PDA

View Full Version : Emission question

AKcruiser
09-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Ive recently move to CO, and I want to bring my 77 fj40 with me, but Im a little confused by the emission laws here. Im running a Trolehole non US carb, and a non US dizzy. Ive also gutted all the EGR stuff. Its a not Catalyst truck so Im safe there. What are my options?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uFrYXJHap_s/T7_WfBaA-3I/AAAAAAAAA0o/FVF7oZVXa-4/s510/IMG_1026.jpg
She rusty and slow but I grin like a drunk sailor every time I get behind the wheel.

nuclearlemon
09-13-2012, 10:16 PM
you will fail visual. you will need to add all the emissions stuff that the truck was born with

rover67
09-13-2012, 11:04 PM
you will fail visual. you will need to add all the emissions stuff that the truck was born with

Yep.... Ige states the truth...

You can always try it and see if you get away with it.

60wag
09-14-2012, 06:34 AM
What county are you going to register it in? The front range counties like Denver, Boulder, CO Springs have emissions inspections. The rural counties don't.

DaveInDenver
09-14-2012, 07:17 AM
His location says Gunbarrel, so Boulder County. Ige is correct.

subzali
09-14-2012, 08:57 AM
And for a '77 you will have to do emissions testing every year. :(

Phrog
09-14-2012, 09:02 AM
My '76 passed the visual smog inspection without the EGR system (prior owner removed it when he put on headers). There's a thread somewhere -
either here or on IH8MUD - that others have had the same experience.
So it appears that you have to have some, but not all, of the original
emissions equipment in order to pass the visual smog check.

-Phrog
1976 FJ40

SteveH
09-14-2012, 09:52 AM
The front range counties like Denver, Boulder, CO Springs have emissions inspections.

El Paso County (Colo Springs) does not....except for diesel trucks

Steve

DenCo40
09-14-2012, 11:01 AM
I have been through the smog game for ages. I have a 77 also. You will most likely pass with any dizzy or stockish carb AND as long as: You have your air rail, air pump, stock air cleaner and it runs very well. They do not typically look for EGR stuff. We had a thread going somewhere a while back about this.....
For those of us with 77's we enjoy going through this on a yearly basis so it's just best to get the stuff you need to pass and keep it running well.

cbmontgo
09-14-2012, 12:42 PM
For those of us with 77's we enjoy going through this on a yearly basis so it's just best to get the stuff you need to pass and keep it running well.

Yeah, I still have to get my '76 tested every year. Ridiculous.

MDH33
09-14-2012, 03:27 PM
If it's any consolation regarding the visual inspection, I just did my '80 Hilux (also yearly emissions) in August and they only opened the hood long enough to connect the rpm wire. so, you might get lucky if it burns clean. ;)

Rzeppa
09-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Agreed with everything posted above. The drones at the emissions police wouldn't know an EGR if the tripped over it, plus it isn't needed to pass. But they know what a smog pump looks like. as long as it is hooked up and appears functional you'll pass the visual. 1977 was the last year pre-cat so you don't need to worry about that either.

Main thing is to pass the sniffer, and they keep moving the goalpost from what was originally required to tighter and tighter. Keep those old "clunkers" off the public roads and all that.

nuclearlemon
09-15-2012, 10:31 AM
They do know an air rail...that's why the nuclearlemon had to go away

AKcruiser
09-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I guess Ill just keep it registered out of state for the time being. I don't plan to set up shop forever in CO anyway, so maybe it will just keep the AK plates. I have all the Emissions stuff laying around but I would rather not have it on my truck. Its much easier to work on and looks a lot cleaner. Then again maybe it time for a diesel conversion... I guess I had better go buy a lottery ticket. :D

Thanks for the info.

nuclearlemon
09-23-2012, 10:35 PM
just dont' get busted as a resident with out of state tags....last i heard it was $500 ticket