PDA

View Full Version : 70 Series envy?

Corbet
09-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Anyone else have some serious 70 Series envy after reading the Sept/Oct issue of Toyota Trails? I've had a case of it for some time, but the recent magazine seemed to have way more 70's than average. Some sort of subliminal thing going on there.:confused: The mustard colored on the cover is almost hypnotizing to me. :drool:

simps80
09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
I still haven't received my sept/oct issue ... I guess I should have by now...??

kybrad
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I finally joined today. Covered for the next 3 years!

:pirate:

subzali
09-12-2012, 08:11 AM
I've had 70 series envy for years...:(

PabloCruise
09-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Why did the one on the cover have Wyoming plates?

Don't tell me the wind blew it all the way to Anarctica!

Caribou Sandstorm
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
:drool:

from the expo portal

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk190/seandaly/untitled.jpg

from my Costa Rica trip in June... :drool: :drool:

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Costa-Rica-June-2012/i-XtTHjs8/0/L/DSCF1053-L.jpg

subzali
09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Mmmm..VDJ76. Nice.

wesintl
09-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm over it :p

Corbet
09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Mmmm..VDJ76. Nice.

I don't think VDJ76 as there is not scoop for the intercooler. So I'm guessing some other power plant?

I'm over it :p

I should have said long wheel base 70 series. Yours is :cool: but not practical for me. I need room for the family. So I can understand why your getting over it.

wesintl
09-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I should have said long wheel base 70 series.

pickups and troopies aren't practical for a family either. The only one is the 4 door.

OilHammer
09-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Yup, that's my choice right there. Basically an updated and narrowed 60 series look....but diesel of course. :)

Corbet
09-12-2012, 07:51 PM
pickups and troopies aren't practical for a family either. The only one is the 4 door.

I could get by with a Troopie as long as M's vehicle could be the primary. I got in and out of a 2door station wagon growing up, so could Bridger with a Troopie.

nakman
09-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Just read a nice story on CU's alumni page... http://www.cualum.org/2012/09/11/thirteen-days-in-the-bush/

http://www.cualum.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/lions.jpg

DenCo40
09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
As soon as I saw the 70 on the cover I started researching ways to get one in the states. After looking around at EXPO and other sites I realized I will either have to move out of the country or just continue enjoying what I have.

Corbet
09-13-2012, 12:15 PM
No you just need to supply a fat wallet and find a LHD 15yr old truck to import. Then fix all that is wrong with said 15yr old truck and enjoy.

subzali
09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
no You Just Need To Supply A Fat Wallet And Find A Lhd 15yr Old Truck To Import. Then Fix All That Is Wrong With Said 15yr Old Truck And Enjoy.

Corbet
09-13-2012, 01:58 PM

25 if RHD my understanding

njtacoma
09-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I understood 25 years to be the US regulation.

15 to be Canadian regulation. No mention of RHD or LHD in the regs.

It has been a few years since I seriously looked into it.

-Neil

Corbet
09-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I might have had it confused with that.

bh4rnnr
09-15-2012, 10:05 AM
I could get by with a Troopie as long as M's vehicle could be the primary. I got in and out of a 2door station wagon growing up, so could Bridger with a Troopie.

The Troopies didnt bother me all that much....

:D

Uncle Ben
09-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Raider Reach Technology...

Corbet
09-25-2012, 07:32 PM
3-door Troopy. The solution for the family guy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Landcruiser-Troopy-4x4-Diesel-4-2-litre-Manual-8-seats-side-door-/251154706163?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3a79fcaef3#ht_500wt_1212

Complete with forward facing 2nd/3rd row seating. My soccer dad rig.

OilHammer
09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
3 door....hmmm....never seen one of those

bigcity25
10-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I saw this while on vacation in Norway last week. They were advertising "Doctors without borders" I was more interested in the cruiser. The guy said its a great truck accept they didn't have the cold weather package on it. Starting was a chore in the mornings without a block heater. Sorry for the bad pics, used my iPhone and had a lot of glare from the sun.

OilHammer
10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Found this little gem in Italy last week. LHD, manual, diesel, 2 dr landcruiser. I'm pretty sure this is aka Prado, but it didn't say it anywhere on it.
My wife's maiden name is Prado, so we thought it was funny. Meh...

Brochure on it: http://www.toyota.it/cars/new_cars/land_cruiser/ebrochure.tmex.brochure
And web: http://www.toyota.it/cars/new_cars/land_cruiser/index.tmex

Think of it as what the FJ cruiser really should have been if it wasn't going to be a 70 series variant.
If you skipped the diesel, I bet you could import this in a snap by showing how it's really just a Lexus. Diesel would be a bit tricky. Funny though, as to why nobody thinks to import from Italy. Everything in Italy is LHD and a manual. Most things are diesel, and most people there speak English pretty well. And if you like D90's holy....those things are everywhere. Modern 60th anniv D90's too.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
That pic with Mary looks like a retro car add!

subzali
10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Here's your new 70 series ads...

i4CcAzTOgDA

MountainGoat
10-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Awesome! :hill:

cruiseroutfit
10-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Rad!

Corbet
10-30-2012, 07:29 PM
If only they could apply their tag line "Land Cruiser, its newer not softer" to our market.

subzali
11-08-2012, 07:22 AM
I spy a 70 series...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wUefLwIgFkM/UJrsgbMiqmI/AAAAAAAACgg/BIHmEVa2gM4/s1600/2012-2013+Antarctica+Nov+8+013.JPG

OilHammer
11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
If only they could apply their tag line "Land Cruiser, its newer not softer" to our market.

No kidding. None of those ads would fly here, but oh man, they should. Funny how Toyota allows that with how conservative they are.

Whew....I can imagine the backlash and apology campaign for that first one. Lol.

Jacket
12-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Wish I could go to a lot here in the US and test drive one of these....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/671992-my-new-lc-76-1hz.html

OilHammer
12-21-2012, 12:28 PM
No kidding

Corbet
12-22-2012, 06:20 AM
Wish I could go to a lot here in the US and buy one of these....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/671992-my-new-lc-76-1hz.html

Fixed it for you

cruiseroutfit
12-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Devil's advocate...

While the HZJ is a killer motor, few outside of the Cruiserhead community would want one. While we all wish Toyota would build and market just to us, its not happening :D

However, the VDJ (V8 Turbo-diesel) is something I feel the US consumers would buy, now would they buy it at the est $80k USD price tag? Tough call. What about a GRJ76, i.e. the same motor as the US spec Tacoma and FJ Cruiser however instead in the 4dr 70 Series wagon chassis (making it a 76). I was shocked to know they exist and are quite peppy and popular in their markets. There is absolutely zero reason Toyota couldn't streamline these into the US in my opinion, the engine is already EPA certified, and the chassis/body should be easy enough to get through fed DOT considering it meets more stringent Euro specs. But at an est. $60k USD price tag, would it sell enough for Toyota to import? There are substantial costs with bringing a vehicle into the US, parts supplies, tech training, federal safety mandates, etc. Would they sell?

Caribou Sandstorm
12-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Devil's advocate...

While the HZJ is a killer motor, few outside of the Cruiserhead community would want one. While we all wish Toyota would build and market just to us, its not happening :D

However, the VDJ (V8 Turbo-diesel) is something I feel the US consumers would buy, now would they buy it at the est $80k USD price tag? Tough call. What about a GRJ76, i.e. the same motor as the US spec Tacoma and FJ Cruiser however instead in the 4dr 70 Series wagon chassis (making it a 76). I was shocked to know they exist and are quite peppy and popular in their markets. There is absolutely zero reason Toyota couldn't streamline these into the US in my opinion, the engine is already EPA certified, and the chassis/body should be easy enough to get through fed DOT considering it meets more stringent Euro specs. But at an est. $60k USD price tag, would it sell enough for Toyota to import? There are substantial costs with bringing a vehicle into the US, parts supplies, tech training, federal safety mandates, etc. Would they sell?

I sure like th 60k price tag better and even moded the FJC and 4th gen had plenty of power. Gas mielage, I could fill up in Denver and make it to Moab on one tank..It was a stretch but I could make it.

DaveInDenver
12-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Nope, $60K would not sell. I would pay for a diesel Tacoma, although it's been several years since I've been in a dealership and I'm assuming that to be in the $35K range. I'm lead to understand that my idea of what cars should-vs-actually-do cost is skewed. My perception is based upon the fact that we paid $5K used for our truck almost 13 years ago and $6K for our second hand Jetta 6 years ago, so $30K seems like an awful lot to begin with.

MDH33
12-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Seems like G Wagons sell here and they cost even more, so why wouldn't an 80k cruiser sell? There are plenty of rich trophy wives that need expensive mall cruisers. :p:

Jacket
12-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Does the current 200 series sell enough to justify importing it? It seems unlikely, yet Toyota is sticking with it (for now). I wonder if Toyota foresees a time in the near future when no LC is sold in this market, and the Lexus sticks around and gets pimped up a bit more - possibly based on the Sequoia platform rather than the LC?

In the current US market, SUV's in the 60-80k range with a diesel motor puts you in the luxury lineup: Audi A7, Mercedes, Porsche. 45-60k gets you an BMW X5 or probably our "best" SUV comparison - the VW Touareg. Or you can get a full size 3/4 or 1 Ton pickup like the super badass (based on factory equipment) Power Wagon.

If you are a woman in this country, would you rather have a LC 70-series with it's relatively spartan/dated designs, or a Mercedes/Audi/Porsche?

If you are a man (not a man on this forum, but a man in the break room at your job), would you buy a VDJ76, or an F350 fully decked out inside and out?

All that said, it feels to me like the Diesel market is gaining small amounts of momentum around here. I've seen BMW pimping the new X5 diesel, Porsche has the new Cayenne diesel, and VW seems to have most TDI's on the streets (mostly Jetta's though). The marketing line is not "clean diesel", or "MPG's" - it's the range: 700+ miles per tank. The Germans continue to lead the way. I wonder if any of the Japanese or US brands will attempt to compete?

Sorry - this is not a diesel debate thread and I'm taking the chat way off topic. But I've had 3 cups of coffee and a good night's sleep. :ranger: :D

Caribou Sandstorm
12-23-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't think your heading off topic in the least and if you were, so what. It's your club and forum too... I See your cups of coffee and raise you one..:D

DaveInDenver
12-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Seems like G Wagons sell here and they cost even more, so why wouldn't an 80k cruiser sell? There are plenty of rich trophy wives that need expensive mall cruisers. :p:
G classes sell in roughly 200 series annual numbers, both of which are fractions of Tacomas and probably close to the weekly Corolla/Civic sales.

G Wagon (http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mercedes-benz-g-class-sales-figures.html)

200 Series (http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/toyota-land-cruiser-sales-figures.html)

Taco (http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/toyota-tacoma-sales-figures.html)

cruiseroutfit
12-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Great comments guys.

I think Toyota has the 200 Series here because they have to have a flag-ship, top of the line, cream of the crop. Here in the US it only comes completely loaded and catered towards the luxury price tag. I think that is a big reason Toyota skipped the US with the newer 7x models, those in the market for a $80k Cruiser are not going to choose the model with a manual trans, a smell diesel and no seat heaters :D The 200 is a very capable vehicle and I think as price drop it will be a near identical transition for 100 Series owners just as 100's were for many, many 80's. The limited US sales numbers will limit that to some degree but I think Cruiserheads will buy them up as budgets allow. Having built a handful of them for customers, I'd own one in a heartbeat if I could afford to, in the meantime the 100 will have to do :D

Again, I'm a huge, huge fan of the 70 Series rigs, I have a BJ74 that I absolutely love, spent a grip of time driving the 78's and 79's in the US, Russia and Aussie and do think they are the most Land Cruiser product Toyota offers... I just don't know that that they would work here in the US on the scale Toyota would need them to at the price Toyota has to have for them?

Older 7x's (25+ year and even some younger grey markets) are widely available here stateside but people balk at the $15-25k price range they fetch. I think they would feel the same way if Toyota had a $60k GRJ76, it would be compared to the Jeep JK by the masses.

subzali
12-24-2012, 09:45 AM
...If you are a woman in this country, would you rather have a LC 70-series with it's relatively spartan/dated designs, or a Mercedes/Audi/Porsche?

I don't think it only applies to women. I had never seen the 76 series from the rear, but I agree with your statement above. I'm not too impressed with it. Personally I like the looks of the new 4runner a lot better, and the looks of the 80 and (gasp) the 100 better too.

A VDJ79 pickup would be pretty sweet though.

Caribou Sandstorm
12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Great comments guys.

I think Toyota has the 200 Series here because they have to have a flag-ship, top of the line, cream of the crop. Here in the US it only comes completely loaded and catered towards the luxury price tag. I think that is a big reason Toyota skipped the US with the newer 7x models, those in the market for a $80k Cruiser are not going to choose the model with a manual trans, a smell diesel and no seat heaters :D The 200 is a very capable vehicle and I think as price drop it will be a near identical transition for 100 Series owners just as 100's were for many, many 80's. The limited US sales numbers will limit that to some degree but I think Cruiserheads will buy them up as budgets allow. Having built a handful of them for customers, I'd own one in a heartbeat if I could afford to, in the meantime the 100 will have to do :D

Again, I'm a huge, huge fan of the 70 Series rigs, I have a BJ74 that I absolutely love, spent a grip of time driving the 78's and 79's in the US, Russia and Aussie and do think they are the most Land Cruiser product Toyota offers... I just don't know that that they would work here in the US on the scale Toyota would need them to at the price Toyota has to have for them?

Older 7x's (25+ year and even some younger grey markets) are widely available here stateside but people balk at the $15-25k price range they fetch. I think they would feel the same way if Toyota had a $60k GRJ76, it would be compared to the Jeep JK by the masses.

Kurt you are closer to this than most of us... Your last comment is what I wonder about, with the popularity of the Jeep and I don't know the numbers for sales, but it makes you wonder why Toyota would not want their share of that market, especially with the popularity of the FJC.

cruiseroutfit
12-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Kurt you are closer to this than most of us... Your last comment is what I wonder about, with the popularity of the Jeep and I don't know the numbers for sales, but it makes you wonder why Toyota would not want their share of that market, especially with the popularity of the FJC.

I can only assume the brains in Toyota have figured that the potential profit they would make by gaining some share of that market (albeit a small number at $60k+) is outweighed by the cost of entry for a new platform in the US market. I remember talking to a Toyota exec about the cost of roll-out for a new model, this isn't anything related to the actual cost of the vehicle/production but things like training, sales material, parts inventory, EPA/DOT testing, tariffs/taxes, etc and it was a pretty wild number. We were discussing why the 200 has been a low seller in the US and why its a $80k vehicle. Of course maybe they just do it to torture us :D

Corbet
12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
I think Kurt just hit it on the head. Setting aside the price point. There must be enough demand to justify training all the dealerships in both sales and service to introduce the vehicle state side. Granted that could be lessened with the use of a shared drivetrain. But for the diesels that would required a large investment by Toyota. All we can hope IMO is that Toyota decides to go diesel with truck based vehicle to make their cafe numbers in the near future. Making the VDJ76 an easier transition down the road. But it looks like we are destined for more hybrid vehicles from Toyota and probably just gas trucks for a while.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-14-2013, 09:54 AM

Check out what I found at Toyota of Gibraltar.... I think this is a new offering...

http://ecom.toyota-gib.com/images/Database/1446.jpg

http://ecom.toyota-gib.com/images/Database/1447.jpg

Also it has been confirmed, 2014 is the last year for the FJC, there is a thread over in the Expo Portal about it and Scott Brady mentioned something about the Globalization of the auto industry and what does that mean for us and the 70 series????

Would be awesome to have these available... dreaming i Know.

http://ecom.toyota-gib.com/images/Database/938.jpg

FJBRADY
06-14-2013, 10:13 AM
But it looks like we are destined for more hybrid vehicles from Toyota and probably just gas trucks for a while.

This is correct. I spoke to a Lexus service manager last month who has been with Lexus since the brand originated and there are no plans to bring a diesel to the US and cannibalize hybrid sales.

I do believe we will see more and more diesel's from other brands making it to the US, in fact VW has a diesel hybrid sedan in the works. Once domestic manufacturer's start putting a 3.0 diesel in full size pickups, SUV's and seeing 30 MPG +, being able to tow 9K and there is an adoption here in the US for diesel powered sedans upsetting the hybrid market you will then see Toyota import diesel powered vehicles.

It's all about market share and $.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-14-2013, 11:11 AM
This is correct. I spoke to a Lexus service manager last month who has been with Lexus since the brand originated and there are no plans to bring a diesel to the US and cannibalize hybrid sales.

I do believe we will see more and more diesel's from other brands making it to the US, in fact VW has a diesel hybrid sedan in the works. Once domestic manufacturer's start putting a 3.0 diesel in full size pickups, SUV's and seeing 30 MPG +, being able to tow 9K and there is an adoption here in the US for diesel powered sedans upsetting the hybrid market you will then see Toyota import diesel powered vehicles.

It's all about market share and $.

Hopefully that will be around the time I am ready to get a new rig...:)

Jacket
06-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Speaking of global vehicles, Mercedes continues to produce the G Wagen here in the US despite it's boxy looks, high center of gravity and relatively poor on-road manners.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-G/model-G550

Fully equipped with rigid front and rear axles, center, front and rear locking differentials, and a coil sprung suspension, it's really a great platform for off road travel. But at $113k, it's a bit out of reach for you and me until it has passed through several owners' hands. But Mercedes continues to produce these trucks and import them into the US market as a niche vehicle.

I like this lady's review. She is very cautious not to say anything too negative because it's a Mercedes, and after all most US elitists are enamored by the Mercedes brand. Similar reviews of the 200 series always get pointedly negative feedback about the "truck parts" of the vehicle.

http://money.cnn.com/video/pf/2013/06/12/pf-w-mercedes-benz-g-550.cnnmoney/index.html

Unfortunately the US market doesn't feel the same way about the Toyota brand like they do with Mercedes, so a $75000 70 series won't have the same appeal, especially without all the Mercedes finishing touches. Maybe Toyota should produce a Lexus version, improve some of the exterior styling, and sell a 70 series Lexus for $100k to compete with the G Wagen? :)

wesintl
06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Hopefully that will be around the time I am ready to get a new rig...:)

doubtful in 2mos... :lmao:

Caribou Sandstorm
06-14-2013, 01:38 PM
doubtful in 2mos... :lmao:

:D:p:

DaveInDenver
06-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel. VW has proved a TDI sedan is popular, so not a huge surprise it's gonna come down to hybrid or diesel in the future. Hard to say in passenger cars whether hybrids or diesels (why not a diesel hybrid), but I can't see hybrids being useful in truck. So wonder if a diesel Colorado is far behind, now that would be interesting.

http://media.chevrolet.com/content/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/May/0207-debuts-of-cruze-diesel.html

OilHammer
06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Interesting quote: "With a starting price at $25,695, including a $810 destination charge, Cruze Diesel comes with a six-speed automatic transmission, four-wheel antilock disc brakes, 3.20 final drive ratio, 140-amp alternator, 800 cold-cranking amps battery, 17-inch alloy wheels, ultra-low-rolling resistance all-season tires, rear spoiler, Aero Performance Package and leather-appointed seating."

Why diesel economy cars still come in an automatic is beyond me. Maybe that's a misprint, but if you can't work a clutch, at least offer a PDK type manual tranny that's far more efficient than the old autos. The other odd thing there, is the alternator. Damn, 140amps for a diesel? Good lord...what are they powering in that?

smslavin
06-14-2013, 02:54 PM
G Wagen

Those things are rad. Tons of room inside and very capable. If you've got the cash for one, you might as well just go all the way and get the AMG version or this one... :thumb:

eKhmivp64sA

subzali
06-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Check out what I found at Toyota of Gibraltar.... I think this is a new offering...

http://ecom.toyota-gib.com/images/Database/1446.jpg

http://ecom.toyota-gib.com/images/Database/1447.jpg

Yes, I believe the double cap pickup was new for the 2013 model year, even though the 70 series has been around since 1985 - a 28 year run! Now that its run has outlasted even the FJ40's long 22 year run (1962 to 1984), I wonder how much longer it's going to last before Toyota will have to make a model change? I wonder what number they're going to go with?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/608828-i-f-ing-hate-australia-toyota-right-now.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/608616-its-here-new-dual-cab.html

Jacket
08-25-2014, 02:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/toyotas-most-rugged-land-cruiser-085725988.html

Jacket
08-25-2014, 02:36 PM
hEwSanVXomY

DanS
08-25-2014, 03:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/toyotas-most-rugged-land-cruiser-085725988.html

$35,000 for the wagon, and $34,000 for the double cab pickup, according to the article.

Remind me again why these aren't available here? I'd head to the dealer TOMORROW if this was available.

Dan

wesintl
08-25-2014, 04:07 PM
I hope the Japanese by the **** out of them so they reconsider other markets.

It's very interesting though because it appears to be consumer driven demand and Toyota knows no one in japan truly needs a 70 series to get from A to B. It's a Toy not a tool. That opens the door to other markets where people want toys as well. The largest consumer market of toys... the US

A Land Cruiser is a toy for a big boy, those adults who never grow up,

DaveInDenver
08-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Remind me again why these aren't available here?
Because without 15 air bags, rearview cameras and ABS we'll all die in horrible, fiery crashes while simultaneously choking the very air from the lungs of baby seals.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/

OilHammer
08-26-2014, 09:19 AM
They all have front airbags now, but I don't believe they have the curtains. I "think" it would be easy enough to add seats that have side air bags, but I doubt they would ever modify the pillars to contain the drop downs like the 100's and 200's.

Even if they got them airbag complaint for current standards, its the EPA that kills them. IIRC, the diesel standards in the US keep moving and are set to again soon. As long as that continues, why would a manufacturer spend the cash to develop an engine system that will be out of compliance in a year? California isn't helping things here either. http://forcechange.com/1141/california-passes-toughest-diesel-emissions-standards-in-us/

Jacket
08-26-2014, 09:40 AM
In this case it sounds like the 70's will be equipped with the 1GR-FE, which is already alive and well as a power plant in the US.

Are side-curtain air bags now required in all new vehicles? I haven't really kept up with the safety stuff.

wesintl
08-26-2014, 10:21 AM
why would a manufacturer spend the cash to develop an engine system that will be out of compliance in a year?

VW, mercedes, audi, bmw, and the big 3 don't seem to have an issue with it

OilHammer
08-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Toyota would have to put that motor in Tacoma, Tundra, 4 runner, FJC, etc. before they got enough volume potential to pull it off. If they just put it in the 70, it would be a losing deal. Should they? I think so, but a 1HZ isn't going to fly with a Tundra buyer and I don't know if it would fit in a Tacoma/FJC. The engine that makes sense is the D4D like what's in Costa Rica trucks. That also won't fly in the Tundra, but I would take one in a 70 in a heartbeat.
http://www.toyota.ie/innovation/engines/d-4d/

subzali
08-26-2014, 11:02 AM
They would probably have to do the D-4D (Tacoma etc.) and the 1VD-FTV (70 series/Tundra) to get a broad enough taste of Toyota diesels in the market for people to bite. But that's double the work. And even then I'm not sure how the 1VD-FTV compares to American diesels in terms of power. It might be like comparing the 2UZ to the 5.3/5.7 and 6.0 V8s in American vehicles. Always "undersized," always "underpowered."

DaveInDenver
08-26-2014, 11:53 AM
VW, mercedes, audi, bmw, and the big 3 don't seem to have an issue with it
European diesels do well, the the VW TDI and the Mercedes Bluetec have no trouble working here. Same could be said of Ford, Toyota, Nissan. The cars they sell in Europe wouldn't take much effort to work in the U.S. I don't know why manufacturers don't think diesel would do well here, VW can't keep TDIs in stock. It's like stick shift Tacomas, rare used and even almost impossible to test drive since the dealers don't get many and they sell quickly. But double cab automatics are all over. I'm waiting for VW to sell a diesel hybrid and embarrass everyone with 60 MPG in a Jetta.

Corbet
08-26-2014, 10:13 PM
CAFE as well as other government regs will continue to make a 70 series a pipe dream for us. Too much BS to comply with to really get what we want. A gaser V6 is probably the only thing we could ever hope for but even that is a stretch.

Have to buy one piece by piece and reassemble as a home build. But the price of that makes it out of reach for the majority who would want such a truck.

DanS
08-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Because without 15 air bags, rearview cameras and ABS we'll all die in horrible, fiery crashes while simultaneously choking the very air from the lungs of baby seals.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/

I know right? I almost died about 20 times yesterday driving my '65 Binder. I was terrified the whole time.

Dan

subzali
08-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Figured I'd better post this in two places, since most of the Cruisers in this video are 70 series.

HqtxvWeOot4

OilHammer
08-28-2014, 08:29 AM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/for-1-year-toyota-will-sell-a-brand-new-30-year-old-land-cruiser

OilHammer
08-28-2014, 08:32 AM
hEwSanVXomY

Jacket
08-28-2014, 09:13 AM
That R&T article pretty much sums it up.

Corbet
08-28-2014, 11:15 AM
That R&T article pretty much sums it up.

Sums up why the general public would not be interested in the truck. At least with the V6 Gas. Otherwise almost all other comments could be applied to the JK as well.

I still think Toyota should drop the 200 out of the Toyota line and replace it with the 70. Keep the 200 under the Lexus label as that is where its most appealing in our market for the masses. Well the masses with $100K laying around.:roll eyes:

I'd happily pay $50-60K for a diesel powered 70 wagon with only the basic of creature comforts. (like an 80 basically)

Caribou Sandstorm
08-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Yes, I believe the double cap pickup was new for the 2013 model year, even though the 70 series has been around since 1985 - a 28 year run! Now that its run has outlasted even the FJ40's long 22 year run (1962 to 1984), I wonder how much longer it's going to last before Toyota will have to make a model change? I wonder what number they're going to go with?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/608828-i-f-ing-hate-australia-toyota-right-now.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/608616-its-here-new-dual-cab.html

I really, really want one of these...

I have been looking at these all week online.

I also just read that in Feb. 2014, they announced the closure of making Toyotas in Australia in 2017..

Too Bad Toyota doesn't want to keep the plant open to make their diesels and ship them here...

Wonder if these wheels are 17" and if I can get them here in the US, somehow....

sleeoffroad
08-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Just build one :)

OilHammer
08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
That's about the only legal way to do it. You could buy an 80 with a title and good frame for next to nothing, then go buy your brand new 70 and dismantle it. Ship in three parts all at very different times. Body first. Frame and rolling gear. Last the engine. You cannot just reassemble it when here, but you can hold the parts.
To keep it legal, you are supposed to keep the 80 frame, but you can do an engine swap to a 1hz next year when the series becomes old enough. Although, I seem to remember that engine swaps have to be same year or newer than the vehicle, which would mean the 1HZ won't be legal in an 80 until 1991 and in a 1991 truck.

Better yet, import a LHD 70 series out of Denmark or other country (Denmark is kind of expensive) and repeat the above process. At least that way, it will have a diesel title, 70 series designation, etc. Then just swap the body out and park that new frame and engine for 25 yrs then flop them back over. lol

wesintl
08-28-2014, 03:03 PM
I also just read that in Feb. 2014, they announced the closure of making Toyotas in Australia in 2017..

Too Bad Toyota doesn't want to keep the plant open to make their diesels and ship them here...

They only made petrol and hybrid motors, and the only cars were camry, camry hybrid and aurions, which is a camry as well.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Where were they making the rhd 70 series down there then??

OilHammer
09-15-2014, 01:06 PM
http://www.encuentra24.com/costa-rica-en/cars-auto-trucks-used-car/toyota-land-cruiser-76-lx-full-extras/4047514?search=f_make.Toyota|f_fuel.2|f_trans.2,4,3|f_year.2003-

Sigh....
Makes you want to just buy some cheap land down there. Pretty sure you can drive back to the US for close to a year at a time. But....driving through Mexico may not be fun. Wonder if you could essentially load that sucker on a cruise ship and have a nice cruise once a year to shuttle it back and forth. Ro-ro is always an option I guess. But hey, you find Costa Rica so nice you just want to stay there most of the year. I was surprised how many ex-pats are down there.

cruiseroutfit
09-16-2014, 12:35 AM
http://www.encuentra24.com/costa-rica-en/cars-auto-trucks-used-car/toyota-land-cruiser-76-lx-full-extras/4047514?search=f_make.Toyota|f_fuel.2|f_trans.2,4,3|f_year.2003-

Sigh....
Makes you want to just buy some cheap land down there. Pretty sure you can drive back to the US for close to a year at a time. But....driving through Mexico may not be fun. Wonder if you could essentially load that sucker on a cruise ship and have a nice cruise once a year to shuttle it back and forth. Ro-ro is always an option I guess. But hey, you find Costa Rica so nice you just want to stay there most of the year. I was surprised how many ex-pats are down there.

Folks do it ;)

Mexico isn't that bad... but the compilation of border crossings and long drive will surely scratch much of the novelty. In the end you have a neat truck that needs to be exported annually and can never be sold, or at least not easily. You still need to work out annual registration as well. If your a die hard Cruiserhead that has $40k and a lust for a HZJ powered rig for the next 25 years... it's a great option. If they offered the VDJ76/79 in Central America... I'd be driving one :D

OilHammer
09-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Anybody else notice this thread has over 2,500 views and only 83 posts?
Hmmm....

subzali
09-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Kurt is depressing me with all the 70 series imports he's been passing through with Land Cruiser Direct so I've been reading but not posting. I dreamt of getting my hands on one in 2012/2013 (earliest a BJ74 could have been imported) but that dream had gone dormant. It's trying to resurrect itself now that it's 2014, and I just realized that my next dream start date is 2015 which is just around the corner when the first diesel 80 series can be legally imported...I think I will wait until the '93 or so HDJs can be imported though...2018/2019...

Corbet
09-18-2014, 12:48 PM
If they offered the VDJ76/79 in Central America... I'd be driving one :D

And I'd share the cost of the deed on the land with you. :thumb:

cruiseroutfit
09-18-2014, 08:14 PM
And I'd share the cost of the deed on the land with you. :thumb:

They have PO boxes down there too. :D

My project LXXIV BJ74 just sold to a new owner (in Dever too) so I'm shopping for another project. I've got a couple of nice BJ74's here but I'm feeling some love for an HJ61? Time will tell... one day I'll be deciding on VDJ79's to build. Like in 20 years.

sleeoffroad
10-13-2014, 03:32 PM
More 70's porn. Drives in and out of the shop now. Next stop, exhaust work.

OilHammer
10-13-2014, 03:48 PM
It boggles the mind that is legal. I like it being legal, don't get me wrong there. It's just funny how you can't bring it in whole, but you can more or less build whatever you want from parts and just title it as something that was already here. The TLC icon barely uses any original parts from the donor vehicle other than the title and I think the bib. New frame, new engine, new body....and you get to dodge nearly all the regulations.
So how exactly, do you register a scratch/parts build like that so that they don't flag you for VIN swapping? Who knows...something of a smoke and mirror luck of the draw.
And what happens when you have an accident that bends the registered frame? Let's say Beno could order you a 79 frame NEW. Aren't you allowed to frame swap?

You could essentially buy a brand new truck in another country and dismantle it. Ship just the body, but complete.
Buy a rusty rusty rusty 80 with 300k on it and plop that new body on there just long enough for inspections. Still legal so far.
Then, you need to do a rust repair on that frame...oh no, not repairable. Need to order a new frame. Hey, just so happens I have a new frame in another country. I'll import that and swap it in, right? No. Can't do that.
I'm not sure you can import a new frame at all anymore unless it was originally intended for a legally importable vehicle, but I do think Beno can order you one if they are available in NA. As long as Toyota has a VIN record and you keep it all legal, I think you can do this. I "think" he could get a 70 series frame, but I don't think it was a LWB.
It also used to be that you could import a non-conforming truck in it's entirety if you just bandsaw out a 14" section of the frame rail and toss it. Pretty sure you cant anymore, but you could at least get all the suspension and axles NEW that way, but not in the same shipment. Loads of labor and cost there for something you can never really sell and recapture. Probably why it's legal. Probably less than .005% of the population would be dumb enough to try it.

Useful reading: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm

"The production, sale and importation of automotive bodies alone (i.e., no chassis, engine or transmission) are not regulated by EPA since such units are not considered "motor vehicles" under the Clean Air Act. EPA form 3520-1 is not required for imported automotive bodies. A motor vehicle from which the engine has been removed is still a motor vehicle and is not considered a body."

^^ Reading that, in order to have a "kit" car, you have to pull the body completely off the frame and import the body by iteself. It all comes down to what the importation officer thinks he's seeing at the port as to whether he wants to call it a vehicle.

"The production, sale and importation of vehicle parts (engines, transmissions, chassis, vehicle bodies, etc.) are not regulated by EPA because parts are not considered motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. However if the parts constitute a disassembled vehicle or an approximate disassembled vehicle, the combination is considered a motor vehicle under the Clean Air Act. Any attempt to use this policy to circumvent the Clean Air Act or the Imports regulations will be considered a violation of the Clean Air Act and will be strictly enforced. An example of such circumvention is:
A kit car maker who also provides the engine and transmission before or after production/importation of the body/chassis."

Rezarf
10-13-2014, 03:53 PM
I don't know, 70 series are cool, and yes I'd take one if I had the chance but mostly for the novelty of it. Give me one of these, this is what the FJC should have been, or at least close to it... 4 doors, removable top, v8, leather.

http://yakmee.com/images/main/sample/toyota/mega_cruiser/1995_suv_5d/toyota_mega_cruiser_1995_suv_5d_1430b.jpg

sleeoffroad
10-13-2014, 03:55 PM
We will see how it goes with the State Patrol. However it should be the same as building a hot rod. We have to get it done, then take it for an inspection to prove that none of the parts were stolen. Then I believe an inspection like they do for a kit car and it should get a CO Assigned VIN. Only the sheetmetal for this was an import. All the mechanical parts and frame were sourced from a US vehicle.

Rock Dog
10-13-2014, 03:59 PM
We will see how it goes with the State Patrol. However it should be the same as building a hot rod. We have to get it done, then take it for an inspection to prove that none of the parts were stolen. Then I believe an inspection like they do for a kit car and it should get a CO Assigned VIN. Only the sheetmetal for this was an import. All the mechanical parts and frame were sourced from a US vehicle.

I agree is should not be much difference than these Kit Cars build on Blazer Frames.. But that looks so much cooler IMO....

OilHammer
10-13-2014, 04:28 PM

Yup, and that's 100% legal. Once you are in the system legally and have the vin, can you then replace your frame?

sleeoffroad
10-13-2014, 04:32 PM
I can't see why not.

OilHammer
10-13-2014, 04:48 PM
So I'm curious how that works.
They see the frame VIN 12345678FZJ80 from a 1997 and they are good with that. (legal)
They don't see a VIN on the body, so after checking it all out, they issue you KIT123456 that you put on there with rivets. (just like what they did with my trailer)
Question is, what's in the computer? Both VINS, or just the CO issued one?

Just curious what happens if you really do have an issue where you must change the frame out and whether you start the process over with the new donor, or they just update a listing in the computer.

And by the way, your truck looks great! Can't wait to see it in person.

4runner
10-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Importable 70 series:

http://www.austousa.com/Buy.aspx?keyword=HJ75&description=false&minprice=&price=&cid=0&sidx=0&eidx=30

DanS
10-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Let's say Beno could order you a 79 frame NEW. Aren't you allowed to frame swap?

About a year and a half ago I checked. There is a stock of HZJ-79 frames sitting in Torrance. Presumably as part of the service contract for a fleet of mine vehicles somewhere in the US. I think there were 7 in the warehouse last time I checked.

Dan