PDA

View Full Version : Late Model FJ40 Currie Rear Axle

akingf5371
07-31-2012, 03:46 AM
I have this listed on Mud as well, here it is:

Okay guys, this is my first add in the classifieds so bear with me.

So, this axle came under my '82 FJ40 when I purchased it and it worked great! I have since switched some things around and now it's just gathering dust where it can be helping a fellow mudder!

Details:
Currie FJ40 Rear Axle (3:25)
Drum Brakes
E-Brake

Included in Purchase:

Axle, axle covers, rear drive shaft, and e-brake parts

It doesn't use the stock e-brake parts, but you can modify the existing line to operate this. ( I will include what was under there before, but I don't have a picture of it right now)

Hit me up with any questions you may have, I'll be happy to answer them! I'm asking $750.00 OBO, the PO said he paid over $2.5k for it and I think it is pretty reasonable. As far as shipping goes I much rather do a local pick up or maybe mudship, I don't have a trailer to drag this thing to a drop off location.

Item is located in Denver, CO.

Link to the mud post with the pictures:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/597815-co-late-model-fj40-currie-rear-axle.html

akingf5371
09-25-2012, 01:27 AM
To the top!

Air Randy
09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Not much demand for these in a LC configuration. The stock LC rear ends are pretty bullet proof too and a dime a dozen. Plus if you do break an axle they're easy to find. It's also nice to be able to unbolt the rear inspection cover.

What I'm curious about is, Currie does not make a "Toyota" axle. This has got to be a Ford 9" or 8" center section with axle tubes welded on to have the LC offset.

See if there are any part numbers stamped into the 3rd member/center section. If this is a Ford 9" 3rd member I might be able to use just the 3rd member housing. The 3.25 gears, open carrier, axles, brakes and housing would not work for me.

akingf5371
09-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Randy- I'll check as soon as I can and get back with. Yeah, I know it's not the popular choice, it is the reason I swapped it out!

akingf5371
10-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Randy- I'll check for you this evening. This really needs to get out of my garage before it snows even worse! Accepting ANY offers to get this thing out of my way!

Air Randy
10-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Randy- I'll check for you this evening. This really needs to get out of my garage before it snows even worse! Accepting ANY offers to get this thing out of my way!

Did you ever check this? If it's a Ford 9" 3rd member I'll take the setup for $50.

akingf5371
10-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Did you ever check this? If it's a Ford 9" 3rd member I'll take the setup for $50.

Randy, I forgot about it! I'll get you some pictures soon. I'm pretty sure it's a Ford 9" the guys at the first RS meeting were pretty sure that is what it was.

akingf5371
10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Randy-
This is the photo my SO took while I was at work. I've also included the pictures the PO had of it when it was for sale. Does any of this help?

Tommy the Cat
10-22-2012, 11:07 PM
That is definitely a 9" Ford. The only advantage I see to running one is the infinite gearing options available and I'll bet it doesn't use c-clips. Pretty cool though, I've never seen one.

Air Randy
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
I'll take it off your hands if you want. I can use the basic 3rd member in my race car once I set it up with new gears and a locker. The rest of it isn't much good for anything else.

Yes, these don't use C clips. The axle bearings are pressed on and there is a flange with 4 bolts that goes to the axle housing that holds the axles in.

akingf5371
10-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Randy, I'll accept your offer of $50 for the axle, it doesn't seem anyone else is really interested in it. PM when you can come pick it up, I live in downtown Denver. Cheers!