PDA

View Full Version : 82 Hilux

chilitoy
10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, I guess it's time to post this due to a little one on the way, and well you know the rest. I am the 2nd owner of this truck. Bought it in 03' bone stock and have done all the work and pretty much turned every bolt on this thing, besides taking the body off. Only real rust on the floor boards by wheel well. Bed has a little. Truck is pretty clean inside, out, under, and in great shape. Dash pad is cracked like every ones.

1982 Toyota Hilux
New 22re with 5,600 miles. Fresh EFI conversion using O.R.S. wiring harness w/250 miles on it
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, gaskets
Downey headers, 2" exhaust
Newer radiator
5 spd tranny w/ custom short throw shifter, getting noisy in 3rd and 5th
Marlin dual t-case adapter stock gears w/ custom twin sticks
4runner seats
Front axle:
ARB locker, V6 third member, 5:29's
TG stronger than stock birfields
5" Skyjacker springs
Hy-steer
Gussted and armored
1.5" spacer
Rear axle:
2000 Tacoma V6 with e-locker, O.R.S. wiring harness, 5:29's
Armored
4" TG 63" springs
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on 15x10 black steel, with tons of tread
Half/ tube doors with snap on vinyl "doors" with zip down windows
Regualar doors
12" bed bob
Smittybilt XR8 winch, never even unrolled except to see if worked
Bumpers, sliders, cage, armor, everything metal is custom made down to the gas pedal
*Truck does not any emissions stuff, and is registered as a collector vehicle, so I don't have to worry about it, but I think it is all different now, not sure

This thing performs really well on the trail. I really haven't got to use it a whole lot, mainly because I was building it. Always drive it pretty gently, never beating on it. Drives down the highway at 70-75 no problem, comfortably. Drive it to the trail, wheel it, drive home, was the whole idea while building.

Asking $6500 or maybe trade for a 97-02 V6 4runner, + cash.

Corbet
10-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Cool truck, good luck with the sale.

chilitoy
10-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure if I priced this too high, just thought I'd start there. Can someone tell me if I'm in the ball park. Can also send more pics if needed. Also, the + plus cash on trade would be from me towards the 4runner. Thanks.

MDH33
10-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Looks like a nice truck and your price seems fair compared to other rigs I've seen on CL lately. It's a real niche vehicle though, and wheeling season is winding down, so it might take time to find the right buyer.

I'm in the same boat as you. Need to find a more family friendly rig.

Good luck with the sale.

Edit: meant to ask you what year/model those seats are? Looking for something to replace the blown out seats in my '80 hilux.

chilitoy
10-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Seats are from a 2nd gen SR5 4Runner. They have the pockets on the back, which is awsome for storage in the small cab.

MDH33
10-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Seats are from a 2nd gen SR5 4Runner. They have the pockets on the back, which is awsome for storage in the small cab.

Did you have to fabricate mounts for those to bolt in?

Might need to make a trip to Yota Jim's soon.

:thumb:

J Kimmel
10-13-2012, 10:53 AM
boy thats a nice truck :)

I think its a little high personally, but its a good place to start and see what sort of interest you get. Might be too high for some but someone thinks its worth it. I bet you get pretty close to that, its super clean :thumb:

chilitoy
10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Think I got 3 out of 4 holes, and had to drill and bolt one. Might have only been on one seat.
Did you have to fabricate mounts for those to bolt in?

Might need to make a trip to Yota Jim's soon.

:thumb:

nuclearlemon
10-13-2012, 03:53 PM
you have a great rig...with no doors.

it's almost winter time. people need doors for their rigs. not only for warmth but because the rig will get trashed by bad weather.

no offense, but i hate people expecting high dollars for rigs that are not all weather. i can buy a rig with the same off road capabilities that is lockable and weather safe. by putting no doors, or half doors, you've cut the value of the rig, imo

DaveInDenver
10-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Like has been said, pretty specific truck for the money. I'd love a first gen but it would need full doors and bed to really be of any interest. I think it going to be a waiting game to find the right buyer but he/she is out there somewhere.

Martin, I'm fairly certain that all seat from 1979-1995 are basically interchangeable. I put seats from a 1992 4Runner in my '91 and 7 of 8 bolts lined up. My guess is his was like mine, the inside front bolt on the driver's seat did not line up or was not there. This is because the truck (like mine) had a bench seat from the factory. The bigger problem IMHO is the seat belt hardpoints are a little different between bench and bucket trucks. I ended up drilling a new one for the driver's side and using a reinforced floor mount designed for drag cars.

chilitoy
10-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I have the original doors and are painted and bedlined like the rest of the truck. The snap on vinyl "doors" are not totally water tight, but in a summer storm they protect you and keep you dry. In the winter, put the stock doors on, and you're back to a regular truck. Even did the mod, so it only takes a max of 10 minutes to change them out by yourself. You only have to remove 2 bolts. Seat belts are in stock location, never had to touch them.

chilitoy
10-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Center console also watertight, locking and theftproof. And it took me forever to cut up a rustfree shortbed, but it happened. And yes, not the right truck for everyone, not even me obviously. Thanks for the input and I value your opinions. Its definitely hard to put a price on something you've put so much time, thought, love, and $$$$ into an actual price. :beer:

nuclearlemon
10-14-2012, 07:42 AM
the no emissions is a killer too. only 75 and earlier can get past it now.

TIMZTOY
10-15-2012, 12:50 AM
it a little high, but close enough to the ball park..
hell thats what "OBO" is for..

beautiful truck by the way

i highlly suggust taking more photos for your add.. one with the half doors with the vinly installed.. and one with the full doors installed.. that way people can really see what the truck is, no matter what the situation/weather..

personally i dont care about the vinly.. i have half doors and no covers.. because ****! isnt that why you installed half doors in the first place.. i'd expect that one would install half doors with the expectation of rain entering the cab, and should already have the interior prep'd for such weather..

and its a 80's truck.. if someone wanted to steal it they would and could. doors wont stop them !

DaveInDenver
10-15-2012, 06:29 AM
the no emissions is a killer too. only 75 and earlier can get past it now.
Since he's put in a 22R-E seems like it wouldn't be as difficult to re-smog compared to tracking down all the OE pieces from 1982. Probably just took off the EGR and blocked the air injection ports. There's not much emissions stuff you can remove from a 22R-E and have it still run. Plus, there's only a million of them out there to pick over for the pieces.

AxleIke
10-15-2012, 01:05 PM
I disagree with most here. I'd expect 8 for that truck. 6500 is a bargain. It is niche, but there are lots looking for exactly this vehicle. Not so much here on this site, it seems.

Great looking rig, and good luck with the sale. If I had the cash, i'd buy it in a heart beat.

chilitoy
10-15-2012, 03:02 PM
I'll get some more pics up soon. The emissions is exactly as Dave described, put the EGR set up back on, catalytic converter, a few vaccum lines. I took it off because I could,and there are some folks from the mountains on here and they don't have to worry either. Thanks guys!

TIMZTOY
10-15-2012, 11:37 PM
dont they emmision by age of car not drivetrain.
if its a 82 did they even have those emmisions from the factory ?
my 84 passed emmsions without a cat when carburated and when efi.

hell list it for 8,000 the worst is you get offered less.
a serious buyer would offer what he thought was right. and a lookyloo will just bottom dollar you. and you most likely wouldnt want to sell it to them anyways

DaveInDenver
10-16-2012, 06:35 AM
dont they emmision by age of car not drivetrain.
if its a 82 did they even have those emmisions from the factory ?
my 84 passed emmsions without a cat when carburated and when efi.
It is by age of the car until you do an engine swap. The vehicle has to retain all the emissions gear from the donor vehicle when you swap engines and the engine must come from the same year or newer. What I don't know is whether the test is to the 1982 levels or the donor year. The title still says 1982 but a modern engine would have OBD-II and all that.

rover67
10-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Dave, you are correct with all of the above as far as I have experienced anyways.

As far as what they test to, in my experience it is to the standards for the vehicle the doner motor came from. BUT ultimately it is up to whatever the person enters at Air Care place when you get the paperwork done. I am sure some folks have the standards from the original vehicle entered as limits.

Anyways, for example in in my rig ('85 FJ60 with '03 chevy Vortec) it is tested to the '03 Silverado standards the motor came out of, has OBD-II, and all the emissions equipment from the '03 silverado.

Either way, again as stated above, getting the emissions stuff and setting it up would be easy on this thing. I wouldn't let it be a barrier to purchase it.

Just my opinion.

Nice rig BTW.

baja1d
10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
I'll get some more pics up soon. The emissions is exactly as Dave described, put the EGR set up back on, catalytic converter, a few vaccum lines. I took it off because I could,and there are some folks from the mountains on here and they don't have to worry either. Thanks guys!

You are correct regarding emissions. Clear Creek, Park, & a handful of other counties do not require regardless of year. I just registered my 80 in Clear Creek & they never asked about emissions; Park County was the same way.

chilitoy
10-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Sold.