PDA

View Full Version : Where to go on possible last summer trip this wend?

cool breeze
08-29-2012, 02:33 PM
For some colorado newbs whose last chance to get out before the cold comes, what part of colorado do we need to absolutely need to see?

We have some family coming in town so camping is kinda hard. Thinking more of a cabin near water we can fish or raft.

Been to buena vista so would like to try something else.

Will have the cruiser so daily expo's into back country would be awesome i.e.. passes, trails.

BTW leaving from co springs.
TIA:cheers:

corsair23
08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Ouray...Not sure about cabin rentals though. I know there are some down there but not many near water and being Labor Weekend places are likely booked up.

Other areas would be Grand Lake, Estes Park, Steamboat. Lots of places to go but cabin availability might be the more limiting factor.

SteveH
08-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Hermit Pass, by Westcliffe is a lot of fun, with great vistas and scenery. No cabins, but you could stay in Westcliffe. Not sure about fishing. It takes ~2 hours to get to the summit of the pass. Hermit does not go through, so you come down the way you went in.

coloradobound
08-29-2012, 04:12 PM
For lodging options instead of the commercial norm, check out www.vrbo.com

Its private rentals ranging from condos to cabins to full houses. All over the country and I tend to use it whenever possible.

subzali
08-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Taylor Park, Crested Butte, etc....

Red_Chili
08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
For a more relaxed option, check out cabins at campgrounds in Lake City. Fun place. Southern Vittles is a great place for BBQ and catfish too. They often have a play with local actors that can be a hit with the family.

From there you can go over Cinnamon and Engineer passes to the Telluride/Ouray area, and back. Or pick up a map and do some light duty out and back wheeling and hiking.

cool breeze
08-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Lots of good suggestions here, its over whelming to narrow a place down. How about this;
where would you go if you want to go:
drive over some offroad passes with awesome scenery, nothing we cant wheel alone
maybe see some ghost towns or mines along the way
end up at lake to camp, hike and/or mtn bike, relax, and fish.
we will only have saturday and sunday night.

Im picky huh?