PDA

View Full Version : Less expensive option for 80 series birfs?

ToddD
08-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I've seen them for $225 each. I know I am clicking on the passenger side, in forward and reverse, and I'd bet the DS isn't in the best shape.
Anyone know of a local source for birfs that may be cheaper than $225? I have a pretty big parts list and need to stretch every dollar.
Thanks

Edit; I am replacing my u joints as well and would like to get the shafts balanced since I'll have them out, any driveline shop recommendations?

Rock Dog
08-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I've seen them for $225 each. I know I am clicking on the passenger side, in forward and reverse, and I'd bet the DS isn't in the best shape.
Anyone know of a local source for birfs that may be cheaper than $225? I have a pretty big parts list and need to stretch every dollar.
Thanks

Edit; I am replacing my u joints as well and would like to get the shafts balanced since I'll have them out, any driveline shop recommendations?

for the Driveshafts, i use Englewood Driveshaft.. They have Always done a great job...

Neil.

MountainGoat
08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
I got mine rebuilf at CV Unlimited. Here are the details: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=15169They have held up flawlessly.

Englewood Driveshaft is GREAT! I strongly recommend them as well.

ToddD
08-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Those birfs look great, Goat.
I called Rocky Mountain Driveline today and they are rebuilding them for about $100.
I have bought many cv axles from them for cars over the years and have 0 complaints.
I called Slava with Irbis and he said he deals with them as well and has had nothing but great experiences.
I am going to pull the driveshafts for some fresh u joints and remove the axle shafts and take them to Rocky Mountain driveline and see what they say.
If I can get rebuilt birfs, u joints installed (I'm taking them u joints from slee, I think they're $40 each) and the shafts balanced for under $400, I'll be a happy camper. I still need tires, a mirror, some molding, paint, etc., etc.... you know how it goes.

Corbet
08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Missed the sale but maybe you can hike up your skirt and sweet talk him over the phone :bolt: http://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marketplace/604497-80-series-birfields-sale.html

No personal experience with them, just spotted them on MUD

ToddD
08-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Would that be $110 a piece with that sale?? Damn, sad I missed that deal. I dropped them at the shop already.
Looks like $700 to rebuild them, plus the $180 i spent on the joints.
That costs covers front axle shafts and birfs inspected and rebuilt, and driveshafts balanced and u joints replaced.
The rear drive shaft was seized, u joints were toasted.
One front axle shaft had excessive wear where the seal rides.
The good news is, after this work, I can probably maintain all this for the rest of the 80's lifetime.