PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe we don't have a Hatch Green Chile thread...

subzali
08-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Every year I say I'm going to go buy some roasted green chiles. And then I don't. Maybe it's because we don't have much freezer space. But this year I don't care - I want some!

Where's a good place in Denver to buy them? How much do I buy? How much should I expect to pay?

SteveH
08-27-2012, 10:35 AM
No help in Denver, but...

In the Springs, you can buy a little baggie of peppers for $4, but a whole bushel (or half) is a far cheaper way to buy them. I would buy a bushel and then dole them out to friends - you'll save a ton of money and make friends. I also heard that hotter summers make for hotter peppers, and if the seller cautions you as to the hotness, you should probably listen to them.

wesintl
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/campfire-cuisine/609375-hatch-chile-season-here.html#post7843923

subzali
08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/campfire-cuisine/609375-hatch-chile-season-here.html#post7843923

I think the Power Road Farmer's Market is going to be a little too far of a drive...:(

treerootCO
08-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Berry Patch has them. Just don't call them 'Hatch' or you will offend them. Hatch refers to a region in New Mexico (Hatch Valley near Hatch New Mexico). You can also come on down to the ghetto. There are sellers of fine roasted chilies on every corner.

Fishy
08-27-2012, 04:08 PM
We get ours from Nick's.
http://www.nicksgardencenter.com/

One of our neighbors recommended them last year and we were not disappointed. They have baskets and baskets of them. Maybe 8 or 9 different varieties. Mild to super hot. Plus they have tons of free recipe cards that feature chilies.

Buy as much as you want and they fire roast them right in front of you. Get more than you think you'll want and freeze the rest. I cannot wait!

subzali
08-27-2012, 04:24 PM
We get ours from Nick's.

One of our neighbors recommended them last year and we were not disappointed. They have baskets and baskets of them. Maybe 8 or 9 different varieties. Mild to super hot. Plus they have tons of free recipe cards that feature chilies.

Buy as much as you want and they fire roast them right in front of you. Get more than you think you'll want and freeze the rest. I cannot wait!

Cool, thanks for the tip! That's close enough I can go during lunch, and then peel them after work. Mmm my truck will smell so good!

treerootCO
08-28-2012, 09:58 AM
I watched a cooking show that said all the heat is in the vanes. If you want mild, and all they have is hot, you can cut out the vanes and are left with a mild chili.

Jacket
08-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Cool, thanks for the tip! That's close enough I can go during lunch, and then peel them after work. Mmm my truck will smell so good!

If you wear contacts, be sure to wear gloves when doing any peeling and seeding.....

DanS
08-28-2012, 10:10 AM
We get ours from Nick's.

As a native New Mexican, there are no varieties. The only Chile worth having is Hatch. What they harvest is what you get. Some years it's hot, some years it's not. FWIW, the Hatch harvest is about to come north. I'm in New Mexico right now and the stands are getting set up, so the Chile will be here in about a week from this year's crop.

Matt: you want some good stuff? Road trip down to Antonito. ;) That said, I've seen actual Hatch Green Chile on Federal, right by I-76 (I assume it will be there again this year).

Dan

wesintl
08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I always buy some, make a burger and put it on top, then the rest goes bad cause I don't use it. While i know you can put it on anything what are the most popular uses?

I never grew up out here so I don't really understand the whole thing but I LIKE HOT peppers.

Fishy
08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
I always buy some, make a burger and put it on top, then the rest goes bad cause I don't use it. While i know you can put it on anything what are the most popular uses?

I never grew up out here so I don't really understand the whole thing but I LIKE HOT peppers.

Same here^ Being an East Coaster, I can't speak for all things chilie. Everyone always says that Hatch green chilies are the only green chilies. But whatever they are selling at Nicks are really really good. I actually think they ARE authentic chilies from the Hatch Valley.

Last year I got a bushel of chilies called Big Jims, which I think is an authentic Hatch chilie?? And I also got a bag of something else that I think was called Mirasol's. They were hotter IIRC.

I took them all home and started peeling them. I made few pots of Pork Green Chilie that we used over everything..... eggs, tortilla chips, burritos, or just straight up in the bowl!

I've realized I like Pork Green Chilie without tomatoes. Its a green/clear color as opposed to the red color you get from using tomato's in the recipe. I used some for making Chile Relleno and some for topping chicken/burgers. I sliced and froze the rest in freezer bags for use later on. I use it as the pepper in a sausage, pepper and onion dish too.

Good advice on wearing plastic gloves and not touching anything. My fingers burned for two days after I got finished peeling. This year, I'll buy double what I had last year. They're that good.

Fishy
08-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Curiosity just got the best of me. I called Nicks to find out what they have.

Their chilies come from Hatch, Pueblo and Brighton depending on the variety of the chilie. They have them right now and she said Labor Day weekend is usually when they peak. They are $35 per roasted bushel. There is a $3 off coupon in this link from the website. Good until the end of Sept!
http://www.nicksgardencenter.com/eblasts/nicks-produce-july-25-2012.pdf

A bushel weighs about 25-30 lbs I think, so It's a good amount of chiles. They roast them, put them in a huge bag and put the bag in an apple crate/box.

Subzali, I don't know if it's a good idea to leave them in your truck all day after that, you may want to ask them? They will be hot and steaming up the bag causing condensation. I don't know if they'll go bad like that or not?

Jacket
08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I've realized I like Pork Green Chile without tomatoes. Its a green/clear color as opposed to the red color you get from using tomato's in the recipe. I used some for making Chile Relleno and some for topping chicken/burgers. I sliced and froze the rest in freezer bags for use later on. I use it as the pepper in a sausage, pepper and onion dish too.

Have you tried tomatillos instead of tomatoes? I think they add a sort of tangy taste, and keep the color of the concoction "pure" (I agree that red tomato chunks are a deterrent). They also combine with the chiles (and lots of cilantro) to make a great salsa.

Fishy
08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Have you tried tomatillos instead of tomatoes? I think they add a sort of tangy taste, and keep the color of the concoction "pure" (I agree that red tomato chunks are a deterrent). They also combine with the chiles (and lots of cilantro) to make a great salsa.

I'll give them a try this year! I LOVE cilantro too. I put it in any soups/stews/salsas that I make.

subzali
08-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Curiosity just got the best of me. I called Nicks to find out what they have.

Their chilies come from Hatch, Pueblo and Brighton depending on the variety of the chilie. They have them right now and she said Labor Day weekend is usually when they peak. They are $35 per roasted bushel. There is a $3 off coupon in this link from the website. Good until the end of Sept!
http://www.nicksgardencenter.com/eblasts/nicks-produce-july-25-2012.pdf

A bushel weighs about 25-30 lbs I think, so It's a good amount of chiles. They roast them, put them in a huge bag and put the bag in an apple crate/box.

Subzali, I don't know if it's a good idea to leave them in your truck all day after that, you may want to ask them? They will be hot and steaming up the bag causing condensation. I don't know if they'll go bad like that or not?

I heard you're supposed to let them sweat for a bit, and the skin comes off easier. I'll ask them though to be sure.

subzali
08-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Just brought back a bushel of Big Jims from Nick's. Yum :)

Thanks for the tip Stan! :cheers:

simps80
08-29-2012, 01:31 PM

chili rellenos
mmmmm

v1xTRYxHMaA&feature=related

wesintl
09-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I got the 411. Went down to federal and Louisiana in front of mercado. Location is highly recommended from some natives and roast really well.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-30-2012, 07:39 AM
I got the 411. Went down to federal and Louisiana in front of mercado. Location is highly recommended from some natives and roast really well.

We should have taken a picture of your trunk! That was cool! Melinda is adding them to into our eggs this morning... Hope we got the medium and not the dynamite..:D

Update.....wow those eggs had some kick..

subzali
09-30-2012, 08:54 AM
We should have taken a picture of your trunk! That was cool! Melinda is adding them to into our eggs this morning... Hope we got the medium and not the dynamite..:D

Update.....wow those eggs had some kick..

mmm...eggs and green chile - great idea! Having some right now, super tasty :D

Corbet
09-30-2012, 07:01 PM
We normally get ours for Wal-Mart :o down here. They are pretty easy to find in Durango.

M makes a good green pork chili. They can be good om most anything if you like some heat.

Shark Bait
09-30-2012, 08:17 PM
We got ours at a stand in Parker at 20 Mile and Hilltop. We've been going to them for a few years now