PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Speedo housing

Bruiser
09-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Does anyone have a speedo housing sitting around for a pre 78 transfercase. I broke a bolt off in mine, then proceeded to brake an extraction bolt in the hole, and then tried unsuccessfully to drill it out. So, I could use a fresh start if anyone has one.

Thanks

RicardoJM
09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Is this your new housing with the double seal? I'm assuming it is one of the cover plate bolts. Do you have a picture that shows what is there to work with?

At one of the CM Wrenching sessions, we had a broken stud for a lock-out hub on George's truck. We used the drill press to steady things up as we put a hole in for the extractor. It took some patience but we were successfull in getting it out.

Similar issue (hub stud broke) on the trail with Kevin's rig and I watched Robbie use a small pointed punch to tap the bolt remains counter clockwise and back it out.

Worst case scenario would be to drill the entire thing out and tap the hole for the next size up.

Was your drill bit sharp? When we (actually Tim N.) were doing George's we had a sharp bit that made small tight metal spirals as it did the cutting.

nuclearlemon
09-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Pretty sure ive got.a couple

Bruiser
09-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Is this your new housing with the double seal? I'm assuming it is one of the cover plate bolts. Do you have a picture that shows what is there to work with?

At one of the CM Wrenching sessions, we had a broken stud for a lock-out hub on George's truck. We used the drill press to steady things up as we put a hole in for the extractor. It took some patience but we were successfull in getting it out.

Similar issue (hub stud broke) on the trail with Kevin's rig and I watched Robbie use a small pointed punch to tap the bolt remains counter clockwise and back it out.

Worst case scenario would be to drill the entire thing out and tap the hole for the next size up.

Was your drill bit sharp? When we (actually Tim N.) were doing George's we had a sharp bit that made small tight metal spirals as it did the cutting.

Yep, this is my new double seal. I think I may already be in a worst case scenario situation as I too hastily tried to get it out with thoroughly planning my attack (lesson learned). Now I don't have a flat surface to work on.

I tried to take it to a professional machine shop but I had one guy quote me $100 and am having troubles finding any machine shops at all. I can post up a picture tonight but it is pretty ugly now that I let my frustration get the best of me.

Bruiser
09-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks IGE. I will shoot you a PM

RicardoJM
09-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Yep, this is my new double seal. I think I may already be in a worst case scenario situation as I too hastily tried to get it out with thoroughly planning my attack (lesson learned). Now I don't have a flat surface to work on.

I tried to take it to a professional machine shop but I had one guy quote me $100 and am having troubles finding any machine shops at all. I can post up a picture tonight but it is pretty ugly now that I let my frustration get the best of me.

Bummer. Post up the pics and perhaps the Rising Sun collective can help salvage the situation.

Bruiser
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Ige, looks liek your PM box is full. :gaah:

nuclearlemon
09-20-2012, 10:04 PM
didn't find it yet...pretty sure i have at least one..i'll keep looking

nuclearlemon
09-23-2012, 10:05 AM
found it...sent you an email