PDA

View Full Version : Fridge Thermometer

Crash
10-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Been looking at the Engel remote digital fridge thermometer and see that it has been discontinued. Any particular reason for this? Any suggestions for what works well in a wireless remote thermometer for an onboard fridge?

Corbet
10-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I've been trying to find a small wireless home unit for the same purpose. Not much luck. But I did find a small digital unit in the kitchen section at Wal'mart. It hangs on my fridge basket inside.

This one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-Digital-Refrigerator-and-Freezer-Thermometer/17785564

coax
10-07-2012, 12:29 PM
never tried it but any reason you couldn't get a small/cheap home wireless weather station, and just put the sender in the fridge? Throw a couple lithium batteries in the sender and I bet it would last a while. Then you'd even have max/min temps, humidity, etc. :confused:

DaveInDenver
10-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I built one years ago. I found a little LCD thermometer at Radio Shack on clearance, think the whole thing cost me about $10 to make since I put it in a project box.

Not sure if they still carry it, but eBay or any of the electronics suppliers will have something similar, like this for $2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital-Thermometer-Indoor-Temperature-Meter-For-Fridge-Freezer-Fish-Tank-/320995662367?pt=US_Weather_Meters&hash=item4abcd51a1f

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LCD-Digital-Thermometer-Temperature-Meter-For-Fridge-Freezer-Fish-Tank-Centigrad-/00/s/NzM3WDczNw==/$(KGrHqJ,!pIF!MYzysy5BQbkLzsUDw~~60_1.JPG

wesintl
10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I use and indoor outdoor car themometer. I never have to worry about the lithium batterys. I stick it out on the outside. I'm in and out of the fridge enough when i'm using it I havne't found the need for remote.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21JnD%2B-owEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I also stick a small meat thermometer between the basket and side to give me another reading.

Otherwise, yea a remote thermometer with lithium battery's would work. I was just never happy with my freezer alarm that uses them. They lasted maybe a month but that was at sub zero temps

nakman
10-07-2012, 07:18 PM
I got mine from Sierra Expeditions... pictures in this thread www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18247

rover67
10-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Just curious, why the need for one? My fridge stays at like 36 degrees indicated pretty much all the time and my beer and food stay nice and cold. Never do I worry about stuff getting warm and going bad.

Corbet
10-08-2012, 01:29 AM
I like to keep mine just above freezing like 33* so things don't freeze.

DaveInDenver
10-08-2012, 07:36 AM
I use mine to make I'm not running too much and keeping it colder than I need. I just have the one Red Top and it's getting pretty sketchy (it's I think 8 years old), so I try for just enough duty cycle to keep the fridge around 40F inside if we're not moving for a day or two. That's the nifty thing about that little guy I rigged, it has a high and low memory so I can see with the Engel at '1' how much it varies over a day compared to the battery discharge and decide if we can let the temperature go up a little to avoid being stranded.

Crash
10-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Insurance against accidental turning off of the fridge in my case. If the fridge is on, it stays at the desired temp but if not, the beer gets warm! Can't have that!!

nakman
10-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Just curious, why the need for one? My fridge stays at like 36 degrees indicated pretty much all the time and my beer and food stay nice and cold. Never do I worry about stuff getting warm and going bad.

Same reason I like tachometers, temperature gauges, and battery volt meters- just one more thing to monitor while driving. Plus I don't have a read out on my old school Norcolds, so it's good to know the quantitative difference between 1.5 and 2 on the dial. :p:

rover67
10-08-2012, 04:42 PM
makes sense... not I am wondering how accurate the readout is on mine vs. actual temp.

maybe a science project is in order..

DaveInDenver
10-08-2012, 05:01 PM
It ain't rocket surgery. Put the bulb of the thermometer in a glass of distilled water and set in your freezer. When water throughly resembles a hockey puck, read display and note offset from 0C.

rover67
10-08-2012, 05:18 PM
i know i know :D

but my fridge has the sensor embedded in the wall of the cooler.

Corbet
10-08-2012, 05:58 PM
There is a pretty big difference in temp between the top and bottom of my Engel. If I have it set for 33* in the top baskets bottom items become solids.