PDA

View Full Version : AVM Locking Hubs

Telly
09-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Need to do a complete knuckle/wheel bearing job on my 78 FJ40. The rig has AVM locking hubs and one is leaking. Called Christo and he does not know of a source for replacement gaskets. I've looked on-line with no luck. Any ideas to source these gaskets? I may have to consider making a gasket or finding replacement hubs. Anyone have a couple originals laying around?:beer2:

Telly
09-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Does not appear many folks run AVM locking hubs. I'm now considering buying new ones. I'd prefer factory Aisin hubs but the mile marker part #466 manual locking hubs seem reasonably priced (approx. $100 for a pair). Any opinion on these or should I stick with Aisin?

wesintl
09-20-2012, 11:43 AM
just get gasket material from napa.

Usually the 78 birfs are the long ones. Do you have the mini birfs or the long 76-78? It's difficult to find the 78-78 aisin hubs since they only came on 55's

SteveH
09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
I have used/use Milemarkerh hubs. Not my favorite, but cheap and durable enough for my uses. I dislike that they are hard to turn (somewhat hard to fit fingers in the grooves), and on internal style hubs (Ford trucks), they don't fit tightly and can rattle. Not a deal breaker. I'd look for some older used Warns (although they stick way out) or Aisin.

Perhaps someone like MAF would have AVM kits? MAF always carries some odd stuff.