicious.

Overlander
08-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Umm... eating them is the only reason to pick them?

I'd leave them if you aren't gonna much on 'em. I feel like it'd be a waste to not eat them.

they taste buttery. delicious.

Oh, my mom and I love them, but my wife and daughter don't. We always keep some.

DanS
08-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Dan -

If you're in Idaho Springs then there should be good spots on Guanella Pass - somewhere around 9000 - 10500 feet is where they should be showing up now. The postings on the local board tell me that the season has started late but it's going strong now.

We found good numbers off Peak to Peak Hwy last Satruday.

Interesting. Kate was out on Guanella yesterday. Skunked.

We're off to Argentine right now to go looking...

Dan

Rust free cruisers
08-20-2014, 09:56 PM
can someone help me with what trails are closest to Lakewood, Co for Good to eat mushrooms?

My wife LOVES mushrooms and she said she would go trail riding with me if there are mushrooms to pick and enjoy later!!!

Corbet
08-22-2014, 08:52 AM
my neighbor posted these, I assume picked around the neighborhood.

DanS
08-22-2014, 11:05 PM
For what it's worth, my wife found White and Red Bolete's today in Dumont.

Tomorrow she's got big plans for big a big mushroom hunting day...

Dan

wesintl
08-27-2014, 02:48 PM
don't get lost out there

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/08/27/mushroom-hunters-lizard-head-wilderness/14697145/