PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Replacement FJ40 SBC Conversion

Bruiser
08-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Well, my clutch went out the other day but luckily I was in the driveway. Now I have to replace it and thought I would see anyone had any suggestions on other services I should perform while I have my transmission dropped.

This is a SBC conversion to a stock 78 FJ40 4 speed.

Right now I am planning.

real main seal
clutch
Transmission Front Nose Cone Seal
some new gaskets in several places
dual-seal speedometer housing

I was also wondering if anyone knew what clutch I need to get to replace the old one. Right now the clutch I have works with the stock toyota clutch plate. Everything I have see online (mostly centerforce) has the centerforce clutch with and aftermarket gm clutch plate. I probably should replace the clutch plate anyway but is it safe to assume the centerforce plate will work with my flywheel?

Any help you all can provide is much appreciated.

Justin

nattybumppo
08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Look at the clutches Marlin Crawler offers. Dean vouches for the 1200 pound one, but maybe for a SBC you should get the 1600 pound model.

Bruiser
08-29-2012, 06:00 AM
It does not look like Marlin offers one for a FJ40 SBC conversion. Thanks for posting up though. I saw a couple of other things I liked at Marlin that might go on the christmas list:D

Air Randy
08-29-2012, 07:10 AM
I think advanced adapters lists the clutch discs and pressure plates to use. Once you know the correct part numbers you can buy the parts locally. While you have it apart you should plan on getting your flywheel resurfaced before you install the new clutch parts.

nuclearlemon
08-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Transmission Front Nose Cone Seal

do you mean the front bearing retainer gasket? why would you replace that? is yours leaking? they don't usually need replacement.

on the clutch, i did a 69 impala 6cyl iirc, but i can get you numbers when i get home. found a luk clutch real cheap online.

Bruiser
08-29-2012, 08:27 AM
That is good info Ige. I am not sure what is leaking, there is oil/tranny fluid all over the place down there. I actually think it is more likely the rear main seal that is bad and I do plan to replace that.

I also know I am leaking out of the back of the TC at the speedo housing and I will fix that too.

I certainly don't want to remove things I don't have to but while I have it out and while the fluid is out, I thought it was a good time to try to find the leaks.

do you mean the front bearing retainer gasket? why would you replace that? is yours leaking? they don't usually need replacement.

on the clutch, i did a 69 impala 6cyl iirc, but i can get you numbers when i get home. found a luk clutch real cheap online.

Bruiser
08-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I think advanced adapters lists the clutch discs and pressure plates to use. Once you know the correct part numbers you can buy the parts locally. While you have it apart you should plan on getting your flywheel resurfaced before you install the new clutch parts.

Randy,

last time I had the flywheel out, 5 years ago, it looked and seemed perfectly smooth. You think it is a good idea to resurface anyway? Any shops you would recommend?

Justin

nuclearlemon
08-30-2012, 07:08 PM
this was my order from partsgeek.com

Parts Ordered
1969 Chevrolet Impala Clutch Kit Clutch Price: $81.85 Core: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: 04-072

Sub Total: $81.85
Shipping: $7.95
Handling: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Total: $93.75

Air Randy
08-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Randy,

last time I had the flywheel out, 5 years ago, it looked and seemed perfectly smooth. You think it is a good idea to resurface anyway? Any shops you would recommend?

Justin

If there are any rough spots or discoloring, get it resurfaced. If you are going to the trouble of putting in a complete new clutch you dont want it chattering because you cut corners on the flywheel. Any parts store, NAPA, Autozone, etc should offer flywheek resurfacing.

Bruiser
08-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

subzali
08-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Justin, the transfer case front output nose cone gasket/seal could be a culprit. Pretty easy to check and make sure the bearing is in good shape too.

nuclearlemon
08-31-2012, 08:32 AM
. Any parts store, NAPA, Autozone, etc should offer flywheek resurfacing.

however most don't have the services at their shops anymore. they farm it out and quite often won't get it done in this lifetime. i've had to pick my flywheel up twice from checker and vatozone when it sat for an entire weekend and didn't even get sent out. napa havana still has their machine shop, that's who i used to have do mine if i couldn't do it myself.

SteveH
08-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Our local CarQuest was very good about flywheel turning - did my first one for free so that I'd tell all my friends, and did an excellent job.

FJBRADY
08-31-2012, 08:40 AM
vatozone

Classic

Bruiser
08-31-2012, 04:44 PM
however most don't have the services at their shops ganymore. they farm it out and quite often won't get it done in this lifetime. i've had to pick my flywheel up twice from checker and vatozone when it sat for an entire weekend and didn't even get sent out. napa havana still has their machine shop, that's who i used to have do mine if i couldn't do it myself.

I have not been able to find a shop in west Littleton that still does it in house. napa told me their shop off of broadway still does it in house.

TIMZTOY
09-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Clutch.
Pressure plate
Pilot bearing.
Throw out bearing.

Rear main seal.
Tranny fluid
Oil pan gasket if necessary.

The tranny front seal is not needed unless it is leaking (Hardlly ever leak)
Oil pan is just easier with tranny down. And might have to loosen to get rear main.

Bruiser
09-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Richardo and I were able to get the transmission out and back in with the new clutch. It took longer than we expected, it usually does, because we had to take the transmission hump off as well as the seats.

The only thing that is a little concerning, is that the throwout bearing does not always spin freely when the cluth is not engage. It will spin with the clutch plate and flywheel. Sometimes it will pull back far enough so that it does not spin.

I have tried to adjust the clutch slave to but with no luck.

Does anyone know how serious this might be. It does not really make any noticable noise right now.

Thanks

nattybumppo
09-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Make sure the ball on the clutch fork arm that holds the throwout bearing is all the way in the socket. There is a little two-armed retaining spring that it must push past to seat all the way. If it isn't all the way in there, the throwout bearing will do some funny stuff. Ask me how I know.

Bruiser
09-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Make sure the ball on the clutch fork arm that holds the throwout bearing is all the way in the socket. There is a little two-armed retaining spring that it must push past to seat all the way. If it isn't all the way in there, the throwout bearing will do some funny stuff. Ask me how I know.

Thanks, I will double check.

RicardoJM
09-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I think the issue is with the fork and or ball being worn. The clearance setting between the throughout bearing and pressure plate fingers is very small; .06" inch according to the instructions in the link below. With a clearance that tight, any slop/play in the fork would account for the trouble we were having getting it set.

This link (http://www.atlas-tc.com/pdf/712/712532.pdf) should bring up the installation manual for the Advance Adapters Chevy V8 the Land Cruiser FJ40, H42 4spd Tranny Adapter Bellhousing Kit you have. The instructions do have a specific part number for the pressure plate but I don't know if it cross references to what we used.