PDA

View Full Version : Bill Moore Lake Rally Run Sunday August 26th 2012

Rzeppa
08-15-2012, 09:11 PM
This is one of the runs associated with the Rally the day after. It's an easy, scenic run that any stock Toyota 4x4 can do. There are a few interesting spots on the trail, and you definitely need 4x4, this is not Subaru grade. Get out of the heat of the flatlands and come up to timberline, enjoy the vista and have a nice walk around a pristine alpine lake!

The trail is a there and back again, starting and ending just above the town of Empire, which is just west of Idaho Springs on I-70. It's about 2 hours each way at a lazy pace, leaving plenty of time to lunch and hike around the lake. Kids, family and pets are welcome; of course pets must be leashed.

We will meet at the Burger King in Downieville at 9:00 and depart at 9:30. That will get us to the trailhead and air down around 10:00, which should get us to the lake in time for lunch and exploring. At this time of year, our high country wildflowers are so awesome! Back to I-70 by around 3:00; if traffic's heavy I know some side roads to get us past. As usual, cb channel 4, and if there is too much traffic on that channel we'll switch to 5. And as usual, my HAM is in my sandwich, anyone else with your HAM somewhere else you know what to do to talk smack behind our backs

Bring lunch, plenty of water, jackets (this is Colorado!), hiking gear, your camera, sunscreen, deet or long sleeves, and of course your camera! Happy cruisin'!

Rzeppa
08-19-2012, 10:51 PM
27 views and no replies. So who wants to go on this run?

FJCDan
08-20-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm in for this run and Sam from Stay The Trail want's to ride along also to help educate anyone on the trail.

nattybumppo
08-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Wish I could, but I'm working!

Rzeppa
08-21-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm in for this run and Sam from Stay The Trail want's to ride along also to help educate anyone on the trail.

Cool! That makes 2, maybe 3?

FJCDan
08-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Cool! That makes 2, maybe 3?

Hey maybe I could be your tail gunner!!! :)

fjcruzer
08-22-2012, 01:51 PM
I might join you pending weekend chore requirements :)

smslavin
08-22-2012, 04:17 PM
This sounds good. I've been wanting to take the little :Princess:es up there anyway. Let me check with the social coordinator.

Rzeppa
08-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Excellent! I will look forward to seeing you all! :cheers:

cajunrock
08-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Any way to run both the Spring Creek run and the Bill Moore in the same day?? Bounced around near Empire "Bard Creek/Democrat mountian" during a rainy day last week. straight up with a challenge every now and then.

Rzeppa
08-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Any way to run both the Spring Creek run and the Bill Moore in the same day?? Bounced around near Empire "Bard Creek/Democrat mountian" during a rainy day last week. straight up with a challenge every now and then.

Yes of course, but not with both groups. We will both be moving at the same time, but across the canyon from each other. Kind of being in two places at one time conundrum...

FJBRADY
08-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Good chance I'll be on this run, but I have to bail early. Might just drive the 40 with the wind in my hair!:)

SRT08BUS
08-24-2012, 06:48 PM
wish I could as this has always been a trial I look forward to each year, and with RS of course. If I can sneak out for a bit I'll try.

Rzeppa
08-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Bill Moore isn't (usually) much of a trial, just a nice easy scenic trail that pretty much any SUV can run. Spring Creek on the other hand is much more challenging and technical.

fjcruzer
08-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Sorry for the last-minute bail, but Bill Moore isn't in the cards for me today. Y'all stay cool up there!