PDA

View Full Version : LHRB - left hand rear brake

nakman
09-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Went for the easy button on this one and ordered the kit from Rekluse. Install was easy, I may bleed it one more time after riding a bit as it seems to take up most of the travel, but at least both the foot lever and hand brake make the light come on, so it's close. Tried it both ways on the stand, ended up putting the brake below the clutch it felt more natural when standing.

http://www.rekluse.com/brake.shtml

rover67
09-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Not sure how they recommend it, but I think id put the lhrb up top. Your hand will be on it in the technical stuff so it will be out of the way of the clutch lever. Id hate to fall and have the clutch lever somehow break my fingers with my hand on the lhrb like it is.

Am I on crack or does this make sense? Would the bark busters make this a non issue?

On the street I'd be ok with my hand around the clutch behind the lhrb. Not as big of a chance of falling there.

Also, btw, mine took lots of bleeding and riding to make it feel good. I kinda gave up on bleeding at one point and just rode it and it got better after a few hundred miles of workin it good.... Firmed right up.

nakman
09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
They don't recommend anything, in fact it seems like they go out of their way to make it clear it can run both ways, up to "rider preference." I suspect there's a liability risk for them telling you a better way to set it up or something.

When the brake was on top, it slams into the master cylinder/exhaust valve lever thingy and sits up really high, even using the mirror as a spacer the two levers are almost 90 from each other. So I tried rotating them to split that difference, but that just made using both levers really uncomfortable- having to reach way down to shift, and still having to twist my wrist back to grab the brake. It was kinda cool being able to raise my index finger to pull the brake down, leaving most of my hand on the grip, but I'm not sure how practical that is anywhere but on the stand in the garage.

Flipping it around so the brake is on bottom gets them as close as possible, about 45 apart. At least now I can grab either lever while leaving my wrist and hand in more or less the same position. I didn't even notice the brake while riding this morning, was still able to use the clutch naturally.

There's less protection of the lever with it down low like that, but yeah I think the bark buster should still protect my hand in most cases. I guess I could see a major front end impact where an object goes right through the hand guard, then presses the clutch into my hand, but geez it's a motorcycle that kind of vulnerability is everywhere. Plus my instinct is likely to pull the clutch in. I'm not ready to lose the clutch yet.. :)

Jacket
09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Less modding, more riding. :ranger: :moto:

I would like to try that setup next time were out. Curious about how long it takes to train your brain and hand to manage the two levers.

nakman
09-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Totally. :moto:

I tend to switch gears mentally depending on up vs. down. For up, I'd forget about the rear brake entirely. For down, once I've more or less resolved on a gear then it's more about braking, so I'd make that adjustment. At least that was my experience with riding Marco's...

You ever ride with someone who was driving an automatic for the first time? Man the first couple times they slam in the clutch is an eye opener... :eek: I had a couple of those "shifts" the first time I rode Far's bike. :hill:

nakman
10-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Ride report: Rode about 50 miles on Saturday, a good half of that was single track. In fact, my whole body hurts right now, I can barely walk after following Farnham around Vail.. I'm calling home field advantage. :hill: :moto:

But the brake lever worked well- I used it on steep descents and could easily squeeze it hard enough to make the back tire lock up, although there was a nice sensitivity to it where I could just brake a little, still slow down, but not lock up the tire. I was in 1st of 2nd for most of my LHRBraking.

Also the position being low like that seems perfect- I could forget all about it on climbs and when bombing around at high speed, any time I shifted I never touched it. It wasn't until the descents where I actually reached for it, and then pulling it was very natural. And I crashed a few times... a couple of them pretty hard too and on that left side (one hard enough to tweak the bars relative to the front wheel). The bark busters must have done their job, as the lever is still without a scratch.