PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Reservoir - biking around...

SteveH
08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
My youngest wants a place to go camping where she can ride her bike on fairly flat ground (paved, too, possibly). I was thinking that Dillon reservoir had some bike-compatible trails around the perimeter of the lake. Is that true? I can't find any evidence of this online.

There are a number of campsites in Dillon, so camping shouldn't be an issue. Does anyone have a favorite of the 5 campgrounds listed by the forest service?

Heaton Bay
Peak One
Pine Cove
Lowry
Prospector

We just need a place for a popup, preferably with electricity.

Thanks - Steve

sno bored
08-23-2012, 04:02 PM
There is a paved rec/bike path that goes around the lake. 75% of the path around the lake is pretty much flat. I have never camped around the lake, so I can't help you there.

SteveH
08-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Perfect - just what I needed to know

smslavin
08-23-2012, 05:12 PM
We just camped up at Prospector a couple of weeks ago. Nice site and it was pretty empty. Most of the folks there were in pop-ups, 5th wheels or RVs. Missing a lot of trees but it was still pretty quiet.

I did notice a trail that ran along Swan Mountain Road (west bound towards 9) for a bit then it merged with the road. Probably want to keep her off that one.

Have a good time.

Uncle Ben
08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Just rode it a couple weeks ago. It is relatively flat except for Swan mountain. The east side of Swan is all paved path. The west side of Swan is the highway! I suggest parking and starting at the marina in Dillon just south of the amphitheater. That way you climb Swan first as it is constant and steep! The ride is just under 20 miles total.

BreckBJ44
08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
I used to ride there a bunch. the previous posters all are right about swan...

In the middle of swan are some backcountry camping sites you can use as well if you want to away from the main press of people. Look for them close to sapphire point. on the outside of the road/loop.

The road may not be good fro kids as it is steep and windy with little to no shoulder and on busy weekends, you tend to get bad drivers that are impatient and try to pass with little to no room. I would do a there and back to Breck or Frisco as opposed to over swan. You can do from the peal of swan to dillion easily (off road paved paths) but there are some good climbs there...

Corbet
09-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I would suggest camping on the peninsula if the campgrounds are available. Then you'd have more area away from traffic for younger riders.