PDA

View Full Version : The moto tire thread

60wag
09-13-2012, 04:34 PM
A forum isn't complete without tire-talk.

I need a new rear tire for the 450. I've gone through several Dunlop D606 tires and want to try something different. There seem to be a bunch of people running the Pirelli MT43 trials tire with good results. It's even DOT rated. I'm wondering what kind of life I can get out of it 50/50 off road/on road.

I'm also looking at trying a Pirelli Pro Scorpian in the front.

subzali
09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Yep, I'm in need of a new rear tire. I would suspect the trials tire wouldn't last long on the street.

nakman
09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
I would think that Pirelli would last longer than your typical knobby, given that it's got more of them. Plus I bet it's quieter on the highway... is that what Tim's running on his KTM?

Maybe get one and put on your spare rim, then with somewhat minimal work you could do a side by side comparison? Would make for a fun Vail camping activity, perhaps...

nakman
09-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Pretty good review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/1963/Motorcycle-Article/Pirelli-MT-43-Pro-Trials-Tire-Review.aspx

Grip over rocks, roots, hardpack and even mud is, for the most part, on par or superior to full knobbies. When the tire is rotating, the closely spaced lugs are actually good at self-cleaning, but we found slippery downhills where the rear tire locks up fairly often is the biggest weakness.

Another one http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398746

rover67
09-13-2012, 05:41 PM
I've gone through 4 of the pirellie pro scorpion rears to my one pro scorpion front. I like the front and it has lasted a little while but I really try to stay off of the front brake on road.

The rears stick something fierce but the last me about 300 miles before they are so worn they start to suck off road. Maxxis makes a desert type tire that I am thinking of trying since it is tougher. The rocks around here seem to chew up the tires and I am hoping that might help that it is a desert tire... That and it was suggested to me by a friend who rides around boulder a lot.

Interestingly, I had a 606 sitting around that I threw in the 525 while my brother was in town and it did better than the worn out scorpion pulled off. It has worn great also.. Only reason I am tempted to go with the desert maxxis tire is that I am hoping it performs better than the 606 without lugs ripping off like the scorpion. That 606 rear kinda sucks on slimy trails too.

Fwiw, the crf230f has a 606 on the front with some other no name rear tire and my mom washed out on it and crashed a few weeks ago while she was here. No real damage to her, but I think it speaks a bit for that front tire. Not necessarily the best front out there.

rover67
09-13-2012, 05:46 PM
As far as the trials tires go, i think a saw a thread in adv where Pablo83 was running one and the tread de-laminated? Is that common? I like to ride fast on the road sections so I'd worry at least a little about that..

Here's the maxxis:

https://www.denniskirk.com/rear-desert-it-110-100-18-tire.p642971.prd

Jacket
09-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Did you see the picture of the trials tire on one guy's bike after the Walden trip? I think it was posted on ADV. He wasn't just missing a few lugs - it was like the tire was scalped. I'm not convinced...

The Maxxis desert tire is appealing to me as well - I might try one of those next in the rear.

The Scorpions are popular, but obviously there are dozens of different models so it's important to state of you have one of the MX's or the new XC's that are DOT legal. I mounted the XC mid-hard on both front and rear a couple months ago (good reviews, stiff sidewalls, plus the DOT legal aspect since I'm on the pavement some), and I'm pretty happy with the rear tire for what we've ridden. But after 500 miles on the rear tire, the center lugs are showing wear. No chance it'll last as long as a 606, but I'm hoping for better life than the softer MX options.

I don't like the Scorpion XC front I have - seems squirrelly (hops around a bit) on higher speed sections. I might try something different up there. When I was doing some internet research, there were good reviews on the Dunlop 755 and 756.

Good thread choice. :cheers:

Jacket
09-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Here's that picture of the trials tire - Looks like it was Dunlop rather than a Pirelli.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8292/7726556446_6f68dea14e_z.jpg

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19297293&postcount=376

J Kimmel
09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
you guys all ride dual sport?

I run dirt only, so I run Bridgestone M404's in the rear and 403's in the front, and I found it to be far better traction wise than the Dunlop 756 I used to run in the front and MX51 rear.

:)

Jacket
09-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Mostly dirt for me, but there's some road time to get to the trail or between trails.

I had an M59 (which I think was the predecessor to the M403) on the front before the Pirelli. I kinda miss it....

rover67
09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Road and trail for me. Pro scorpion I have been using was a dot legal one.

baja1d
09-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Can't say enough about the Michelin TT. I've got roughly 600 miles on it and it still looks new, BTW YZ250. Did switch to the Tubliss system and run 10psi. Only complaint is the imbalanced ride due to Tubliss. Hoping some of the "self balancing beads" take care of this.

subzali
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Any further thoughts on this?

So far I have seen:
-Dunlop D606, which I would consider to be a dual-sport tire. Not what I'm looking for.
-Bridgestone M403/M404, which are medium hard MX tires
-Pirelli Pro Scorpion XC - mid hard DOT legal, Matt likes the rear ok but not the front. Thinking of going to the Dunlop 755/756 for the front. Marco has also been using this tire but is thinking of going to something different (Maxxis Desert IT).
-Pirelli Pro Scorpion MX - not DOT legal
-Pirelli MT43 - DOT legal trials tire - might be too soft?
-Michelin TT
-Maxxis Desert IT
-Dunlop 755/756 - I cannot find this on Dunlop's website (?)

I'm still on my OE set of tires - Bridgestone M59 FR and Bridgestone M402 RR.

For me I spend very little time on pavement, but plenty of dirt roads (Rampart, 717, Argentine, Taylor). Haven't been to Moab yet but hope to soon?

I don't really have any complaints with my current tire setup but I'm not a very picky person when it comes to this stuff. I don't think I'm a very discerning user. But I am wondering if I'm missing out on anything, so that's why I'm considering something different. Might try a Pirelli Scorpion XC in the rear or maybe that Maxxis Desert IT. I like the concept of a DOT rated tire since my bike is street legal (well except for my current tires) and I think Utah might be a little more strict about street-legal tires if I were to get pulled over for any reason.

Need to start comparing prices...any suggestions on where to shop?

60wag
05-22-2013, 09:37 AM
My current setup is the Pirelli Scorpian in the front and the Pirelli MT43 in back. I like it, both tires are wearing quite well, ( I need to check how many miles I have on them but I think it's close to 1000.) The MT 43 trials tire has provided great traction in all conditions so far. I haven't really had it in mud yet but in sand and rocks, it's great. The Scorpian seems to hold corners well any is barely showing any wear. I'm running Tubliss front and rear.

subzali
05-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Is your front the MX or XC? Or other?

Jacket
05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
My Pirelli Scorpion XC didn't last very long -> 900 miles and the center nobbies were gone. It did hold up pretty well though without much chunking on the side knobbies.

I mounted a Michelin AC10 (DOT legal) on the rear this spring and ran it in Utah for the week. I loved the traction in that environment, but like the Pirelli it wore pretty fast. I rode close to 450 miles of mostly dirt that week and it's looking about 1/2 way gone (it was brand new when I started the week). As a comparison, Farnham's Maxxis intermediate desert tire was also brand new, and his looked just lightly worn when I left. But it's not DOT legal....

The next rear tire I'm going to try is the Kenda K760. Pretty good reviews, and a good price. DOT legal as well.

rover67
05-22-2013, 10:30 AM
I am still on my front Scorpion Pro FIM, about to throw a new one on:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/86/176/1101/11239/-/36177/90-90x21-Pirelli-Scorpion-Pro-F.I.M.?ref=gmc&gclid=COi6n-P9qbcCFeU-Mgod61QADA

I feel no need to change from this tire right now.

The rear was only lasting me about 3-400 miles so it was not economical.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/391/5169/ITEM/Pirelli-Scorpion-Pro-All-Terrain-Enduro-Rear-Tire.aspx

Over the winter I threw a D606 on the rear mainly because I had it lying around. I only used it for a few rides around town before heading to Rabbitt Valley/Dewey Bridge area/Moab this year for Moto Cruise Moab. I am not sure how far we rode, but it was every day for about a week. That 606 was pretty worn out. It rode OK, but not my favorite.

I just got the maxxis Desert IT in the mail yesterday so it is going on next along with the Scorpion Pro FIM front.

I like Farnham's philosophy on tires, more rubber is better. The Desert IT has a lot of rubber..

Jacket
05-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I agree, but after getting stopped by the Po-Po in Boulder last fall, the first thing he did is check my tires for the DOT stamp.

If I wasn't concerned about DOT approval, and never drove from my house to the trails, I'd be all over the Maxxis Desert tires.

rover67
05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah, agreed.

every time i have been pulled over I have showed them one tire and they were happy...... so.. maybe my luck will continue when i get that desert IT mounted.

smslavin
05-22-2013, 12:12 PM
there's a pretty good tire review in the latest overland journal (summer issue). they go through conti's tkc 80, heidenau k74, kenda big block k784, metzler mce karoo 2, dunlop d606 and the pirelli scorpion xc mid hard. they didn't pick an "editor's choice" but the reviews are pretty thorough.

subzali
05-22-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm thinking Pirelli Scorpion XC MH for the front and the Kenda K760 for the rear. The Kenda is almost the same tread pattern as my Bridgestone M402 but is cheaper and DOT rated. I can't find my Bridgestone front any more. KTM now stocks my bike with Dunlop GEOMax MX51s FR and RR, but not sure I'm that interested right now with all the suggestions above.

subzali
06-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Got my new treads mounted today. Looking pretty good with new rubber. Pulls wheelies much better too. What do I do with the old tires?

baja1d
06-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Got my new treads mounted today. Looking pretty good with new rubber. Pulls wheelies much better too. What do I do with the old tires?

In a former life we'd drink too much, climb a giant dune, light them on fire, and chase them back down again. Not really sure why but wed have about 10 going at once. I guess it was a way to sober up for the next day of riding!!! Now-a-days I just recycle them

subzali
06-03-2013, 08:24 AM
where do you take them?

DaveInDenver
06-03-2013, 08:39 AM
where do you take them?
The recycling center at the landfill accepts tires and takes them down to Sedalia to Front Range Tire Recycling. You can drop tires off with them for free, they shred them into landscape mulch and track surfaces.

http://www.frtirerecycle.com/products.php

60wag
06-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Any tire shop will take them for a couple of bucks. Last year I found an ad for BigO that waived the tire disposal fee for a weekend so I cleared out the worn tire collection.

subzali
06-03-2013, 11:06 AM
The recycling center at the landfill accepts tires and takes them down to Sedalia to Front Range Tire Recycling. You can drop tires off with them for free, they shred them into landscape mulch and track surfaces.

http://www.frtirerecycle.com/products.php

I drove by there yesterday. D'oh!

nakman
06-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Ok in the sprit here, and given the fact that my front tire is already laying on the garage floor, I went ahead and ordered tires last night. Neither of mine are DOT, so I wanted to legitify myself... plus new tires is cool. Decided to go Marco front/Subzali rear- Pirelli Scorpion Pro FIM and Kenda K760.

I also ordered a Bridgestone M404 by mistake, thinking it was DOT somehow (it ain't). Anyone want/need it? If not I'll be returning it as soon as it gets here...

J Kimmel
06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
what size is that 404? I love them

nakman
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
110/110x18. Paid $79.99

J Kimmel
06-03-2013, 03:37 PM
bummer I'm a 19 guy

subzali
06-03-2013, 08:31 PM
110/110x18. Paid $79.99

Kinda small for a 525 no?

nakman
06-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Kinda small for a 525 no?

I dunno, that's the size of the Maxxis that's on there now, and it seems normal to me. The Kenda I got is 120/110, fwiw.

subzali
06-16-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm thinking Pirelli Scorpion XC MH for the front and the Kenda K760 for the rear. The Kenda is almost the same tread pattern as my Bridgestone M402 but is cheaper and DOT rated. I can't find my Bridgestone front any more. KTM now stocks my bike with Dunlop GEOMax MX51s FR and RR, but not sure I'm that interested right now with all the suggestions above.

After 60 miles of 717 today I'll give these tires a b+. I think my bridgestones gripped better, but these are dot rated and a little harder compound. And I'm not sure anything is good for hard corners on decomposing granite gravel roads. No falls though, one close call on an almost washout