PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Baja 1000

Caribou Sandstorm
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o4bOEnA6iLk/TxHI_x8J8-I/AAAAAAAAHxM/Pa5yej_58Og/s1600/BAJA+1000+2012+poster+live.png

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/RedBull/RBImages/000/000/345/636/photo610x343a/0112_USA_Baja1000.jpg

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/autoshows/coverage/163_1210_surviving_the_baja_500/38610916+pheader_460x1000/2012-baja-500-01-lexus.JPG.jpg

I have always wanted to explore more of Baja Mexico. I used to head down to K38 years ago and surf with buddies, messed around in Ensenada and have surfed off the islands called Todos Santos. When I was younger, elementary school age, my Dad had these guy trips to the Baja every year and I always thought I would do the same.

Anyway, while at the Ouray FJ Summit this year, I was speaking with Woody and Joe Bacal and asked/offered to be a chase vehicle for Joe.. Joe said sure we would love to have your help. Woody was invited to be a Co-Driver/Navigator.

As with these types of informal conversations, you never know if it will pan out.... Fortunately, this is panning out and as it turns out Joe needed an additional CO-Driver/Navigator. So I am in the race vehicle now for part of the race!!

Since most of you know, I don't stray to far from my adopted big brother/mechanic on my excursions..(water crossing at Dirty Devil aside), so I asked Robbie to join me in the chase vehicle, my rig... Robbie has accepted.

I have invited a couple other buddies, as well but will have to see who can make the time available.

We are working out the details but looks like Robbie and I will head toward San Diego sometime around Nov.12-13. The race is a two day race from Ensenada to La Paz, on the 16-17. Then it is a long meander back up the Baja to get home by the Wed. before Thanksgiving..

I am super excited about both the co-driving and the meander back up through the Baja, to explore this area more.

I am looking for a few things to maybe buy, borrow?

1) Set of Maxtrax, if anyone has a set they want to loan or sell, I am interested.
2) new synthetic winch line, probably have to buy one from Thor but thought I would see if anyone has an extra one new/used they want to sell.

Here is some info Joe and the Baja 1000 if your interested in learning more.

Joe won the Baja 1000 for his class of vehicle in 2010. Last year he crashed out.

http://joebacal.com

http://bajasafari.blogspot.com/2012/01/baja-1000-2012.html

FJBRADY
08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Lucky

wesintl
08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
new meaning to coming in HOT!

Caribou Sandstorm
08-24-2012, 12:16 PM
new meaning to coming in HOT!

Right, we will see just how much comfort factor I have in that ol' label..:eek:

Jacket
08-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Cool. Don't roll your Cruiser down the side of a hill please.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-24-2012, 12:30 PM
We will be safe

corsair23
08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Awesome Chris!!

Take lots of pictures...Trip/experience of a lifetime :thumb:

Jacket
08-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Yes that was a mis communication between Co-driver and driver, got the scoop on that turn of events, so-to-speak. Or are you speaking of the roll this year on Pikes peak?

Keeping the roll over chatter to a minimum for good Karma and in the event the wife stumbles on this thread. Please no videos of that.

There was a guy a few years ago in an 80 that missed a turn and dumped it down a hill. He was racing though - not chasing.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Got it! Rubber side down

cruiseroutfit
08-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Right on Chris! :cool:

We helped wrench on Joe's truck during the 2010 B1K (which he later won) and we were "Chase 11" for Team TRD's Tacoma and Joe's LX470 at last years race. We are running it ourselves this year. Our team consists of 6 Cruiserheads and a chase crew of Cruiserheads too, come to think of it I don't think we have anyone on our team that isn't a Cruiser owner. We'll be rooting for you guys! :cool:

subzali
08-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Wow! what is Joe driving this year?

Caribou Sandstorm
08-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Right on Chris! :cool:

We helped wrench on Joe's truck during the 2010 B1K (which he later won) and we were "Chase 11" for Team TRD's Tacoma and Joe's LX470 at last years race. We are running it ourselves this year. Our team consists of 6 Cruiserheads and a chase crew of Cruiserheads too, come to think of it I don't think we have anyone on our team that isn't a Cruiser owner. We'll be rooting for you guys! :cool:

Dude..... I am super pumped you are going to be there, as well.

Will give a shout next Utah trip, maybe we can grab dinner and I can ask you tons of Questions...

When are you heading to Ensenada? Maybe Robbie and I can follow you down?

We can road trip back up together if you want. That would be super fun.

Old40Dog
08-28-2012, 11:14 PM
What a great adventure Chris! Have a great time!

cruiseroutfit
09-06-2012, 11:55 PM
...Will give a shout next Utah trip, maybe we can grab dinner and I can ask you tons of Questions...

For sure. We generally work on our car one or two nights a week at Ryan Davis's shop in Bountiful (10 minutes from SLC), would be great to have you stop by. Otherwise dinner is always good.

...When are you heading to Ensenada? Maybe Robbie and I can follow you down?

Current logistic plan is leaving SLC Sunday 11/11.

...We can road trip back up together if you want. That would be super fun.

I'm not sure what our return path will be like but I know we are planning on just booking it home. Each of our chase/support rigs should have 3 drivers so we plan to literally drive all day Saturday, make a late camp that night and then get home or at least close to it on Sunday.

Crash
09-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Hey Kurt, is Ryan planning on going this year?
Anyone else want to go? I haven't been to Baja since 1980(!) and it sure would be easier in a 100 with a co-driver than the trip was back then. Riding my old Husqvarna at 100mph on the Baja trail was a gas but the comfort of a modern Cruiser would be much more appropriate these days. Only two months away so some quick planning would be necessary. Anybody interested?

For sure. We generally work on our car one or two nights a week at Ryan Davis's shop in Bountiful (10 minutes from SLC), would be great to have you stop by. Otherwise dinner is always good.

I'm not sure what our return path will be like but I know we are planning on just booking it home. Each of our chase/support rigs should have 3 drivers so we plan to literally drive all day Saturday, make a late camp that night and then get home or at least close to it on Sunday.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Sounds good, I think I had my dates off, just got the rough time frame plan from Joe's team. I may follow you up and out. I kind of wanted to stop just near Ensenada on the way home to surf, so may stay one more day in Ensenada.

smslavin
09-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I have always wanted to explore more of Baja Mexico. I used to head down to K38 years ago and surf with buddies, messed around in Ensenada and have surfed off the islands called Todos Santos.

Todos? Do we have a hell man emoticon? :D

http://www.surfersvillage.com/img/news/45552.jpg

Love it down there. Spent quite a bit of time at K38 myself but even more on the gulf side. An old friend in SD had a plane and we'd fly down to Gonzaga. Only drove it once and I'm bummed I wasn't more into off roading back then as there are so many cool areas to explore out there. In the winter, we used to freedive with the whale sharks.

Jealous of your upcoming opportunity. That's something I've always wanted to do. As has already been mentioned, shiny side up and take lots of pictures.

If anyone hasn't seen it, Dust to Glory gives a great story of the race.

_B6N-jXoFvM

1loudLX
09-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Jealous of you Chris, completely.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Todos? Do we have a hell man emoticon? :D

http://www.surfersvillage.com/img/news/45552.jpg

Let me confess now, I was not surfing Todos in January...It was May.. You know it is the Waimea of the west coast during the big storms.. Funny in May it was still 4 feet over head and faster than anything I had ever been on before. Water so clear you can open your eyes as you are duck diving and see the wave rolling over your head.

Jealous of you Chris, completely.

Usually it is the other way around for you and me, I am usually jealous of your trips.

smslavin
09-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Let me confess now, I was not surfing Todos in January...It was May.. You know it is the Waimea of the west coast during the big storms.. Funny in May it was still 4 feet over head and faster than anything I had ever been on before. Water so clear you can open your eyes as you are duck diving and see the wave rolling over your head.

It's a great wave. Anything nearing the DOH range deserves respect. Nice job. Usually when I was out in stuff that big, I was never riding. Just swimming with the camera and trying not to get crushed. :D

Water really is beautiful down there. Almost South Pacific like except for the temperature. I truly hope they don't ruin it.

smslavin
09-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Anyone else want to go? Only two months away so some quick planning would be necessary. Anybody interested?

Interested? Most definitely but I probably have a 50/50 chance of pulling it together. I'll look into it though and see what I can do.

cruiseroutfit
09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey Kurt, is Ryan planning on going this year?...

Ryan Davis? Indeed he is. If all goes as planned Ryan takes are our car over the finish line, driving in the last position. In the meantime he is our comms guru!

Crash
09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Ryan Davis? Indeed he is. If all goes as planned Ryan takes are our car over the finish line, driving in the last position. In the meantime he is our comms guru!

Wow, that's cool! Thanks, Kurt and say hi to Ryan for me the next time you see him.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I just had to give up my spot for this race.

I have work conflicts that are too big to skip... Bummer. Hope I can go in the future!

Sometimes responsibility really gets in the way of fun..

Woodsman
09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Oh man ! Life can be cruel. I bet he'd offer you the spot next year.

jonharis
10-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I just had to give up my spot for this race.

I have work conflicts that are too big to skip... Bummer. Hope I can go in the future!

Sometimes responsibility really gets in the way of fun..

Sooooo. Is the seat open?

Caribou Sandstorm
10-05-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't think so TR is going from ARB and Robbie is going. I think either guy is going to pick up the spot.

cruiseroutfit
10-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Bummer!