PDA

View Full Version : Useful Mod for 80 Series?

corsair23
09-04-2012, 03:15 PM
On MUD

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/612856-window-power-without-key-made-ez.html

Mod that makes your power windows (edit: and sunroof) still work even without the key...Not only is this something that I think I could do :hill:, but something that appeals to me. There are a lot of times when I'd like to put a window down, or up, but I don't have the key on me or I've already pulled the key out.

Any of the experts know of any reasons why this mod would be a bad idea or cause unintended issues :confused:

nakman
09-04-2012, 03:48 PM
That's sweet! Should call it the "FJ60 mod.." wasn't that the last body style with manual windows? :lmao:

nuclearlemon
09-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Easier to break into your car...pro and con

corsair23
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Easier to break into your car...pro and con

Because someone can hit the switch and put down the window with a tool from the outside? Might be a plus vs. having them smash the window so you're out the cost of new window glass on top of whatever else gets stolen :hill:

I was think residual voltage would be a concern but Phil tested for that and seemed to find nothing alarming...

For those of us with kids and an 80, you've probably been irked a few times by this circumstance. You pull in and shut off the truck, then you realize a window isn't up (usually one of the kids) so you go to put it up. Windows still go up even with the key out UNTIL a door is opened. Sure enough, one of the kids opens a door and the window(s) stops going up. So back in the key goes so you can put the window the rest of the way up :rolleyes: - it is the trivial things in life :hill:

DaveInDenver
09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Well, as far as working with the key out from a security aspect, manual crank windows don't stop working with the ignition off. :-)

One reason I could see this being a problem is that a stuck motor or short could run down your battery. Dunno chances of something going haywire though.

Corbet
09-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Dog rolls down your window or up?

nakman
09-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Dog rolls down your window or up?

Ah geez, so many options...

a. your dog's feet are way too big to worry about it
b. doesn't your angry dad/disable window button still work?
c. how did he get past that cargo barrier? :eek:
d. what's your dog doing sitting in the hot car, anyway.

I could go on, will stop there.. :lmao: :beer: :beer: :beer: