PDA

View Full Version : Lockhart basin decent.

coax
08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Sorry if this is a duplicate post, still learning the names of all the landmarks/roads.

I'm looking at doing a trip out to south-east utah in the end of september. The end of the trip would be a south-to-north drive of lockhart basin. After doing a bunch of reading on the various forums, I am a bit nervous regarding how "bad" the off camber decent is coming out of lockhart towards Moab. Seems like that is the one place that people always mention, but the reports vary quite a lot in its difficulty. I would imagine due to both road conditions, vehicle, driver, etc.

So, anyone care to weigh in on the difficulty/etc for an intermediate driver? The 80 is set up with good tread 285 Nitto TG's, 3" lift, lockers, winch. My first trip in the 80 was a single-vehicle trip out to the Doll House in the Maze, which went very well. For this trip in lockhart there will be 2 vehicles. The other vehicle is a 100 with 2.5" lift, 285 BFG's, Front bumper, sliders.

I just don't wanna get too far in over my head if I can avoid it.

:cheers:

Jacket
08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Unless things have changed a lot in the last few years, I don't remember anything that I'd be seriously worried about. There's a steep, rocky decent into a moderately technical section just before you climb out over Hurrah Pass, but with two trucks and decent driving skills I don't think you guys would need to worry.

coax
08-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Cool thanks Matt. That makes me feel a bit better. :cheers: Not that it would be hard for us to turn around and head back down south and do a big loop then on pavement back to Moab if for some reason we had to.

rover67
08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't remember it being too tough. I remember one section (short climb out of a gully a-la Kane Creek) Matt cleaned gracefully in his Taco that I had to try twice at. Robbie pulled his military trailer through it.

that was a while ago.

Inukshuk
08-08-2012, 11:52 PM
12 years ago I did it the other way in a stock 60. Not even aired down (I did not know)

Caribou Sandstorm
08-09-2012, 12:10 AM
The hundy has Atrac and sounds like it has adequate mods. Unless this section has changed a bunch, the 100 will probably do the feature Marco mentioned with relative ease.

Really the tricky part for our group that did it with Robbie, IMO, was the group coming up as we we approached from the other side. That opposing traffic took a bit of coordination, as I remember.

powderpig
08-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Usually going down will not present as much problem as going up.That said you should be fine if the road is in decent shape. If in doubt, get out and walk the section to see if you have any issues that need address before going in. If I remember right there is not much area to pass any one on this road.

cbmontgo
08-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Lockhart Basin...my favorite!

coax
08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the information everyone! Seems like the general consensus is that its a bit more moderate than the internet at large would have me believe. Will definitely scout the sections for both terrain and other vehicles before heading in. We'll hit this section on a Tuesday I think so hopefully not quite as much traffic as a weekend.

Great picture! I've done white rim on a bike but never any exploring on the east side of the river there. I think I've got most of the rest of the trip planned from way down south all the way north, all assuming that the rain is minimal enough not to cause major headaches. But we'll plan on carrying enough gas to back out of most places if need be.

Once you get towards the end, is it pretty straight forward to find your way out back to moab? Seems like there are lots of different trails in that area (chicken corners, hurrah pass, kane creek, etc).

Also is it worth doing the side spur down lockhart canyon to the river? Not sure how much time we'll have, especially leaving some extra time for that final section near hurrah pass.

:cheers:

flood
08-09-2012, 05:54 PM
I definitely feel a lot better now, thanks for the replies!

wesintl
08-09-2012, 05:55 PM
think a 100 series could make it thru there?

Inukshuk
08-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Seems like the general consensus is that its a bit more moderate than the internet at large would have me believe.

They don't drive Land Cruisers. :cool:

cruiseroutfit
08-12-2012, 05:57 PM
think a 100 series could make it thru there?

Without an issue. With some decent spotting, driving and perhaps a couple of well placed rocks I wouldn't hesitate to take even a stock 100 through. We've pulled trailers (albeit off-road trailers), again some careful driving and its a non-issue.

Fwiw there are several threads on ExpeditionUtah with info on the Lockhart trail, the crashed plane, etc.

coax
08-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated.

Fwiw there are several threads on ExpeditionUtah with info on the Lockhart trail, the crashed plane, etc.

Thanks Kurt! I did read through a bunch of them but couldn't really find a good description or picture of the one tippy section. Lots of great photos and trip reports that make me want to leave for the trip sooner, though! I ended up finding an older youtube video that a bit of that section. I'll try and remember to take a picture and post it up.

Overall looks like its not too bad, just have to pay attention. Though that could all change quickly with rain, etc. :cheers:

wesintl
08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Without an issue. With some decent spotting, driving and perhaps a couple of well placed rocks I wouldn't hesitate to take even a stock 100 through

I'm not sure you follow some of our dry humor and razzing we're giving to the recent influx of 100 series wheelers over here.:lmao: ;)

Jacket
08-15-2012, 12:27 PM
^And I see that your signature is updated. Will there be an unveiling of your latest addition?

wesintl
08-15-2012, 02:47 PM
:doh:

nakman
08-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Who you calling wheeler? 100's are for soccer practice :cheer: