PDA

View Full Version : Coil Spring Question

LETSROLL
09-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Hey RS,

Quick question on the OME Lift Kits.

I put the Heavy Kit on my 1996 LC along with the ARB front and Slee dual swing arm rear bumpers. It sits well, but the ride is extremely stiff and passengers in my truck complain the ride is bouncy. Even I notice the rythmic bouncing on paved roads that have uneven joints.

I use the truck mostly for car camping, but it also serves as my primary daily driver. I have yet to do any serious wheeling in it.

So, what should I do to improve the ride?

I was thinking of changing out the coil springs to the OME Medium (851/860).

Thoughts?

Thanks

60wag
09-28-2012, 10:17 AM
What tire pressure do you run?

LETSROLL
09-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi Bruce,

Good question. Since most of my driving is on paved roads I'm aired up pretty high. I have BFG ATs mounted on 16" FJC rims.

I assume you're question infers I should air down? I might try that, but that would hurt fuel economy right?

60wag
09-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I've played with air pressure on my 80. My usual road pressure is 32-35psi. I've tried 40 and 45 to see if it improved the mpg. I found no improvement but did notice a more harsh ride. Now I keep it at 32.

corsair23
09-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I have the same lift...

Lowering tire pressure will help and not affect mileage much (experience shows it will drop a tad though). But it could/will affect tread wear...The whole adding +10 PSI when going from PS to LT tires yadda, yadda - I'll attach a .pdf file I downloaded long ago that will help you figure out the approx right PSI setting. I have another one from Toyo (you can probably find it online) but it is too large to attach.

The lift you have is designed to work well with X amount of extra weight. Do you have a winch and/or dual batteries up front? If not my guess is you are under the rec'd weight for those springs. Same in the rear even with the bumper unless you have drawers with tools etc. in the rear.

I have the ARB up front with a M15K but no dual battery setup yet. In the rear I just have the Slee rear bumper (single swing arm). Ride quality is firm for sure. When towing the popup ride quality improves dramatically in the rear.

I'd talk to Christo and see what he suggests. But if you are done with the mods and adding weight, they yes, mediums sound like a better fit IMO. Load up the rear with some sand bags or something to see how it rides with more weight. I imagine the 2.5" heavy lift that you installed netted you more like 3-4" of lift and your ride quality is suffering.

I've read wonderful reviews about the FOR lift and how it rides like "buttah" all of the time. Never ridden in a rig with the FOR lift...Only local person I know who has that lift is Nay down in the Monument area.

coax
09-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Hey RS,

Quick question on the OME Lift Kits.

I put the Heavy Kit on my 1996 LC along with the ARB front and Slee dual swing arm rear bumpers. It sits well, but the ride is extremely stiff and passengers in my truck complain the ride is bouncy. Even I notice the rythmic bouncing on paved roads that have uneven joints.

I use the truck mostly for car camping, but it also serves as my primary daily driver. I have yet to do any serious wheeling in it.

So, what should I do to improve the ride?

I was thinking of changing out the coil springs to the OME Medium (851/860).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Interesting! You have the same lift I had. My feelings were exactly the same. The ride was overly harsh and bouncy. I believe it was due primarily to two things.
1.) A fairly stiff spring rate.
2.) OME shocks that have (IMO) way too much compression damping.

To get around this I got new shocks. You can still tell the spring rate is high but now it rides *much* better.

As for getting the mediums, I would not recommend that. The front heavies and mediums are the same spring rate. The heavies are just a bit longer. The rears do have a slightly higher spring rate, but not by a whole lot. You could look at swapping out just the rears. Cruiser outfitters has a good spreadsheet on the spring rates of various OME springs.

I would also suspect that the BFG's play into this as well. In my experience they ride fairly harshly on road.

Not sure I have much to suggest as the shock solution gets expensive quick. Hopefully this helps! :cheers:

LETSROLL
10-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Interesting! You have the same lift I had. My feelings were exactly the same. The ride was overly harsh and bouncy. I believe it was due primarily to two things.
1.) A fairly stiff spring rate.
2.) OME shocks that have (IMO) way too much compression damping.

To get around this I got new shocks. You can still tell the spring rate is high but now it rides *much* better.

As for getting the mediums, I would not recommend that. The front heavies and mediums are the same spring rate. The heavies are just a bit longer. The rears do have a slightly higher spring rate, but not by a whole lot. You could look at swapping out just the rears. Cruiser outfitters has a good spreadsheet on the spring rates of various OME springs.

I would also suspect that the BFG's play into this as well. In my experience they ride fairly harshly on road.

Not sure I have much to suggest as the shock solution gets expensive quick. Hopefully this helps! :cheers:

Hi corey,
Thanks for the info. What shocks did you end up going with?

coax
10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I went with the fox 2.0 remote res shocks. After doing a bunch of research (including bikeman's thread on mud) lead me to believe that the fox's were pretty much the perfect length shock for the heavy springs.

I don't have the valving dialed in 100% yet, but they are much better than the old style OME's.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/245970-fox-shox-2-0s-4.html

Telly
10-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I installed a FOR Gen II on my 97. I ran the lift for 3 years before I sold the rig. I replaced a 4" OME competition lift which flexed like crazy in the rocks but was flat dangerous on the highway with the body lean and sway. The progressive springs were a engineering thing of beauty. Rode like a caddy. However, be prepared to spend some big $$$ on the kit.

nakman
10-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I installed a FOR Gen II on my 97. I ran the lift for 3 years before I sold the rig. I replaced a 4" OME competition lift which flexed like crazy in the rocks but was flat dangerous on the highway with the body lean and sway. The progressive springs were a engineering thing of beauty. Rode like a caddy. However, be prepared to spend some big $$$ on the kit.

Just curious, did you keep both swaybars installed when you had the 4" OME Comp kit?

Corbet
10-02-2012, 11:27 AM
If the ride is bouncy I would look at changing out your shocks. Springs support the weight. Shocks control the movement. A little oversimplified but pretty much the case.

Telly
10-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Just curious, did you keep both swaybars installed when you had the 4" OME Comp kit?

Yes, with the Slee drop blocks up front.