PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I love graphs...

Red_Chili
10-17-2012, 09:45 AM

That is not counting the check I got FROM Xcel for $57 last week.

I know, I know, the cloudy cold days are coming an I will actually have to pay something... but still.
:lmao:

DaveInDenver
10-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Cool. What panels, controller and transfer/grid tie did you use? What did your system cost to install and what's the capacity?

Red_Chili
10-17-2012, 11:36 AM
PM sent. The contractor did a fine job, and I used to design control system racks so I am picky... ;)

smslavin
10-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Cool. What panels, controller and transfer/grid tie did you use? What did your system cost to install and what's the capacity?

i've got the same questions. i really want to do this.

I used to design control system racks

what kind of hardware and for what type of industry?

Red_Chili
10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
i've got the same questions. i really want to do this.
I will send you the same PM, but... it depends on the install, history of electrical usage and therefore sizing, etc.

I really like Joe Dudek with CCS Solar. He is liberal, his master electrician is hyper conservative, they are good friends, they do excellent work on time and on budget, they understand the solar industry, and they are very entertaining to listen to around campaign time... :lmao:
303-570-5404
Tell them I sent you because I get a kickback. But I would recommend them regardless.

what kind of hardware and for what type of industry?
A-B PLC 5s and SLC 500s over redundant fiber running thousands of point I/O as a systems integration backbone (access control, video, fire, etc.) for federal, state and county prisons. I learned a LOT. Ran an enthusiastic team of non-degreed engineers who were excellent draftsmen but had no field experience. I was the inverse (was still non-degreed...). Found out I am a good boss and know what it takes. Favorite job so far... however brief. The company was not well positioned in a very tough industry niche.

DaveInDenver
10-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey, didn't know you did controls. Me too, at Toyoda-Gosei in Perryville, MO, and MG Industries in St. Louis. Since moving here was over at PAI-Honeywell, Coors, Medtronic and Easter-Owens. Did prison door controls (most of that was relay logic at the time) at EO, small world. Otherwise did mostly robotic medical device (heart valves) and SRS (TG made air bag steering wheels for the Camry) assembly, brewery process controls (batching, malting, filling, canning) and non-carbonated beverage packaging (we developed a novel application for nitrogen gas at MGI). That was before I finished my BSEE and left the glorious world of PLCs for aerospace. I was proficient with SLC-5xx, PLC-5, GE-Fanuc and SIMATIC.

smslavin
10-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Holy hell. PLC5s. I haven't seen one of those in years. Most of what I work with these days is either a MicroLogix or a ControlLogix as I work for Rockwell Automation/AB.

Ladder logic was never my strong point and after watching a guy shut down an entire plant while editing live, I leave it alone. These days I work on the front end for solutions to push the controller data into the cloud. Automation never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for the PM.

rover67
10-17-2012, 04:28 PM
I built a fan controller for my smoker using an arduino and some C++ I pasted together and kinda wrote. can I hang with yall?

Red_Chili
10-17-2012, 04:40 PM
:lmao:
Dave you shame me. All I did was toys in comparison. EO huh? Small world indeed. We know the same people no doubt (and the same... ahem... quality of industry for that niche, what a good ol' boy's network THAT was!).

Marco I've seen your work. You can hang with anybody anywhere.

Holy hell. PLC5s. I haven't seen one of those in years. Most of what I work with these days is either a MicroLogix or a ControlLogix as I work for Rockwell Automation/AB.

Ladder logic was never my strong point and after watching a guy shut down an entire plant while editing live, I leave it alone. These days I work on the front end for solutions to push the controller data into the cloud. Automation never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for the PM.We gotta share a beer sometime. What you do and what I do are converging. Sounds extremely interesting.

Ladder logic was like a revelation to me. Combinational relays became SOOO simple after that. The light bulb came on when I learned to read from right to left, working uphill. Yeah, that was the dark ages... we used PC board designer software to do point to points and terminations/I-O labels, then imported to Autocad for wiring and panel documentation, then exported from the PC design software to delimited text, then imported to spreadsheets to replicate blocks in bulk, then exported to text, then imported to A-B programming software, then loaded the PLCs with the same labels as the physical wire tags. Boom. The feds liked it.

I am still too linear to be worth a damn in software coding. Too many simultaneous variables. Troubleshooting and support, you bet. The curious thing is, when it came to doing professional psychotherapy, it was the inverse. Somehow my brain can handle multiple variables in the soft sciences, but I lose it when I try to write code. Business processes, production processes, I get.

The brain is a very strange thing. But... <with amazing finesse he returns to the thread topic> solar makes soooo much sense technically, financially, and ethically to ALL the parts of my brain!!!!

Ta-da. :rolleyes: