PDA

View Full Version : FJ62 Front Axle Housing

Crash
08-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Anyone have a straight front axle housing for an FJ62 they would sell? Too bad I just sold one before realizing I should have kept it. :(

corsair23
08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Too bad I just sold one before realizing I should have kept it. :(

Murphy's Law bud...:hill:

rover67
08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
bummer man.

I wish i could help out.

How badly is it bent? What happened?

Crash
08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Jeff, Murphy was an optimist, right? Timing is everything.....
Marco, nothing more than a little Bajaing in Utah, that's all. Riiiight!!! Happened during the CM pre-run in March and the truck has been going great until I pulled the Longfields to have them rebuilt due to clicking during turns. Could barely get the driver side out because of binding and it surely wouldn't go back in. Next clue was the lower trunnion bearing came out in many pieces. You play, you pay.
Off to Irbis.

nuclearlemon
08-21-2012, 11:10 AM
not a 62, but i have a 60 housing. of course all of the mounts are shaved off of it for a spring over

Crash
08-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Ige, but Bart is staying SU.
Found one and it was simpler than I thought it would be. Now the work begins.

nattybumppo
08-21-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't think you got any more than 2 feet off the ground for about 20 yards. That shouldn't bend a gussetted fj62 housing!?!

Corbet
08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
I can't help but definitely feel your pain.:o

Crash
08-21-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't think you got any more than 2 feet off the ground for about 20 yards. That shouldn't bend a gussetted fj62 housing!?!

I hit pretty hard into the far side of the creek crossing at about 60mph and then launched so it may have been the first hit. It's the only thing that I can think of that could possibly have bent the area near the trunnion bearing. Could hardly get the worn Longfield out of the housing and certainly couldn't get the new back in. Come on by and check it out!
Thanks Corbet. :cheers:

Old40Dog
08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Zach said you guys were flyin' when he rode with you on the Moab pre-run Sat afternoon! He couldn't believe you had a 3F'nE in your 62 after driving my '92-80 (actually his '92-80....long story). :drool: Was that about when you think you did this? Axle housing are suddenly in huge demand!

rover67
08-21-2012, 11:17 PM
was this during last years moab pre run?

Did it drive any differently between then and now, or was it the longfield/trunion bearing that alerted you to the problem?

Crash
08-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Dave, the problem occurred after the pre-run in March ended when Sascha and I were hightailing it from Ten Mile Canyon, NW of Moab, back to I-70 so we could hit the bar in Green River before dark. We had just followed the bottom of Ten Mile Canyon as far as we could to about 4.5 miles from where it empties into the Green River. We were thirsty and having fun on a dirt road that was straight for as far as the eye could see and other than the big dip - 10' deep and 30' across - for a creek crossing it was like a landing strip that went forever. Doing 60-65, didn't see the dip in time, no signage, to slow down much so just hung on and got air twice, once flying into the far side of the dip and then springing back into the air as I crested the drop off. Big fun!! Pretty sure that was the damage point. Everything felt fine so we just kept going.
Marco, no signs of anything wrong at CM2012, wheeled just fine. It wasn't until a Great Sand Dunes camping trip in June that I started to hear some clicking in the driver birf. When I got home from that trip I looked at the backside of the wheel and saw the telltale signs of goop leaking past the felt seals. Finally got around to working on the truck just recently and couldn't get the Longfield out of the housing without getting pretty medieval with it. The rebuilt Long wouldn't fit back in and that it when I started looking at things a little more closely and decided to pull the knuckle off. When the bottom trunnion cap came off, all the little roller bearings fell out, one by one, and I knew the housing was smushed up. Time for a new housing and I brought a new used one home this morning.
Back to the garage!

nattybumppo
08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
When I got home from that trip I looked at the backside of the wheel and saw the telltale signs of goop leaking past the felt seals.

Backwoods goop?! :lmao:

rover67
08-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Cool, thanks for the story, helps my diagnose mine. I have been wondering if my axle is bent and causing death wobble.

It'll be sweet to have Bart fixed up.