PDA

View Full Version : Moto spring swap - suspension setup

nakman
09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Hey so my 525 was set up for a 275 pound rider. Really tall, stiff, not a huge deal around town but I want to get on dirt and don't want to take a pounding.

so last night I removed my seat, gas tank, rear tire, shark fin deal, then ultimately removed the rear shock. Total time about 45 minutes, hey not so bad! I then stared at it for 20 minutes more figuring out how to get it apart. Ended up going back inside to search for videos.. found this one where they guy does it in less than 1 minute: :doh:

pF8sxcYF_vI

But that's cool, I needed a lesson in removing the rear tire anyway. I never did find a video for how to actually remove the spring, but ultimately found a few threads on Advrider that mention removing a little clip. So just in case I'm not that last guy to figure this out, what you do is relieve all the coil spring tension so the spring is loose, flip it upside down then tap this flange-looking thing at the base of the shock assembly, towards the spring. That reveals this little clip you can remove with your fingers, then the flange falls off, the washer falls off, and the spring slides off.

I had 2 spare springs on hand- the stock one, and a "slightly heavier than stock one" that 60wag brought over. I went with the stock one... now my bike has the stance of a chopper, totally low in back and still tall & stiff in front. :hill:

My next step is learn how to pull the front springs- again I have found a couple threads with references to loosening the triple clamps but that's about it. Anyone know of a video on this? Or is it really easy?

Also, I didn't bother with measuring any type of bike sag or rider sag before diving in, but am interested in if there are any good DIY tips for doing that once I get these stiff springs out of there.

Jacket
09-17-2012, 10:31 AM
If you look up videos on replacing fork oil/seals you'll see the front spring removal/replace as a step in that process. If we did a "fork seal party" we could address a spring swap as well.

Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4

nakman
09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I may just try to back off all the dampening until I have more time for this.. unless it's possible to pull the springs with the forks still on the bike?

60wag
09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
No, the fork tubes have to come off the bike to change the springs. It's not hard to do. I ordered a 22mm wrench. It might show up late this week. Get a seal kit on hand and we can schedule a seal/spring swap party.

rover67
09-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I was able to do my springs without taking the fork tubes off of the bike.

Front wheel can even stay on too... you just have to unscrew both top caps at the same time and push the wheel up so the springs pop up and out. It took me maybe 30 minutes to do.

nakman
09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
I was able to do my springs without taking the fork tubes off of the bike.

Front wheel can even stay on too... you just have to unscrew both top caps at the same time and push the wheel up so the springs pop up and out. It took me maybe 30 minutes to do.

Ok so get the handle bars out of the way, then loosen the top portion of the triple clamps, then remove the top caps of the forks, and push down? I'm going for it.

60wag
09-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, ok then. I was thinking you had to unscrew the cartridge from the bottom of the fork tube but I guess not.

rover67
09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
no, in fact Tim, if you ride over to my house we can do it faily quickly. my trip this week got cancelled :)

nakman
09-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Cool! will see what my plans are later, I'm traveling this week so may not be able to get out.

60wag
09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Ok so get the handle bars out of the way, then loosen the top portion of the triple clamps, then remove the top caps of the forks, and push down? I'm going for it.

Push down gently or you might find a bit of oil coming out the top of the tubes.

rover67
09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
bike needs to be on a stand so the front hangs.

when the top caps are loose, lift the front wheel slightly and the springs should come up enough that you can undo the top cap from the top of the spring. The top caps not only thread into the fork tubes, but also the spring holder thinggie. I think i had to grind a wrench down to fit above the compressed coil and on a locking nut of some sort.

Once that was unthreaded, the coil lifted out. pull it out slowly so the oil drips off of it. It is also a good time to check fork oil level.

assemble with some plastic spacers that preload the spring, more for more preload, less for less and move to the next side.

nakman
09-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Well I guess the Broncos wanted me to work on the bike tonight after all. So I got the springs swapped, it was a real pain trying to cram a wrench in there, my HF 22mm is too small for that nut, and I don't have a 23, the 15/16 barely held it though :hill: Here's my setup, it worked until things got aggressive then I swapped the one 2x4 for an older bike battery, which was a little more stable.

nakman
09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
I then decided I need to swap the rear spring again. Removed the stock 80-250 spring, and put in the 90-260 that Bruce gave me. Much better, that light spring was compressing like half the travel just coming down off the stand, and that was with 8 turns of preload. This other spring only compresses about half that, and with only 3 turns of preload. (that heavy spring barely even compressed with just the bike weight).

I think I'm good for a ride now, at least I can squish the forks down in front now, and I can actually compress the back by bouncing on it. I'm sure some fine tuning is in order, but hey at least it's rideable now. Oh, and it's true you can pull the rear shock without even taking the tire off... my total time for tonight's spring swap was about 25 minutes. If I were to get a spanner wrench I could likely shave a little bit off that. :)

nakman
09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
took a quick ride around the block, cool. :cool: feels pretty close to Marco's, maybe a little bit squishier? The front end actually dives down when you slam the front brake now, feels like a dirt bike again. :moto:

60wag
09-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Cool. You get that basement finished yet? The riding is prime right now before the snow flies.

nakman
09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
I got carpet ordered.. :) we'll get there.

rover67
09-18-2012, 03:00 PM
see, it wasn't that hard... I used a 15/16 wrench too.

hopefully my posted instructions didn't leave you guessing too much.

The manual states how many turns to give the rear spring to preload it before you move to setting sag by measuring. I forgot what it was supposed to be. did you set it according to that?

Checking sag is super easy.... you just need a helper to hold the tape and read a number while you sit on it.