PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about moving to CO

kybrad
09-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Sent over here from the BlueRoom and was told to post up here. Happy to be on here and meet some new people. I've ran my own 4x4 club (Jeep and Toyotas) out here in KY for the last 5 years so finding an active, family friendly club like the one I run (president and co-founder) now will be important is this move does take place.

Copied over to here:

Ok, so short background on me. Born and raised in the Northern Kentucky area. Think 20 minutes south of Cincinnati, OH. Grew up here, friends are here, family is here, love it here. I have always been interested in the west coast though. I have met and talked to numerous people from CA, UT and CO. Everytime I talk to them or see pictures of where they live I get completely jealous and say "why can't I live there!"

So I got to thinking. Why can't I live out there? Well hell, Im young, I can live out there if I want to. I'm a 24 year old, college graduated, automotive salesperson (Chrysler Group). Single, no kids, no obligations, currently live in an apartment and have my yellow lab to keep me company.

The biggest thing for me is just up and leaving everything and everybody I know and moving to a place where everything, literally EVERYTHING will be new to me. The people, places, everything. But its one of those things where it feels like something I should do. I will continue to sell cars, make some new friends and continue wheeling but now in some of the nicest areas in the country.

This wouldn't happen until next spring or summer, but I want to start finding out information and contacting people early to get as much info as I can. So hence this thread. I need some info from the people of CO.

I'm thinking about moving to the Denver area. There are a couple really good dealership groups around the area that I could work at and continue to make great money. I would be renting an apartment but would like a complex that has garages to rent so I can work on my rig and keep my tools and other items in the garage (like I currently have). A condo would work as well if I can find one to rent for the first year.

Again, I'm single and have no real big responsibilities, but obviously don't want to break the bank either. Where are some good areas to look for someone like me? I want something nice and updated, but don't want to live in a shady part of town. I'm fine with a drive of 20 minutes or so to work if need be, so if its slightly out of town thats no problem. Also, if there are any dealership or dealer groups that anyone recommends I stay away from when applying places please let me know. There are a couple shady and not-so-honest dealers everywhere and I want to make sure to stay away from those places.

Where are some good areas for young people. Places to meet people and make some friends (other than the FJ peeps of course lol).

ANY info, recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated. Again, I am in the very early stages of researching but want to be fully knowledgable and ready before I take the plunge and drive 1200 miles west from my home

Thanks!!

-Brad

nuclearlemon
09-11-2012, 12:21 PM
"Ihave always been interested in the west coast though. I have met and talked to numerous people from CA, UT and CO"

you realize you only have one state correct if you're interested in the coast, right? we're a loooonnnnngggggg way away from the coasts.

because of our wonderful weather, you won't find a lot of mid range apartments with garages, especially ones big enough to work on anything in. don't know about high range apts...never looked at those. you'd be better off finding a house to rent with a garage. sometimes home rental isn't that much more than apts and you get many more benefits

kybrad
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
I wasn't actually referring to the "coast" lol More of out west. I live in KY but consider this the east coast lol

Anyway, after doing some research it looks like the option of renting a house might be where its at. Garage, my own space and all that for not more more than a nice apartment.

Jacket
09-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi Brad. Welcome to Rising Sun. Your story is similar to many folks, and how they ended up on Colorado. Being young and single, this is the perfect time to give it a try. You may decide in 2 years that Kentucky is the place to be, or 15 years from now you'll still be in Colorado with no regrets.

As for "where" - that's a tough call. The Denver area tends to be divided by "north" and "south", and it's not that fun to live on one side and have a job on the other. Lots of traffic and it could be an hour or more each way. Since we're mostly Toyota folks, there are several Toyota dealerships on the south side, and a couple on the north side. But dealerships tend to be clustered, so I'm sure there are Chrysler shops as well. And young folks are all over town, maybe more concentrated closer to downtown and some of the older neighborhood. But if you are looking for an apartment with a garage, you'll probably have to look at the suburbs.

Maybe you should come out to Denver for a long weekend and poke around a bit and see what tickles your fancy. You might like the hippies and manic outdoor life around Boulder, or maybe the yuppies around LoDo (do people still use the term "yuppie"?), or down south around Englewood or Centennial where you are close to the DTC (tech center) where there are tons of people and jobs.

And we have a RS member that moved here from Kentucky a few years ago. I'm sure he could give you some advice - send a PM to Art Volmer on the forum and see what he thinks.

baja1d
09-11-2012, 02:17 PM
You will not be disappointed with your move. It's been 12 years for me & I'm still finding new places to explore. I'm originally from the West Coast & I never want to go back. We're currently in SW Littleton renting a house and we really like it. We'll most likely be purchasing a house in the area when our lease is up. I'm with Ige regarding a house, most apartments don't have garages here. Regarding dealerships, most here would refer you to Stevenson Toyota. Good luck.

subzali
09-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Hey Brad, good to hear you're thinking of making the plunge out west! We've got a great club here in Denver, and great Toyota dealerships!

I live a few minutes from Go Toyota on Arapahoe Road, and this southern part of town - the Centennial, Greenwood Village Area (also called the "tech center") is pretty convenient for a lot of things. A couple decent representative apartment complexes in the area are Stratford Station and Sterling Point. Stratford Station doesn't have a garage, but I think the other does. The thing you'll need to know about renting in Denver is it's not cheap. Put together a budget to include that extra expense.

With you wanting to spend time in the mountains, you might want to check out Golden, Lakewood, and Littleton as well. Stevinson Toyota West is a good dealership (host of our monthly meetings) and there are many apartments with garages such as The Heights at Marston Lake to look at.

You could also look at the Louisville/Boulder area. College town, cute girls, close the mountains :D. Boulder Toyota is a good dealership too. Good luck!

Regarding the north/south thing, there's also an east/west divide, which is approximately east and west of I-25. Once you get onto the east side of I-25, you're starting to get a pretty decent distance away from the mountains, so weekend trips, skiing, all of that will cost you extra time to drive each way. Aurora is a suburb on the east side of I-25 that is a little more affordable to live in, but it doesn't have the best reputation for being a good place to live, unless you're in the southern portion, but you're basically in Kansas at that point :D.

Keep in mind that generally traffic flows into and out of downtown on a daily basis. So if you live on the west side you'll be stuck in traffic getting into downtown in the morning and getting home in the afternoon (and travelling into the sun both ways too BTW). If you live on the east side you'll be stuck in traffic but you won't be staring at the sun. Something to think about.

Also, from Fort Collins down to Pueblo is generally known as the Front Range. Just a term to keep in mind.

Woodsman
09-11-2012, 03:47 PM
BRADDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!! :hill:

You, sir, didn't waste time posting over here. Make sure and also ask who has the best and hottest hot wings in the Denver area. :eek:

Also, make sure when you start looking for a job that they will give you time off for Cruise Moab (first weekend in May along with the Thursday and Friday prior to it). This is priority. Otherwise, no deal. :lmao:

:cheers:

nuclearlemon
09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
south sucks...go north :D

kybrad
09-11-2012, 04:54 PM
BRADDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!! :hill:

You, sir, didn't waste time posting over here. Make sure and also ask who has the best and hottest hot wings in the Denver area. :eek:

Also, make sure when you start looking for a job that they will give you time off for Cruise Moab (first weekend in May along with the Thursday and Friday prior to it). This is priority. Otherwise, no deal. :lmao:

:cheers:

Shut your mouth James! lol

And yeah, who has the bestest and most awesomest hottest wings in the area? I'm a wing guy :beer::beer::beer::beer:

As far as time off, I think I'm going to move out probably in the beginning of May or June and take a month or 2 off to take in everything, get settled in...and well....wheel!!

J Kimmel
09-11-2012, 05:08 PM
in the car biz for a long time, if you make the move let me know where you think you want to work, I can give you the skinny and a contact or two.

:)

kybrad
09-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Hi Brad. Welcome to Rising Sun. Your story is similar to many folks, and how they ended up on Colorado. Being young and single, this is the perfect time to give it a try. You may decide in 2 years that Kentucky is the place to be, or 15 years from now you'll still be in Colorado with no regrets.

As for "where" - that's a tough call. The Denver area tends to be divided by "north" and "south", and it's not that fun to live on one side and have a job on the other. Lots of traffic and it could be an hour or more each way. Since we're mostly Toyota folks, there are several Toyota dealerships on the south side, and a couple on the north side. But dealerships tend to be clustered, so I'm sure there are Chrysler shops as well. And young folks are all over town, maybe more concentrated closer to downtown and some of the older neighborhood. But if you are looking for an apartment with a garage, you'll probably have to look at the suburbs.

Maybe you should come out to Denver for a long weekend and poke around a bit and see what tickles your fancy. You might like the hippies and manic outdoor life around Boulder, or maybe the yuppies around LoDo (do people still use the term "yuppie"?), or down south around Englewood or Centennial where you are close to the DTC (tech center) where there are tons of people and jobs.

And we have a RS member that moved here from Kentucky a few years ago. I'm sure he could give you some advice - send a PM to Art Volmer on the forum and see what he thinks.

I am planning a trip now to come out and check out the area. I'm trying to decide when the trip should be. I would like to do it sometime before the new year but don't obviously want to come out during the holidays. Was thinking maybe the first week in December? I would like to come out, check out the different areas and just take it all in. Any recommendation on when I should plan this weekend?

You will not be disappointed with your move. It's been 12 years for me & I'm still finding new places to explore. I'm originally from the West Coast & I never want to go back. We're currently in SW Littleton renting a house and we really like it. We'll most likely be purchasing a house in the area when our lease is up. I'm with Ige regarding a house, most apartments don't have garages here. Regarding dealerships, most here would refer you to Stevenson Toyota. Good luck.

After doing some research I am really leaning towards renting a house. I have been looking (and advised) to look in the south denver area, such as littleton and englewood. Any advice about that area?

Hey Brad, good to hear you're thinking of making the plunge out west! We've got a great club here in Denver, and great Toyota dealerships!

I live a few minutes from Go Toyota on Arapahoe Road, and this southern part of town - the Centennial, Greenwood Village Area (also called the "tech center") is pretty convenient for a lot of things. A couple decent representative apartment complexes in the area are Stratford Station and Sterling Point. Stratford Station doesn't have a garage, but I think the other does. The thing you'll need to know about renting in Denver is it's not cheap. Put together a budget to include that extra expense.

With you wanting to spend time in the mountains, you might want to check out Golden, Lakewood, and Littleton as well. Stevinson Toyota West is a good dealership (host of our monthly meetings) and there are many apartments with garages such as The Heights at Marston Lake to look at.

You could also look at the Louisville/Boulder area. College town, cute girls, close the mountains :D. Boulder Toyota is a good dealership too. Good luck!

Regarding the north/south thing, there's also an east/west divide, which is approximately east and west of I-25. Once you get onto the east side of I-25, you're starting to get a pretty decent distance away from the mountains, so weekend trips, skiing, all of that will cost you extra time to drive each way. Aurora is a suburb on the east side of I-25 that is a little more affordable to live in, but it doesn't have the best reputation for being a good place to live, unless you're in the southern portion, but you're basically in Kansas at that point :D.

Keep in mind that generally traffic flows into and out of downtown on a daily basis. So if you live on the west side you'll be stuck in traffic getting into downtown in the morning and getting home in the afternoon (and travelling into the sun both ways too BTW). If you live on the east side you'll be stuck in traffic but you won't be staring at the sun. Something to think about.

Also, from Fort Collins down to Pueblo is generally known as the Front Range. Just a term to keep in mind.

Thanks for the info! If I was so educated on Chrysler products and did so well with selling them I would consider a Toyota dealership. :cool:

south sucks...go north :D

Now I've heard the exact OPPOSITE! lol :cheers:

in the car biz for a long time, if you make the move let me know where you think you want to work, I can give you the skinny and a contact or two.

:)

That would be great man! I currently work for a one-store family dealership. We average with 8 sales people about 70-75 new a month. The biggest thing I love about my store is that we are very honest, and friendly. I would love a place like that out there. I have worked for the large, shady, "if I could would you" kind of places and prefer not to treat customers like animals. If you have any info or recommendations at all I will take them to the heart! Thanks!

Corbet
09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I personally don't care for the city life on the front range. You should plan some time to check out some smaller communities too like Grand Junction. Plenty of car business there. Also if your a skier you'll fast grow to hate I70 living in Denver. I did the car business for 6 years in the small towns. Way less hours

J Kimmel
09-11-2012, 06:15 PM
ya, if I was starting fresh I'd completely agree with Corbet, lots of better areas of the state to be in than the front rage :)

smslavin
09-11-2012, 06:36 PM
we just moved up here from san diego this past february. absolutely love it. no second thoughts and absolutely no desire to go back to CA for any reason. we're aren't necessarily in my ideal neighborhood but my wife and daughters love it and the school is great. personally, i'd love to be down near durango/silverton/telluride area. absolutely love it down there.

skiing might be interesting this winter but i bought an epic pass and my work schedule is pretty flexible so i'll be doing mostly mid week half day trips.

nuclearlemon
09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
lived in englewood for years. wouldn't live there now. crime's gotten worse and the traffic at any time has gotten hideous. hampden ave is a joke.

wesintl
09-11-2012, 08:26 PM
I hear montbello is nice. cheap and lots of night life. You have good access to I70 too

FJBRADY
09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I hear montbello is nice. cheap and lots of night life. You have good access to I70 too

Ditto

Corbet
09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Access to I-70 is not the issue. Its the bottle neck from Golden to Vail. But we have a separate thread for that mess.:o

Fishy
09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Do you play Fantasy Football? We're one short for a league that was supposed to start last week, but we couldn't get it full.

And....I have a good buddy that I work with who is from KY, now living in Evergreen. Just a little older than you. I wheeled with him today on Red Cone (his first time on that trail). He's got a super built Jeep. Once we got to the top of RC, he said he would NEVER go back to KY, even though his entire family is there....... it's just too nice here.

It's hard to leave home, and then sometimes it's hard to go back. We love it here and don't plan on leaving.

kybrad
09-11-2012, 09:53 PM
I personally don't care for the city life on the front range. You should plan some time to check out some smaller communities too like Grand Junction. Plenty of car business there. Also if your a skier you'll fast grow to hate I70 living in Denver. I did the car business for 6 years in the small towns. Way less hours

I've been looking at all the areas but really like Denver. Again, I need to come out and check it out, but thats the way I am leaning.

ya, if I was starting fresh I'd completely agree with Corbet, lots of better areas of the state to be in than the front rage :)

Where would you recommend and why?

lived in englewood for years. wouldn't live there now. crime's gotten worse and the traffic at any time has gotten hideous. hampden ave is a joke.

That bad? I have a good Jeep buddy of mine who lives in Englewood. I'll have to pick his brain on what he thinks. Any better parts south of the city?

I just did a quick look of Montbello. Looks like there is a nice wildlife area there. That would be nice. But it also looks like the airport is pretty damn close too.

Do you play Fantasy Football? We're one short for a league that was supposed to start last week, but we couldn't get it full.

And....I have a good buddy that I work with who is from KY, now living in Evergreen. Just a little older than you. I wheeled with him today on Red Cone (his first time on that trail). He's got a super built Jeep. Once we got to the top of RC, he said he would NEVER go back to KY, even though his entire family is there....... it's just too nice here.

It's hard to leave home, and then sometimes it's hard to go back. We love it here and don't plan on leaving.

I don't play fantasy football. Just the real, hit someone hard, kinda football. But thanks anyway! Yeah, thats what I think is going to happen. I would really like to set up a vaca that when I come out there might be a group that is wheeling that day that I could tag along with to get some views of the areas around. I'll pay for some fuel and lunch :D:D:D

rockrod
09-11-2012, 10:14 PM
For someone your age and single, boulder or fort Collins is the place to be. Also don't forget Durango.

I am a California transplant via Georgia, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, and finally Denver. I can't think of a better state to live. Make the move, you won't regret it.

nuclearlemon
09-11-2012, 10:18 PM
they're joking about montghetto. it's not a great neighborhood either, but at least you can drive in and out of there. i hate the entire south denver section. traffic sucks and it's full of pretentious pricks in bmws and audis. i'd go broomfield in denver metro area, or better still, farther up the i-25 corridor (longmont/loveland) for the front range.

ideally, i'd be on the western slope tho.

kybrad
09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up about montbello. Messin' with me already huh? lol :thefinger:

Some people from other forums have suggested Boulder as a good place for a young person. Good area?

gr8fulabe
09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Boulder is awesome, don't let the haters tell you other wise. I went to WKU & lived in bowling green for roughly 10 years. Come visit boulder & I'll help give you the grand tour.
Best
Abe

kybrad
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
I went to UK for a couple years and then graduated from NKU (Northern KY). WKU has the nicest campus in the state tho! I dated a chick who went there while I was at UK.

From what I have been hearing, Boulder will be on the list when I do come out for my visit. I will have to take you up on that offer and very much appreciate it as well!

simps80
09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
I split time (now 90% North but used to be almost 90% south) for work
both have positive attributes.

I went to high school in Arvada, college at CU boulder

have lived basically in north denver, westminster, and now far west arvada/golden south of boulder

each respective area has its own own charm and 'pluses' ....
if I was single with no kids I'd live near sloan's lake somewhere, a bit slightly north and east of there probably...then I'd move once that changed :-)

I echo the 'come visit and see what you like' sentiment, there's a lot that the 'front range' has to offer.

Ige's right, if you live in boulder you better own a subaru or volkswagen and if you live in highlands ranch you better own an audi or better and spend too much money on soccer or lacrosse... kidding...just kidding...:D;)

kybrad
09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
I drive a lifted FJ, covered in stickers, dent and wrinkles in the driver doors and will jam to country music and fly my UK Basketball flag. I should fit right in :D

corsair23
09-12-2012, 12:53 AM
My 2cents

People that live north love it (for the most part)...people that live south love it (for the most part)

But as mentioned getting from the north to the south and vice versa sucks most of the time due to traffic, unless you just like to drive...or sit in traffic

Boulder is nice but I wouldn't want to live there unless I worked up in the area. IMO the traffic up there is no better than anywhere else and getting from there to anywhere east and south equals a long commute. Hwy 36 always seems like gridlock.

Golden is nice (smaller town feel) but again getting east and south can be a bit frustrating but nowhere near as bad as Boulder.

Englewood? There are good portions of Englewood and bad portions. There are nice areas of Littleton, Centennial, Lakewood, etc. Don't forget the Castle Rock area as well.

Point being...once you land a job look for something relatively close to where you'll work if you can. There are a LOT of dealerships in the Denver metro area...Few are family owned though unless they are more specialty or used car dealerships. You might find somewhere similar to where you work now in Grand Junction or other smaller towns but I don't know if any exist in the Denver metro area...

Being in car sales I'd think you'd want to be in a larger city. Colorado Springs isn't bad. Grand Junction isn't bad either. Different weather on the west slope (Grand Junction) vs. eastern slope/plains (Denver, Ft Collins, Colorado Springs). Of course if you love the outdoors then a mountain town might be ideal.

Don't let the Highlands Ranch haters scare you away :hill: - Sure we spend a lot on our kids' sports like soccer but if you like to hike, ride bikes, etc. it has a lot to offer. But IMO it is a more "family oriented" section of the metro area than other areas...Not a lot of "night life" down this way :)

subzali
09-12-2012, 09:16 AM
The Springs is full of Air Force dudes (i.e. high competition), and while you're young and single I wouldn't consider Castle Rock. Great family town though.

Another area to look in Denver is around Washington Park. Lots of young adults, more volleyball games than you can shake a stick at during the summer. Rent is pretty high, and you have to like the semi-urban lifestyle, but it's close to DU so there's lots of college and post-college chicks around there too :D

If I worked in Golden, I would love to live there. But there's a saying about Mines girls...:rolleyes:

OilHammer
09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I moved here from NC (originally from ATL) and can shed some insight on Colorado from an east coaster's perspective.

It's dry dry dry here. That's really why I left the south, I just couldn't take the humidity any longer. But....when we go months with no rain, and the mountains are all brown, it is a little depressing compared to the smokies.

The people moving here from California always love it. They are used to the brown, and they are moving away from the congestion, the cost, and the radical politics of Kali. They tend to wind up with similar weather, but a much better lifestyle. Call it California lite, with Boulder being a bit more like Kali than Denver.

People moving here from where you are tend to struggle more. It costs more here, it can be more congested (depends on which city you are moving from) particularly if you like the mountains and try to make that commute every weekend. I-70 through the hills can be a real beotch quite often. Factor in an entire family left behind, and I see lots of people move back within a few years.

At your age, I would try it out. Lots of people your age are....some stay, some go. As sub said, washington park is incredible for your age group. I live right down the street and wished I had known about that place when I was young and single. Rent here is stiff tho....my first rental house was $1600/mo and that was a DEAL.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum.

my .02

I am a Cali transplant back from 93. You should definitely check out Boulder but also being more central may pay off if you like the outdoors, because you can hop on I25 to I70 and be on your way in minutes.

You might try the DU (Denver University) area of Evans and University or the Capital hill area closer to downtown. Tons of young people in both areas and some good nightlife.

Stay clear of burbs, like Highlands Ranch or Broomfield, Northglenn, Aurora. These areas are family life central and might be boring for now..

kybrad
09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Great information guys! I really appreciate it. I am writing all of this down and making notes on places to live, hang out, work and stay away from. Looks like everything loves their own little piece of the pie so I will have to come out here soon and decide which piece I want :p:

farnhamstj
09-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Living in the city sucks. I'm with Corbet. If you're moving to Colorado, then move to Colorado. Live in the mountains. Check out Durango, Summit County, Eagle County, and Glenwood.

I'm sure I'll get hate mail for this, but if it's east of the foothills.... might as well be Kansas.

subzali
09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah, if he can find a good dealership to work for in the mtns., then by all means. Gunnison, Breckenridge/Frisco, Glenwood, etc. Grand Junction/Montrose too.

J Kimmel
09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Living in the city sucks. I'm with Corbet. If you're moving to Colorado, then move to Colorado. Live in the mountains. Check out Durango, Summit County, Eagle County, and Glenwood.

I'm sure I'll get hate mail for this, but if it's east of the foothills.... might as well be Kansas.

ya right, as soon as the right opportunity comes along I'm heading west :)

Corbet
09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, if he can find a good dealership to work for in the mtns., then by all means. Gunnison, Breckenridge/Frisco, Glenwood, etc. Grand Junction/Montrose too.

That's the trick. kybrad, PM me if you want to discuss any specifics on dealerships in the Durango area or Summit County. Those are the two towns I did the big dealer gigs.

No hate mail from me. Glenwood is another place with a number of dealers. Want to sell Nobles to Aspen billionaires?:rolleyes: But honestly there are most manufactures represented there.

The biggest problem with most of the desirable mountain communities is cost of living. If you can deal with that, you'll never look back.

Noble, for those not in the know...

wesintl
09-12-2012, 08:40 PM
But there's a saying about Mines girls...:rolleyes:

what's that? you have a better change of scoring with your roomate?:eek:

kybrad
09-12-2012, 08:55 PM
hmmmm, tell me more of this place you call Durango lol

rockrod
09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Durango is a college town in the winter and the mother load of outdoor sports year round. Lots of younger folks but employment can be tough to find. That's why I moved and ended up in Orlando working for Disney. At any rate, you need to fix on the places where there are people your age. Everyone has mentioned some great places. The challenge is finding one you can afford, stay employed, and have exposed to others your age. It ain't easy in this state.

kybrad
09-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Hmmm, not looking to be around a bunch of 17-21 yr olds most of the year. I've been there, enjoyed the parties and hang overs. I'll stick to the Denver area. I can tell everyone on here loves where they live or have lived in CO. I have gotten a bunch of good info and hope to continue to hear some stuff from you guys. The most important things to me are being in an affordable area, being close to work, and being within driving distance to some great wheeling. I could tell you on here that living in the mountains in western CO is exactly what I want, but from the sounds of it, maybe I will leave that part of the state to trips and visiting.

kybrad
09-12-2012, 10:09 PM
A couple other things that I need to look into, and maybe some of you guys and gals have some insight. Over the last year I have been trying to get back into going to church. I will be looking for a good christian church wherever I move. Also, I am a very active free mason. I am an officer at my lodge here in KY and moving to CO I will definitely want to find a lodge that I like and one that clicks well for me. Any info on any either or those would be awesome too. Thanks!

Corbet
09-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Durango has a small college but it does not take over the town in the winter. Its more a tourist town than college town. Auto sales is limited, but the big 3 are all here split between two dealerships. Toyota is with Ford. Nissan sits on its own. Handful of independent used. The natural gas industry is what really keeps the money flowing down here.

Its a great mountain community and as mentioned a mecca for outdoor endeavors. Resort skiing is not as good as some other places but the backcountry is very good. Moab is a 1/2 tank of fuel away. The San Juan's offer some of the most scenic wheeling in the state but not real hard.

I can't offer any help much with church or the Masons. We have many churches and I think I know where the Mason's lodge is. But that's all I know.

Because the ski resort is a 30 min drive north housing costs are similar to good areas on the front range.

Uncle Ben
09-13-2012, 08:57 AM
A couple other things that I need to look into, and maybe some of you guys and gals have some insight. Over the last year I have been trying to get back into going to church. I will be looking for a good christian church wherever I move. Also, I am a very active free mason. I am an officer at my lodge here in KY and moving to CO I will definitely want to find a lodge that I like and one that clicks well for me. Any info on any either or those would be awesome too. Thanks!

Check out Flatirons Church (http://www.flatironschurch.com/) on line. Kick butt modern non denominational church. Our kids lured us there and we stayed! Basically a rock concert every weekend with a great "Me too" sermon! Do have to warn you that it's big and growing! Seems no one leaves after visiting.....