PDA

View Full Version : Going head to head with a car...when on a bike

CBone
09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Just wanted to send a collective thank you to members of Rising Sun that have reached out in the last 24 hours. Short version, I was on a bike ride and got hit by a car, that then fled the scene. He launched me about 12 feet, I suffered a shattered left knee, banged to hell right knee, a rack of bruised ribs, and a severe enough concussion to send me back to the ER a second time for blurry vision, dizziness and some other good stuff.
I'm doing all right, but will be out of commission for a bit. Thanks again to those who reached out, much appreciated.

FJCDan
09-16-2012, 04:18 PM
:eek:Wow Carlton, just saw this. Hope your allright and get better soon. Been out of state all weekend, will be back in Denver Monday with trip report. Take care of yourself. Dan

Lars
09-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Hope you get better soon.

Corbet
09-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Hope your feeling better soon. Seems like the front range has so many hit and run cases lately?

wesintl
09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
wowsers. get well soon Carlton!

Inukshuk
09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Ugh. So sorry to hear. Let me know if you want a orthopedist referral. I wish you a speedy recovery and the PD a speedy capture of the bad guy.

farnhamstj
09-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Heal up.

rover67
09-16-2012, 10:46 PM
holy **** man. that's crazy....

i hope your knees are ok.

nakman
09-16-2012, 11:15 PM
wow. heal quick, Carlton!

RicardoJM
09-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Dude - that's not good:eek:. Let me know if you need anything.:thumb:

DaveInDenver
09-17-2012, 08:00 AM
That absolutely blows Carlton, hope it's not too bad and you heal quickly.

Relatedly, a guy I worked with at the bike shop years ago was hit by a car and broke his back. Ended a fairly promising young cyclist's career since he was plagued with back pain for a couple of years in his early 20s and it threw off his training and potential in his prime. It was mostly a mental injury since he became skittish around traffic and lost his edge.

Our how about this jackass out in Longmont.

xFM5QiAd3QA

FJBRADY
09-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Wow Carlton, just saw this. I hope for a speedy recovery....very scary. Let me know if you need anything.

smslavin
09-17-2012, 08:52 AM
xFM5QiAd3QA

Holy crap. I had a run in with that same guy just a couple of weeks ago as I was making my way north on some of the backroads in Erie. He was doing the exact same thing and followed me like that for at least 5 miles. He then pulled up next to me and we had a massive screaming match for about a mile. I almost jumped through his window to choke him out. I called it in as a drunk driver but I'm not sure if he got stopped or not.

CBone, sorry to hear about your incident. I've been hit by cars on several occasions and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Hope the little chicken poop bastard gets picked up.

Jacket
09-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Damn Carlton. Sorry to hear it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Corbet
09-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Our how about this jackass out in Longmont.

xFM5QiAd3QA

During my bike commute years that guy would have been pulled out his window and beat. I got hit a couple times by people not paying attention but that behavior is redicious. I was lucky never to get hurt my a motorist but had plenty of heated discussions regarding my right to the road. Hopefully the video leads to a visit by local law enforcement. The cyclists kept their cool.

RLMS
09-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Holy smokes, Carlton, I just saw this post. Man I feel terrible that you too have had an accident. I hope your doing well, and pray for you and your family, on a speedy recovery! If there is anything we can do, don't hesitate!

Justin

corsair23
09-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Wow Carlton...I hope they find the a-hole!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

CBone
09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Visited the surgeon today and recovery will be a slow, lengthy process but I figure Justin and I can watch Land Cruiser videos together all day long!

Dave, that's a scary video and unfortunately, all to common for all of us who love our road rides.

Fishy
09-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Carlton.... Get well soon. Sorry to hear about that.

leiniesred
09-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Whoa Carlton. I did that once too. (without the flee the scene part)
Watch out for the post trauma stress thing. You have a lot of damage.

The only good thing about pain is that only 1 thing can hurt the MOST at any one time.

Take care man.

theboomboom
09-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Dude - that's not good:eek:. Let me know if you need anything.:thumb:

Seconded! I'm sorry to hear this, hope you have a speedy recovery!

Inukshuk
10-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Carlton - how you doing?

coax
10-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Wow crazy! Hope everything is healing nicely. I had a similar encounter, but was lucky enough to hit the windshield (shattered it) and bent both the head tube/down tube/wheels on my bike. The driver also stopped which was good. Best of luck with the recovery!:cheers:

Hulk
10-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Hope you are healing and feeling better! Did they catch the person who hit you?

CBone
10-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Didn't know this post had been revived!

Matt, Denver PD did not have enough to go on. While we're clear on the type of car (4-door, white, newer, Toyota Matrix-type car), all bystanders ran to attend to me, which was really nice. Unforunately no one got a license plate. As a result, there isn't enough for Denver PD to go on, so they are not doing anything, case is inactive is what they told me yesterday.

Some of my friends posted signs at the intersection, and we offered a reward, but the signs were pulled down--Denver ordinance to keep the neighborhood clean :D

Daniel, I'm mending, albeit slowly. The left knee is broken in many places and will take several months. But, I am very fortunate that I will not need surgery. The right knee has some ligament damage. The concussion is waning, the ribs will take time, as will the blood clots.

I've started PT and Sascha has been awesome about driving me about town to doctor's and PT appointments.

While it seems the perp will most likely never be caught in this situation, I am amazingly fortunate to have come out of this the way I have. All parts will mend and the outpouring of support has been really cool.

Thanks

Inukshuk
10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Good news. Lets do a Central Breakfast for you in November!